Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a member on another forum (a Great Dane forum) and a member made this post....

So a about two months ago My great grandmother started bugging us about wanting a dog. She lives alone and wants some sort of companion but would not take a cat. IMO cats can be easier than dogs when it comes to a old person taking care of them. We told her it had to be a older potty trained dog. So we looked on craigslist. We found a free 3 year old maltese poodle mix that needs a forever home. His names James.

We go to pick him up with grandma. When we get there the lady who is giving him away lives in a small apartment with 8 little kids and 10 small adult dogs and 8 puppies. She was obivously a BYB using her dogs to make a quick buck but now she is getting kicked out so all the dogs must go. The little kids were kicking the dogs around and throwing some of them. Poor little James just sat in the corner hiding. He is shy but loves to sit in your lap. I think the kids just scared the hell out of him. The other dogs were crazy. Grandma ended up picking james.

She takes james home for a week. He is potty trained but she only takes him out once in a while and sometimes he has a accident because she didn't take him out. She also started locking him in the bathroom when she is gone so he ripped up the toilet paper. She did this like 5 more times each time setting him up to fail. She finally called and said i don't want him come get him. this was about one week after she got him. I went and picked him up and she started talking to me about getting a new dog. I said no freaken way. sorry I don't mean to be mean to her but I can't keep doing this.

James came to live with us for the night. We called all the no kill shelters no one seemed to have any room. I was not about to drop him off at our major shelter because they would for sure kill him. So I did the best thing I knew which was craigslist. (we cant keep james because we have too many dogs as it is) I put in up and listed all his facts and wrote a whole paragraph about his calm side. I got tons of emails.

I talked to this one lady who really wanted him and seemed like she would really love him. She came and checked him out and took him home. James did great she kept calling me telling me how great it was that he was so calm and didn't bark. Her daughter loved him a lot. this went on for four days then all of a sudden i get a call yesterday saying "james will not play with my daughter so we don't want him anymore" I told them he wasn't a playfull dog he just loved to be with you. So she didn't even tell me when she was bringing him back I just happend to come out the door at about 12 noon and saw that they dropped by and tied him out front to the tree. We also gave them a brand new collar and leash that they never brought back. they tied him with rope. The poor guy was shaking. and it had to be over 100 degrees outside I have no idea how long he was there for. He came inside an perked right up and seemed happy to be back. Sadly we still can't keep him.

This just really sucks because I am trying not to get attached to him but he is doing his best to make that happen. I had to list him again and this time I am going to make sure the next people for sure want him. It just pisses me off!! We got him into this mess by getting him for my grandmother. I feel like its my fault. so today hopefully we find a good home. Its just not right that he has been to 5 different homes counting ours twice within the last month. I hope the 6th home is his last. I never wanted this for him.

The girl who has him now obviously can't keep him. I've been PM'ing her.....this dog seems like such a sweetheart. It kills me that he hasn't been able to catch a break. He's a mini poo/maltese mix, as best as she can tell. Do any of you know of a poodle rescue in Vegas?

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wish I could help :( but I'm too far away and am getting a new pup shortly. I hate what people put innocent animals through. Sometimes I feel that people should be required to take a test and have a license to own a pet (I often feel the same way about parenting but that's a whole nuther thread).

I hope you, or a friend of a friend on this forum can help this dog.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
call the vets as well- they might have clients looking.

Call any rescue in the area- there must be a rescue - and if your ableto foster him until a home is found. Then the placement is through the rescue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts