Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend & I are interested in adoptioning a poodle puppy. The only issue is we don't have $2,000 to buy a 8 week old puppy. I was wondering if there was any poodle rescue places near Boise, Idaho? We're looking for a poodle that is 1 year or younger.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome! If you have Facebook, there are several poodle rescue groups that you can join. Rescue Me! Poodle Rescue is quite active. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Is there a particular reason you want a year or under. I have had 8 toy poodles, and only 3 was under a year. ( 2 were 10 weeks and one 8 months) , 2 have been 15 months and
2 were 3, yrs, and 1 was 5 years (last one. Trained them all the same and they turned out the same, except for the last one which is shy (breeder told me) had her 2 years and she is just about out of the shyness. At a rescue they are more likely to be older than a new puppy. This is over a 50 year period, and the most I paid was 600 for a 3.5 pound and had to have her spayed. Normally my cost is 200 to 300. Although I am sure some were not from the best breeders, but the only one that has had a problem is Bella who is 14 and she has a eye disease that I handle

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
While I support the rescue concept of giving a new home to an older puppy or adult in need of a new family I just wonder if you have the financial plan in place that is needed to deal with medical or other concerns that can be costly if you can't afford the upfront costs of a puppy. The puppy purchase is one of the smallest expenses of a poodle's life (or for that matter most dogs) compared to food, veterinary care, training classes and grooming. A member here just had a sad experience in having to give up her puppy because he needed major knee surgery that their family couldn't afford. If you have thought all that through and have the $$ resources then go for it and I hope you find a nice dog for your home.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I see you are from Alaska. What a gorgeous place! I’ve never seen many poodles when I traveled to Juneau a few years ago. My parents just came back from a nature trip and they went to Fairbanks. Most of the dogs I’ve seen there were Spitz group and very few poodles. It might be a challenge finding one in a rescue where the population density is low. There will probably be many poodle mixes in Anchorage area.

Lily also raises a good point about the cost of maintaining a dog. Emergency or chronic illness can add up over time. For example, my last two visits to the vet has been over $800 each. Although pricing might be a lot cheaper in Alaska and I do believe you don’t have to be rich to own a dog, it might be good to plan ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts