Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poodle scared of strollers, baby due soon. Some tips to help him in addition to what we are doing?

My 2 year old minature poodle, he likes kids okay and have never barked or growled at a child. But he is terrified of baby strollers. He doesn't like dog strollers either unless he is in one.

For some reason he has an irrational fear of strollers. Now maybe it has something to do with he equates the stroller to something a dog uses (he uses a stroller every once in awhile when we go to an event down at the fairgrounds, thats the rule carried or in a dog stroller. He loves people but he isn't too fond of other dogs. So maybe he is thinking dogs are in the stroller.

Never the less out on walks when he sees a stroller he starts barking. Now yesterday he did rather well. We had him out walking and he came across several strollers it was an unseasonably nice day. He starting to bark under his breath so I put him on a tight leash, did our command "beside" (He knows that means he has to walk beside me) whenever he tried to bark I told him "Uh Uh" and then praised him each time he walked by a stoller without making a peep. Using the "beside" command every time we passed by.

he did rather well after the first stroller. He isn't food motivated so we have to motivate with praise.

He did well but he still gets rather ansy and nervous around strollers. He is a quick learner and this is something we have been working on for a while.

Now other than what we are doing is there anything else we should do to help him understand strollers are not something to be afraid of?

My mother has got us a baby stroller as a baby gift but she won't be getting it to us until the baby is born. She just can't get it to us sooner.

And As far as the dog stroller we've already sold it, our local fairgrounds shut down last month so no need for it anymore (again the rules there was dogs can come but have to be carried or in a stroller)

so we can't even try desensitizing using his.

Any tips in addition to what we are already doing?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I think I would look into buying a cheap second-hand stroller and start making him walk next to it to desensitize him. I can't think of anything else that you aren't already doing. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I think I would look into buying a cheap second-hand stroller and start making him walk next to it to desensitize him. I can't think of anything else that you aren't already doing. Good luck!
I second this idea! :) Hope you can work it out... good luck!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
you could even get a little doll toy stroller and work on desensitizing him that way. You might want to stay in the house or backyard (if you have one), people might think you're a bit looney hunched over pushing a toy doll stroller around the neighbourhood :p

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The mental image of that made me laugh, Locket.

It might also work using one of those folding grocery carts. I bought one of those at the supermarket for about $15.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I second this idea! :) Hope you can work it out... good luck!
Third maybe fourth to agree...I would also consider brining the stroller in the house and setting it around and leaving it there. As goofy as it sounds, walk around with it too. Let him sniff it out and get comfortable with it. I did this with the vac cleaner because Aoki was terrified of it. It took a while but she did get used to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts