Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father passed away a few weeks ago and my mom current poodle dog is 12 years old. I would like to find her another puppy or young dog poodle so she will have another dog to love before her current dog passes as well.

Any help would greatly be appreciated

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
My father passed away a few weeks ago and my mom current poodle dog is 12 years old. I would like to find her another puppy or young dog poodle so she will have another dog to love before her current dog passes as well.

Any help would greatly be appreciated
I am so sorry for your very recent loss. I was still in shock for several months after Daddy died. You are looking ahead with hope, I can see.

People here can help you steer to reputable sources who won't take advantage at a still tender time. If you can share a bit about your location, as Johanna asked, it will help people make suggestions ❤?.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
I'm so sorry for your family's loss :(

A puppy is a challenge at the best of times, but I struggled a little extra while I was grieving. It was a welcome distraction, for sure, but sometimes we also need space to mourn.....and puppies don't really allow that.

Just something to consider as you help your mother navigate this very difficult time. I love Peggy completely, but do sometimes think I'd have been wiser to have gotten an adult dog from a good breeder. Unfortunately, they're fewer and further between, so it might take some more time to find a good match.

Hoping you get some good suggestions here. ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are in Arizona Phoenix, but willing travel. If not too far. My mom has dogs all her life so she knows the responsibility. I'm thinking a toy poodie would be best. She would love a red... but not picky on color
I appreciate the help

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I'd thought there'd be replies but we may not have many members in that area. I keep some links handy to start a search so...

This link should get you to pages which direct you to folks within PCA who can help with breeder referrals for your desired area.

These are AKC registered breeders but review their websites thoroughly. Look for OFA, CHIC health testing info in the site. If not on the website, ask the breeder to provide all health testing results and links (this will be on the dam and sire fyi). In fact, do that with any breeder you make contact with. A quality breeder will not hesitate to show the health documentation.

"Poodle Breeders" Standard Poodles, Miniature Poodles, Toy Poodles Breeders Directory!
All the breeders listed here are required to do appropriate health testing in order to list on that site.

Breeders here all do appropriate health testing.

Another site with multiple breeders listed. Use the same caution.

Most of us aren't breeders and don't have poodles for the purpose of showing, they are our loving companions. We are grateful tho to the breeders who do take the time and spend the money to prove and health test their dogs so we can have our healthy and well bred pets.

There are some sub forums here where you can find discussions of breeders recommended, and some, not so much. They're listed at the top of Poodle Talk.

Use Advanced search to look for breeders in your area mentioned on the forum
Contact a few breeders to introduce yourself. Even if they don't have or don't offer what you're looking for, it can be a close knit community. They may know where to refer you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts