Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Poodle Forum!

My 11 yo son has dog allergies but also needs a service dog. He still has allergies with doodle mixes, so we are trying to find a program that trains full breed poodles as service dogs. Any suggestions or referrals will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance, Jennifer

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Welcome! Do you know if he for sure doesn't have allergies with pure poodles? My boyfriend has allergies and they are certainly less bad with my mini, but they are enough that he tries not to touch him very much, and still most days he says his allergies are moderate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
poodle service dog question

Thank you for your concern. I know that when exposed to 6 pure bred poodles that he was fine. He had a problem when exposed to doodle mixes and other breeds. I also know that he will get allergy shots for years regardless. This isn't a decision that we are making lightly, we are consulting with his allergist all the way. Yes, it is complicated that he has dog allergies and requires the use of a service dog, but he has always been complicated. It's my job as his mom to try to figure the whole thing out and make sure that he is healthy and happy. Again, any referrals or suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
I, too, would test your son around purebred poodles to be sure there isn't an allergy issue. Mention to breeders that you are looking for a service dog candidate. I just lucked out with Asta (he was picked by the breeder) I asked for a laid back, non-reactive dog, curious and intuitive. He has developed into a wonderful service dog though until I started training him to a life saving command I had no idea how he would develop. We keep working on new tasks most everyday and of course work on reinforcing the commands he knows. The training is a big commitment but I found so many helpful mentors here on the forum. Good luck and I hope you find your perfect dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes, I HAVE tested him around pure bred poodles. He spent hours with about 6 pure bred poodles all over him, and he was fine. I would never put my child at risk by considering a breed that he would have an allergic reaction to. If anyone on the forum can recommend a service dog organization that trains poodles, I would really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Where are you located? I know Alabama has a Service Dog training program (a non-profit) Don't know about other states but hopefully someone will chime in if they know about the area you are searching.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

We are located in Northern California near San Francisco. As far as we can tell, there aren't service dog programs in our area that train poodles. We are willing to travel within the US/Canada for training. Could you pass along the name of the group in AL? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about service dogs, but maybe try the training part of the forum? I know a lot of people here with service dogs post there fairly regularly. I believe many have trained their dogs themselves, or with assistance from a trainer.if you are comfortable posting what tasks you want the dog to perform, someone would likely have good advice.

Not sure what exactly you are looking for (fully trained dog, raising a dog from puppy hood and getting dog training help, etc) but the Canadian guide and assistance dog association has a list of organizations in Canada (Canadian Association of Guide and Assistance Dog Schools) sorted by province and need type. Is your sons requirement a common one? You may have more luck searching, for example, diabetes dog, or autism support dog, and looking into specific organizations for those issues. Is there a support group or association for his condition? Perhaps they might have trainer recommendations,

He spent hours with about 6 pure bred poodles all over him, and he was fine
. Ok, if this isn't the definition of heaven for an 11 year old, I don't know what is :)

As for allergies- I have strong dog allergies, and mild allergies to my poodle when I first got her. Weekly bathing was necessary, we are now down to every few weeks. As I am sure you know, hard surfaces, leather or vinyl couches rather than upholstery, etc, make allergies much much easier, as every additional allergen in the environment increases the immune response.

Good luck to you and your son!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts