Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an idea...

It started off like this...

I was planning a trip to the west coast, and naturally I would want to bring little Snoops with me. I hate to say, but sometimes it can be tricky to really enjoy my time away because I have Snoops to tend to. He's not allowed in many establishments and this can be a real problem. I started looking for local daycare services - but how do I know if they are reputable?! Will they know how to care for my Snoops? will they know the needs of a little poodle?

This got me thinking... this forum has members from world wide. What if we started a baby sitters club? We all know the needs of poodles, and we all consider them to be wonderful and precious and have an appreciation and understanding for poodles and their owners...

So, if you are in my town and want to spend the day site-seeing, drop your poodle off with me. If I'm in your town, I can drop Snoops off with you...

Would something like this work? Would anyone be up for trying this?

Just a thought :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Thats an interesting idea if the dogs didn't mind being in a new place wth a new dogs.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True Wonder Pup... personally, I know Snoops would really welcome any new poodles who visit. Socks would as well - she is very gentle and maternal. They both love play dates!
Snoops is a bit bossy at times... I admit. He likes to tell the others what to do.. but he does it with love :kiss:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That's an interesting idea. I know that my poodles are welcoming of other dogs but maybe not everyone's are.

And, of course, I live in the middle of nowhere so if anyone is going nowhere, this is the place to leave your poodles. I guarantee a full day of play and fun in our very big (nearly 4-acres) yard. Fresh water is plentiful but you should bring your own food as we know very few use the same diet. See you on the way to nowhere! LOL

I hope that you find some people who can really offer the services, cuddleparty.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's an interesting idea. I know that my poodles are welcoming of other dogs but maybe not everyone's are.

And, of course, I live in the middle of nowhere so if anyone is going nowhere, this is the place to leave your poodles. I guarantee a full day of play and fun in our very big (nearly 4-acres) yard. Fresh water is plentiful but you should bring your own food as we know very few use the same diet. See you on the way to nowhere! LOL

I hope that you find some people who can really offer the services, cuddleparty.

LOL SpooSpirit... :)
You'd be surprised... I find myself in some *strange* locales at times.

·
Registered
210 Posts
When I had my greyhound the adoption group would put you in contact with other greyhound owners for this reason. I had a couple watch mine and it went great. They did it for free wouldn't take anything said it was no bother so I sent them a gas card in a thank you note and offered to watch theirs if need be.

I'm in the middle of nowhere too, really if you get in contact with a group of people obsessed enough with their dogs to post on a dog forum then they would probly treat your dogs pretty good LOL!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I had my greyhound the adoption group would put you in contact with other greyhound owners for this reason. I had a couple watch mine and it went great. They did it for free wouldn't take anything said it was no bother so I sent them a gas card in a thank you note and offered to watch theirs if need be.

I'm in the middle of nowhere too, really if you get in contact with a group of people obsessed enough with their dogs to post on a dog forum then they would probly treat your dogs pretty good LOL!
LOL.. my thoughts exactly! I would treat each one of ya'lls poodle like they were my very own :)
Us "crazy" dog forum people... LOLOLOL!

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
We are out in the county- on our 12 acres - but only about 20 miles to the University of Alabama. it would be fun to have a playmate and let Asta just be a dog. Maybe I could work up a sign and post it on campus. Pet sitting, I don't know but I do think play dates would be great.

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Was hoping for such a group in Upstate NY?
We are out in the county- on our 12 acres - but only about 20 miles to the University of Alabama. it would be fun to have a playmate and let Asta just be a dog. Maybe I could work up a sign and post it on campus. Pet sitting, I don't know but I do think play dates would be great.
This thread's 11 years old, but it's a neat idea. I'd love knowing we had Peggy-friendly spots all across the country.

Our doors are always open in western Washington. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure if this applies to anyone here, but the app Sniffspot has been recommended to me (not useful for boarding tho I think). Maybe they could expand into that area given proper background checks on both the owners and dogs?

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
Not sure if this applies to anyone here, but the app Sniffspot has been recommended to me (not useful for boarding tho I think). Maybe they could expand into that area given proper background checks on both the owners and dogs?
That would be the service Rover provides.

Sniffspot is a listing of local spots you can take your dog for a run. Like Airbnb, but for yards.

It's actually a really great option if you don't have a fenced yard of your own. The going rate around here is about $6/hour.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Sisko would like to play with someone😁 I'd pet sit too if anyone needed. I'm leaving up dog walking flyers around my apartment complex Friday, and I'm in the process of signing up for Rover. I've had to wait because my bank still hasn't sent my card.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That would be the service Rover provides.

Sniffspot is a listing of local spots you can take your dog for a run. Like Airbnb, but for yards.

It's actually a really great option if you don't have a fenced yard of your own. The going rate around here is about $6/hour.
Gotcha! And Wag is for just getting your dog walked. I've heard some horror stories from Rover/Wag, so I'm not sure what to believe. I guess the solution is to get pet insurance before using these apps?

I'd be more than happy to pet-sit any of your spoos :) Unfortunately I'm super inexperienced right now, so I'm probably a last-resort candidate. Would y'all be comfortable with maintaining a vague PF directory with general locations?

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
I've heard some horror stories from Rover/Wag, so I'm not sure what to believe.
There are absolutely horror stories, just like there are nanny horror stories, and so on. There's a lot of trust involved on your part, and a huge amount of responsibility on theirs. So definitely do your homework.

Rover is really just a platform for connecting people with pet owners. Like a bulletin board but more helpful. It facilitates easy bookings, payments, etc. It's still up to the owner to conduct interviews and take precautions. That's actually why we got an indoor security camera.

Any time people spot a chance to make a quick buck, someone's going to take advantage, so definitely do your homework to weed those people out as best you can.

The sitter we found is so in demand that she's actually left the app now.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I pet sit in my neighborhood and stay fairly busy and my friend who also lives in the neighborhood also sits. I actually got her started a few years back when I was busy with babysitting and just didn't have much time. Now that I've retired from babies I'm back to dogs but I only do a limited number. When i was young I use to pet sit in my home. It went very well I worked with my groomer and she sent me referrals. Now that I'm older I just sit in the neighborhood and visit their home basically 4x a day or more if needed. Right now I'm sitting for a geriatric dog and he requires me to go 5 x a day. It keeps me busy enough. Its a good job for a young person who loves animals as long as they are responsible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in the Washington, DC area with a fenced back yard so - once we're all allowed to actually travel again - I'd be happy to host an out of town poodle! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts