Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me you all get these?

Although it is never delibrate, they use there paws for affection but sometimes those things are lethal! Suri just caught my lip, she was sitting beside me, staring.....she does that a lot, I sware I wonder if she thinks I am going to disappear! Anyway, next came the paw......... - do you allow this or not? I find it hard to not allow because I am a sucker for them doing it ;) but it could hurt I suppose if it's with a child.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cooper paws because he wants to be rubbed. It is his way of asking me for some attention. I am a sucker too!:) Outside of our household he way of getting attention from others is to rub his head on their legs!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I just read in a training book that staring in a dog is a sign of dominance. I wouldn't allow it, as from the sounds of it, she is demanding attention from you. You might want to do something to take her attention away from you when you notice her starring at you. Or make her go lay down. She should get affection and attention when you initiate it; not on demand. And, you are right; you can get hurt really bad that way.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Olie and Suri both paw but I can see where it can be bad if not controled a bit.

On the staring - I guess it isn't really a stare so much as watching me (could be close to the same??) she is very attached to me, literly follows me everywhere - now if I ask her to get up, or go she listens but she does kind of stay on my hip.........but I think spoospirit your right about making her go lay down or something else because I could be fostering her clingyness....glad I posted this, I needed a check in with myself:) GOSH it is the simplist things.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't give into demanding attention. Yes those paws hurt if they are thrown your way without warning. Does she know a command for it like "paw" or "shake?"

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Desmond only paws when we're playing around. It's the cutest thing, I totally love it. He's never demanded attention from me in that way, so I always allow it. I do tell people if they start to get into playing with him that he's got a mean right hook and doesn't hold back!! :) He's caught me on my face before so we stopped and I told him to be more careful while I put off the game for a bit, but we continued playing later and haven't had the problem since.

Honestly though, I wouldn't allow him to play with a child. I mean, fetch is one thing but he never paws then. Wrestling is WAY too intense for a kid and he would knock them down/terrify them. I wouldn't ever let him wrestle with anybody who couldn't handle him, but he can play fetch with anyone who will put up with him. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts