Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this Friday Jaanu (10 wk old mpoo) had a fall down 5 stairs, he had run up the stairs to chase my mother and in panic I thoughtlessly told him to come to me. So he began to dash down and he fell in a heap on the floor and screamed. He then appeared fine, no limp etc. And became a bit bitey and had a round of zoomies (he had been fairly calm most of the day except when he saw my mother and I in some traditional colorful outfits and got a bit freaked out) and it was around 9 pm when this happened. Saturday he seemed fine, maybe a bit calmer than usual, and today he was a bit more mellow that usual (and I probably am seeing things but his running gait seemed a bit different and he did seem a bit tired and uncoordinated). But then he had a nice poop and all of the energy came back. So maybe it was just indigestion/constipation from a new treat we introduced a few days ago, he has had a few burps too). I am so scared of him having a spinal issue or internal injuries from his fall. It makes me tear up to think about. He doesn't seem to be in any pain though, just a bit sleepier than usual, and a bit more calm (but he was on the trajectory due to training anyway, I have been training him to settle by rewarding that). Though the sudden IVDD stories have scared the life out of me. I have an appt with the vet tomorrow (mon) for his second round of vaccinations, and will definitely bring all of this up. Is there anything else that you all would recommend looking for, or tests you would suggest I ask the vet about? I probably am just over-worrying, but I just want to make sure he'll be okay.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Aww, poor Jaanu. (And you!!!)

At that age, they are all rubber. Not advisable, not good, but he sounds fine, probably just got a big scare and a lesson for him on being careful.

If you want and havent already you could run your hands over him and firmly press all over him including his belly and legs and see if he flinches (a good thing to practice handling anyways), and if he seems tender anywhere, bring it up with the vet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the reply For Want of Poodle, I will definitely examine him like that once he wakes up from his nap. Also one of his ears is back up against his head, and he never really does that. Could that mean something?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I've definitely been there before. On the second day I had Misha he was dropped by a friend of a friend and I was livid but he suffered no real injuries. He kersplatted with his legs splayed and seemed in shock but no obvious pain. Another time when he was very little he tried jumping off the couch and let out a little squeak when he landed but was otherwise fine. After that he was super good about asking me to help him down from the couch. I too was worried about invisible damage, but there has never been evidence that any was done.

I know different people will do things differently, but when Misha was tiny I did not let him jump on and off furniture or let him go up or down stairs until he was big enough that it seemed safe. Maybe 6 months or so. I wanted to keep his hips and knees protected.

I agree that firm pressure touching all over his body is a good way to check for pain. Also extend his limbs in all natural directions to check for pain.

If you truly think there is a gait abnormality, record a video of him walking/trotting and if you want to send it I can tell you if there seems to be any favoring of limbs.

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
I think my biggest worry is always a head injury, perhaps because I've suffered one of my own.

Talk to your vet about your concerns and they will tell you what to watch out for. But he's probably fine. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone, Jaanu got his evening zoomies, and has all of his energy, so hopefully that means everything is fine. Will definitely talk to the vet tomorrow and see what he thinks. Thanks @Raindrops I will try to upload a video tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
It's better safe than sorry and see a vet. I had a moment like that with s new puppy though Lenny was 19 weeks hopping up and down, slipped and fell on his side.
Oh my goodness Len whimpered and lay there, scared me he got up turns out he was just fine. Puppies are not familiar with pain, Lenny was just as startled as I was, I did take him to the vet just to be sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone, thanks so much for the advice on this thread. Jaanu was seen by the vet, who didn't find any issues. I am so happy and relieved. Thank you for the reassurance and for advice on how I could monitor and examine Jaanu before the appt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts