Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to make something to give to Luna’s handler but I didn’t know what would be a good gift. Then I saw someone on Instagram had purchased a craft pumpkin with their breed silhouette on it. I decided to try my hand at it since it is that time of year! I went with a medium sized craft pumpkin after much deliberation because the bigger ones were too tall and thin. This one is probably 10” tall. I made the template myself after googling and trying to find one. None of the silhouettes that I saw were very nice. I also wanted the rosette to be visible rather than just having an outline of the entire dog. And I put some more “breaks” in the outline to make it stronger. I put a little electric candle inside because you definitely wouldn’t want a real flame in the fake pumpkin.

I gave it to Daniel at the show where we picked up Luna and he seemed happy with it. He said it would definitely be going on his front porch! I made another one for my breeder that I still need to get to her and next I need to make one for myself. Here are some pictures showing the process and the final product. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Very cool. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Fabulous. What a clever idea for a gift. It’s perfect.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
I’m not into pumpkins but this one I would definitely put on my porch ! It’s very, very nice !

·
Premium Member
23,231 Posts
Very nice!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Absolutely adorably wonderfully done! And a very thoughtful gift to give!!!!:cute:

P.S. what tool did you use to cut it so nicely?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much everyone! I enjoyed carving pumpkins as a child but the mess that they make hasn’t kept me from doing it for several years now. While these pumpkins make a small mess of white foam, it was nothing compared to real pumpkins. I will say that it hurt my hand to do. I made one for my friend and trainer who has GSDs also and between each pumpkin I have to take a couple of days break because it hurts my hand.

I bought the craft pumpkins at Michaels and they have little packages of craft pumpkin carvers with the regular pumpkin carving kits. They are smaller blades and easier to work with than the larger ones for real pumpkins would be. The medium craft pumpkins were $8-$10 when I bought them (depending on the coupon I had) and the carvers were like $3 for a pack of 3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts