Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was looking for a raincoat for Theo, my minipoo puppy that didn’t interfere with the boy parts for bathroom breaks.

I ordered size medium because it would fit Theo now (13” at the withers) as well as my adult minipoo Babykins (15+” at the withers).

It’s a nice horse blanket style coat, beautiful vibrant signal yellow with a reflective strip which would make it easier to see dogs at night. Well made, strong Velcro, sewn neatly.

Fabric is a polyester/polyurethane material used in raincoats......definitely waterproof. Personally I’m not fond of this material for human raincoats because it doesn’t breathe, however if you want waterproof this is what you want.

It fit well and looked cute.....except this is not a good coat for a male. You can see in the photo above the strap under the chest is too far down the chest. The medium on Theo would be definitely at risk of being peed on.

It’s going back. I’m a little sad because I love a signal yellow slicker to inject a little sun 🌞 on a gloomy rainy day.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did. Well I’m back on the hunt. Poor puppy was drenched several times yesterday and came inside looking like a wet mop.

I don’t put a raincoat on the dogs when it’s lightly raining but this would be perfect for those heavy heavy downpours.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
What about buying a handmade one off Etsy and working with the seller to place the strap where it needs to be?

Here’s an example of a cute handmade Etsy raincoat:

Handmade Dog Rain Coat and Custom Dog Coats ALL breeds | Etsy

Newport <——etsy addicted

*edited to add a link to something that is actually handmade to order

Reactions: Starla

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
I've had good luck with horse-style blankets from tack shops like Dover Saddlery. Zulu had a Weatherbeeta, and Mia has the Rider's. I think it would work for a male, as the straps cross further up the chest, but I guess it depends on where the equipment is and how it's aimed.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
That Danish Design is really cute. I haven’t found a US seller, but Amazon-UK will ship to the US.

·
Premium Member
6,961 Posts
FWIW
The fit is a bit different on each boy, same brands but different sizes. I can say that since both are leg lifters, which does change the angle of stream, neither has ever come in with the understrap wet from pee.

My reluctant models
Neo in size M Jelly Wellies raincoat, Remo in S

Neo in 32 Degrees down puffer M, Remo in S

Maybe the S would fit Theo better for now? When the price was low enough, I bought several sizes for each, not knowing where they'd end up in size, figuring I could donate or just keep the extras for backup.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about buying a handmade one off Etsy
I have a sewing machine and I guess if I can’t find anything I may just make my own.

I've had good luck with horse-style blankets from tack shops like Dover Saddlery. Zulu had a Weatherbeeta, and Mia has the Rider's. I think it would work for a male, as the straps cross further up the chest, but I guess it depends on where the equipment is and how it's aimed.
Liz, I have several coats from Dover, including a weatherbeeta, Rambo etc. and all are well made. My daughter loves to buy my older minipoo coats to match her hors blankets so when we visit she matches. I wanted a hood that covers the topknot and ear fluff.

My minis wear a Danish design 2 in 1 raincoat. They’re both males and I’ve not had an issue with them peeing on the strap as it sits closer to their chest. It’s not as far back as the one that you had and it comes in lots of colours.
Interesting design. I found some on Amazon in random sizes.

Rose n’poos, the medium fit him nicely going smaller would be too small. But its helpful to see and understand how the fit changes with each dog. Thanks for the photos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.