Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Stella, spoo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I have an 11 wk old Standard Poodle. We take her outside frequently for potty breaks and playtime. Ever since we got her at 8 wks, whenever she was outside, she would eat grass and dirt. Recently, whenever she eats grass, she throws up. I really need advice on stopping her from eating grass, dirt, twigs...etc

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
What does your vet say? Is your puppy otherwise healthy and gaining weight appropriately? How are her poops? Could her diet be deficient in some nutrients? Does she have access to other fresh foods?

Here are some good resources for you:

Peggy's munched soil for as long as we've had her. In fact, all the puppies in her puppy class loved snatching mouthfuls of mole hill dirt when they were playing outside. It's not uncommon for Peggy to enjoy some grass on occasion, too.

When she was vomiting frequently as a puppy, it was because she wasn't digesting her food properly. Have you considered switching up your puppy's diet? What is she currently eating?

Puppies also just generally explore the world with their mouths, and if they lack other activities/stimulation while they're outside, the most interesting thing will be whatever they can find on the ground. If the behaviour gets your attention, even better! In excess, this can definitely lead to tummy upset (or worse) so you want to try and be the most interesting thing in your puppy's world. Play lots of "follow me" games and have safe toys and chews available at all times, especially during teething.

Also practise lots of trading. You want your puppy to hear the words "leave it" and think "Oh yay!! My human's got something even BETTER for me! And wow! I get to have the original item, too?!" (Only if it's safe, of course.)

This is actually something we're working on over in our monthly trick club. Just click the link in my signature to follow along. :)

·
Registered
Stella, spoo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does your vet say? Is your puppy otherwise healthy and gaining weight appropriately? How are her poops? Could her diet be deficient in some nutrients? Does she have access to other fresh foods?

Peggy's munched soil for as long as we've had her. In fact, all the puppies in her puppy class loved snatching mouthfuls of mole hill dirt when they were playing outside. It's not uncommon for Peggy to enjoy some grass on occasion, too.

When she was vomiting frequently as a puppy, it was because she wasn't digesting her food properly. Have you considered switching up your puppy's diet? What is she currently eating?

Puppies also just generally explore the world with their mouths, and if they lack other activities/stimulation while they're outside, the most interesting thing will be whatever they can find on the ground. If the behaviour gets your attention, even better! In excess, this can definitely lead to tummy upset (or worse) so you want to try and be the most interesting thing in your puppy's world. Play lots of "follow me" games and have safe toys and chews available at all times, especially during teething.

Also practise lots of trading. You want your puppy to hear the words "leave it" and think "Oh yay!! My human's got something even BETTER for me! And wow! I get to have the original item, too?!" (Only if it's safe, of course.)

This is actually something we're working on over in our monthly trick club. Just click the link in my signature to follow along. :)
Thank you! We are going to take her to the vet about this this week.

Thank you! We have been feeding our pup Solid Gold,(we are switching her from Hill’s, which the breeder fed to her) but we are reconsidering it because of her vomiting and don’t know if her vomiting is completely based on her eating grass. I’ve noticed that she doesn’t chew her food-she just inhaled it, so it’s harder for her to digest Solid Gold because the pieces are larger . Do you have any advice about that? We are taking her to the vet this week about her vomiting problem. She seems to be growing well, and her poops are normal. We frequently give her fruits and veggies. Her “leave it” is pretty good with treats and kibble, but we are working on generalizing it with grass...etc.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Peggy gave you a lot of great info.

Sometimes Basil would throw up as a puppy because she ate too fast, the vet called it "scarf and barf". Dad (me) called it a waste of perfectly good chicken and carrots.

I chose to hand feed her breakfast to set the pace for her so she slows down. It's a good time to cycle through the tricks or practice new ones.... Like leave it!

Basil would go for a blade of grass or two around that age. I like to think because it's near her eye height that it's new and exciting to play with or eat. Plus, she's still exploring the world with her mouth at that age. She shows very little in grass now at 33 weeks.

Try hand feeding her to see if that's something that works for you and her.

I was worried about vomiting too and the vet assured me that it's part of puppy hood.

Be sure to write your questions down for your apt.

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
Thank you! We are going to take her to the vet about this this week.

Thank you! We have been feeding our pup Solid Gold,(we are switching her from Hill’s, which the breeder fed to her) but we are reconsidering it because of her vomiting and don’t know if her vomiting is completely based on her eating grass. I’ve noticed that she doesn’t chew her food-she just inhaled it, so it’s harder for her to digest Solid Gold because the pieces are larger . Do you have any advice about that? We are taking her to the vet this week about her vomiting problem. She seems to be growing well, and her poops are normal. We frequently give her fruits and veggies. Her “leave it” is pretty good with treats and kibble, but we are working on generalizing it with grass...etc.
Fruits and veggies can be good and bad. It doesn't take much to go overboard, and that will absolutely cause tummy upset. For example, Peggy, as a puppy, would often get a single canned green bean as a daily treat. I found she handled canned better than fresh, and I'd just flash freeze them on a tray and then stick them in a freezer bag.

When I tried giving her pumpkin, she vomited. And when I tried increasing my last girl's veggie intake for weight loss, she got bloody diarrhea.

As far as kibble goes, dogs don't chew the way we do, so that wouldn't worry me. But some kibbles really swell when wet, so it can swell in their stomachs and cause upset. It could also contain an ingredient that's just not agreeing with her.

Is it a puppy formula?

And have you made note of the time(s) of day she vomits and what sort of activity precedes it?

These are all things that can be pieces of the puppy digestion puzzle. :)

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Some dogs vomit because they like eating grass, some eat grass because their stomachs are uncomfortable and they need to vomit. As PtP says I would note timing, sequence, etc for the vet, and look for other signs of possible discomfort, like stretching, lick lipping, salivation, etc.

Reactions: eeeeeek

·
Registered
Stella, spoo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peggy gave you a lot of great info.

Sometimes Basil would throw up as a puppy because she ate too fast, the vet called it "scarf and barf". Dad (me) called it a waste of perfectly good chicken and carrots.

I chose to hand feed her breakfast to set the pace for her so she slows down. It's a good time to cycle through the tricks or practice new ones.... Like leave it!

Basil would go for a blade of grass or two around that age. I like to think because it's near her eye height that it's new and exciting to play with or eat. Plus, she's still exploring the world with her mouth at that age. She shows very little in grass now at 33 weeks.

Try hand feeding her to see if that's something that works for you and her.

I was worried about vomiting too and the vet assured me that it's part of puppy hood.

Be sure to write your questions down for your apt.
We have been hand feeding her meals. Thank for that! It’s comforting to know that there’s someone else who went through the same thing😂

·
Registered
Stella, spoo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fruits and veggies can be good and bad. It doesn't take much to go overboard, and that will absolutely cause tummy upset. For example, Peggy, as a puppy, would often get a single canned green bean as a daily treat. I found she handled canned better than fresh, and I'd just flash freeze them on a tray and then stick them in a freezer bag.

When I tried giving her pumpkin, she vomited. And when I tried increasing my last girl's veggie intake for weight loss, she got bloody diarrhea.

As far as kibble goes, dogs don't chew the way we do, so that wouldn't worry me. But some kibbles really swell when wet, so it can swell in their stomachs and cause upset. It could also contain an ingredient that's just not agreeing with her.

Is it a puppy formula?

And have you made note of the time(s) of day she vomits and what sort of activity precedes it?

These are all things that can be pieces of the puppy digestion puzzle. :)
We’ve been feeding her the sweet potato, chicken, and apple for puppies Fron Solid Gold. As for fruits and veggies, I usually just do something like carrots or apples. When I give her carrots, I give her like, 1/4 or a carrot. And I also give her bits of diced apple. When she vomited, I noticed that it was either 30-60 mins after eating her meals (kibble), or after eating grass and mud when she was outside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts