Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is stated in our pamphlet from our breeder. Our vet disagrees. We did feed an all ages food(purina pro plan) for the first 4 weeks that we have had her. She is 18 weeks(born may 5th) and only 16 lbs. The vet said she was a tad on the small side. The vet did not mention food at this visit but we decided to switch to puppy food(purina pro plan) after we were told she was a tad under sized. What do you guys think. Should they be fed puppy food or not? Is 16 pounds at 18 weeks a big deal or no? I got a rough height measurement of about 16 inches ish. Just wondering what the general consensus on the matter. We figured if she was a tad small we would switch to puppy food for the extra calories. Plus the vet was not a fan of not feeding puppy food. Our pamphlet from the breeder states... "poodle puppies do not eat puppy food. it will cause their bones to develop too fast and their growth rate to be more than their frame can handle. Instead we feed a high quality dog food, and allow up to twice the amount of manufactures suggestions" Thanks for any advice and or opinions.

·
Premium Member
23,228 Posts
For a standard puppy you would want a large breed puppy formula or an all life stages food and for either the best quality you can afford to feed. My poodles did eat large breed puppy food. I don't think your pup sounds so small to worry about. Remember standard poodles are medium/large dogs not giant dogs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We can afford any type food. Went with pro plan because thats what the puppy was eating. Used to use merrick for our other dog but it always had runny stool and never seemed to like it. We switched it to pro plan also and finally has solid stool and gobbles it all up right away.. Maybe I will switch the poodle between puppy food and all ages food for a nice compromise. Just trying to see what everyone else does and what your thoughts were on the no puppy food thing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Puppy food has less filler in it; thereof, more nutrition. If you feed a very high quality food (expensive) there will be other variation between the puppy and adult food.

I have only had one puppy and fed him raw.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Purina is a well below average dog food. Kinda like eating McDonald's for every meal. So if you can afford better, you can really only go up from there.

We feed Nutro Ultra Large Breed Puppy to our 15-week-old spoo. She weighed in at about 21 lbs at 14 weeks, up from 10.8 lbs at 9 weeks (when the vet said she was severely underweight). The reason we use this food is because dogs (in our experience) absolutely love it, it results in nice firm poops, and it rates better than most kibbles.

Our breeder was feeding Diamond Naturals and Peggy threw it up the few times we could even convince her to eat it.

Near the end of our senior Gracie's life, we switched from Nutro to Honest Kitchen just for her dinners, and she loved it. I wish we'd always fed her such a high quality food. But it's super pricy and she was a tiny girl.

Chewy does offer a discount if you order a subscription, and you can update the delivery date any time with no penalty.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I have always fed all life stages food. Currently I feed Purina Pro Plan Sport which is 30% protein and 20% fat. I chose it because it is formulated for working, sporting and high energy dogs. Poppy does extremely well on it. She is crazy active, even at age 3. She is fit without being fat and she free feeds...has access to food all the time. I put down a measured amount in the morning, and if she runs out, which is rate, then I add more. Her adult size is 31" and 45 lbs. during growth spurts as a puppy she would often eat more and she would go through very skinny stages too.

I will add that I have had dogs 65 yrs and have, in the last 30 yrs or so, always free fed my poodles and have never had either a very fat dog or a very skinny one....lean and fit. However, if they had been my beagles I could not have fed this way as they would weigh 400 lbs!

Your pup may be destined, by genetics, to be a small spoo. My Iris was a lovely 21" and 37 lbs. and Poppy is 23" and 45 lbs.

Here is her growth chart, if it would be helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
We used to feed ProPlan focus lamb and rice puppy food. In Canada they discontinued the ppuppy food when it was discovered the adult food is good for all life stages and then we switched to it. Your puppy might just be on the smaller side. Even when we fed puppy food, we recommended adult food after six months of age.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Before we switched to raw, we fed kibble. When I fed kibble, I would never have any puppy not on puppy formula food. Puppies need different things than adult dogs or senior dogs. So I've never believed in 'all life stages' food. The pups I helped with or raised were always started from mother's milk to a prepared gruel, from that to puppy food. Always puppy food.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Our breeder also recommends non-puppy food for standard poodles. We're feeding our puppy (11 weeks old) Eukanuba Premium Performance 30/20 per the breeder's recommendation. I believe the reasoning was the same as you mentioned, that it prevents too-fast growth. For what it's worth, the same breeder does recommend puppy food for toys and minis, just not for standards.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Purina is a well below average dog food. Kinda like eating McDonald's for every meal. So if you can afford better, you can really only go up from there.

Hmmmmm... I don't think that all Purina products are below average. If they were, they would not be used by many well-respected breeders and handlers.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Some breeds need a food with much less protein - I suspect that is why certain kibbles are made that way. My personal opinion is that dogs developed as scavengers - omnivores - so it seems reasonable that good kibble has meat, some grain, and vegetables.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Maybe I'm just judging them harshly based on the ingredients in their lowest quality offerings. But doesn't it say something about the brand that they even make those?
There is a big market for cheap dog food, and I don't necessary think less of them for producing it. I imagine there are quite a lot of pet owners who can't afford anything but the least expensive varieties, and maybe those dogs wouldn't get enough to eat or would end up in shelters if such food wasn't available. Most of us here have the interest and the financial resources to provide high-quality food and care for our dogs, but I don't think we represent typical dog owners.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
It's true that many owners can't afford to feed their animals well. It's also true that many don't know better. I can't help but negatively judge a massively profitable corporation that takes advantage of that.

Here's a detailed analysis of the ingredients in Purina Puppy Chow: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-puppy-chow/

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
It's true that many owners can't afford to feed their animals well. It's also true that many don't know better. I can't help but negatively judge a massively profitable corporation that takes advantage of that.

Here's a detailed analysis of the ingredients in Purina Puppy Chow: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-puppy-chow/

So by using the nutritional breakdown of the cheapest food they make, you are making a judgment about an entire brand. What about their natural formulas, or meat formulas? I am feeding my senior dog, who is very picky, a canned food... Purina One Smartblend beef and chicken. It has 8 ingredients . Beef, chicken, beef broth, liver, pork lung, brown rice, spinach, egg shells. What is wrong with that? My dog eats it readily, his Poos are good, his coat is growing quickly and healthy. They do add vitamins and minerals. I couldn’t really find a canned food that sounded so good.

When Science Diet first came out dogs wouldn’t eat it: it didn’t taste good so they had to create the gravy to put on it. No brand is perfect. Some of the high quality brands use legumes, soy, 3 different variations of peas, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
I'm not sure I should hijack this thread any further by attempting to clarify my position....

I spoke before thinking about how my words might offend. Please accept my apologies. My opinion is simply that - my opinion. And it wasn't needed here.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I'm not sure I should hijack this thread any further by attempting to clarify my position....

I spoke before thinking about how my words might offend. Please accept my apologies. My opinion is simply that - my opinion. And it wasn't needed here.
You have every right to put your opinion out there. That's what a forum is...a collection of opinions, stories, people chatting so to speak. And you don't have to apologize. I think you have a very viable opinion in fact. We all have our ideas of what a good dog food is. Hopefully, we do as much research as we can and make our opinions from that. I know I've done a heck of a lot of reading over the past few years and delving into all kinds of things regarding canine nutrition. I've consulted a nutritionist for animals and gotten advice in the past. I've learned a lot from some of the raw feeders on this forum. So it's an interest of mine and of course, I'm still learning. But I base my opinion on what I've learned and what I've seen and what works or doesn't work for my dogs.

Also, what works well for some dogs may not work as well for others. I'm having a little trouble with two poodle lads who have recently had trouble with impacted anal glands and needed to go to the vet. They eat a couple of different foods that I think are (for a commercial food) good but it seems they, in particular may need a tad bit more fiber. So, that's what I'm adding.

So please don't feel you need to walk on egg shells around here. You can't please everyone ALL the time. You're perfectly polite...just stating your opinion.:amen:

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
PB, I so appreciate your kindness, diplomacy, and wisdom. Thank you ?

We're adding a spoonful of veggies to Peggy's morning kibble because we, too, are suspecting some anal gland trouble. Perhaps her poops are TOO efficient??

These pups sure do keep us on our toes. ❤

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
We used to feed ProPlan focus lamb and rice puppy food. In Canada they discontinued the ppuppy food when it was discovered the adult food is good for all life stages and then we switched to it. Your puppy might just be on the smaller side. Even when we fed puppy food, we recommended adult food after six months of age.
Why do you recommend adult food after 6 months? I have a nine month old mini and still have her on puppy food, although I also feed home cooked and some raw. Should I switch her to an adult food?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts