Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I joined this site quite a few years ago & I just saw in my inbox that I needed to make a list in this forum to unlock all the features to use this site. Anyways my boyfriend & I are looking to adopt a standard poodle puppy. The only a issue is we don't have $2,000 to buy an 8 week old puppy. We are looking for a puppy that is 1 year or younger. I am new to looking for puppies so I'm not sure where exactly to start. We live in Idaho & I was wondering if anyone knows of any poodle rescue places near Boise, ID?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Hi

I'm not in your area, so I first went to the Poodle Club of America website. They have listings by state for breeder referrals which sometimes list rescue as well.

I didn't see any in Idaho, which doesn't mean there aren't any, just not listed thru PCA. There are some in nearby states, so you might need to expand your search area. Many rescue organizations want to be able to visit your home to see the environment, so you'll need to ask any you do find if they will adopt out of area.

Another small but occasional option is with a breeder who may need to rehome a pup, or sometimes they have a retiring stud or dam.

It's very true and, honestly worthwhile in the long run, that a pup from a quality breeder will be expensive, but you can look at it as insurance for you and the pup. Part of what you get for that price should be a healthy, socialized pup who comes from health certified parents.

You might benefit from researching then contacting some breeders to introduce yourself and make some connections. Let them know you're looking for an older pup or a young adult. Sometimes things happen in the most surprising ways.

One thing to keep very solidly in mind is that whether you pay a lot or a little or find a pup alone on the on the street, accidents and illnesses can and do happen and you'll still find yourself in a position of having to come up with money to bring the pup back to health or find someone who will take the pup and give it all the care needed. Pet insurance or an emergency fund can be a literal lifesaver. A member here just went thru this exact situation, couldn't afford the care for their new pup after an injury and had to find a new home for their four legged baby. If money is a concern up front, it doesn't get less expensive down the road.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but it's critical that you think in terms of 10-15 years of daily, routine and emergency expenses.

just saw that you got similar responses in the other thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts