Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I have a toddler! I was just on the phone with our credit card company (fun!) and every 30 seconds or so I'd hear BANG from the kitchen. What the heck? I went to investigate, and lo and behold, there stood one parti poodle, nudging the door to the cabinet that contains the garbage can, and then letting it slam shut:

Nudge.

BANG.

Nudge.

BANG.

In between, she was studying it carefully.

When she noticed me, she abruptly stopped and walked out of the kitchen ("Nothing to see here!"), but a few minutes later: BANG. BANG. BANG.

Is your house poodle-proofed? Or would you approach this more as a training issue?

I wouldn't be surprised if she just wanted my attention, as previously she'd been sadly resting her head in my lap, wondering why I was being so boring. But the fact that it was the garbage cabinet seems mighty suspicious.

I'd rather nip this in the bud before she is rewarded with a mouthful of tasty garbage.

·
Super Moderator
1,450 Posts
I use a metal garbage pail with a pedal lid. I've heard of dogs learning to open these, but mine never have. You could also buy child locks for your cabinets.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I treat it as a training issue but I like to find things the dog works on, on their own, & use it. My Giant Schnauzer can open doors. My Spoo can climb & tunnel like a war dog. He's fearless which is fun for training but he's will find something I'm doing & study it. I'm concerned what he will attempt on his own.

He figures out ways to help me. Of late I needed to shave his belly & sanitary areas. He wasn't impressed with lying down so on his own... he solved the issue. He stands stock still & hikes on hind leg & holds that position for complete belly, privates & inside the hind legs.

Some stuff is helpful, some potential disasters. Anything that leads to counter surfing, cubbard/cabinet opening can be deadly or harmful so I'd stop that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's hope that she doesn't learn to stick a paw in the electric light socket - the other 'mom get off the phone' ploy.
Ha! We addressed that one early, when puppy Peggy decided outlets were very fun things to lick. I sometimes wonder if she got a shock and that's what ultimately got through to her.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of late I needed to shave his belly & sanitary areas. He wasn't impressed with lying down so on his own... he solved the issue. He stands stock still & hikes on hind leg & holds that position for complete belly, privates & inside the hind legs.
This is so cute and SO funny. What a helpful boy.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Right now hes pretending he's a shark. Circling & watching to see if I'm paying attention then he knocked something over & hustled to his crate. LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right now hes pretending he's a shark. Circling & watching to see if I'm paying attention then he knocked something over & hustled to his crate. LOL

So funny! Can't recall if it was someone here or on Instagram who described their poodle's "long con" with a gingerbread house, paying it zero attention for weeks until the humans finally let down their guard and he snagged it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
LOL, Mr. Layne would be an excellent thief. He used to take popcorn bags from the theatre in his front teeth. He would pull so slowly you wouldn't see it moving. Oh, such a patient thief. When caught in the act he sits & looks at you with his most adorable face that says, "who are ya gonna believe, me or your own eyes?" LOL

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Misha's been doing stuff like this lately. For some reason he's obsessed with pawing at various things in the house. I think because he's just bored because I'm home all the time but I can't play with him all the time. He will go up to the fridge or oven and just paw at it, staring intensely. Very frustrating. He's always enjoyed pawing at things to see if they will fall over. But I don't get this pawing at things that are completely immovable! He may be frustrated at them because they are black holes for bones that he gets stuck under them. But it doesn't seem like he's focused on any particular item he's lost. Just general frustration.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My house isn’t poodle proof but it is cat proof. We’ve got child locks on all the cabinets that once held cat treats (or catnip) and all the ones below waist level and special covers for the doors because the cat figured out how to open them and let himself outside (he’s an indoor cat) or into other rooms. The same cat would also push her bully sticks from the shelf that is placed at the 8ft mark by jumping from the speakers when she would lay below it. Took me a few times of finding her chewing it when I didn’t actually give it to her or going to give it to her and it not being there. Darn cat.

My spoo has been nudging the couch lately (pushing it further into the living room) but I think it’s because she’s figured out how she can get the toys that are stuck underneath it. Took me a while to realize it was her - thought I was going mad for a while before I caught her doing it LOL.
I think it was my fault because I moved the couch to get her treat ball that got stuck when she watching. 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yeah mine like apple cider vinegar

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Misha's been doing stuff like this lately. For some reason he's obsessed with pawing at various things in the house. I think because he's just bored because I'm home all the time but I can't play with him all the time. He will go up to the fridge or oven and just paw at it, staring intensely. Very frustrating. He's always enjoyed pawing at things to see if they will fall over. But I don't get this pawing at things that are completely immovable! He may be frustrated at them because they are black holes for bones that he gets stuck under them. But it doesn't seem like he's focused on any particular item he's lost. Just general frustration.
That sounds very Peggy! Like they're studying the world and how all the human things in it work. Like visitors from another planet.

Peggy still occasionally reacts to her reflection. I caught her woofing at the oven door the other day like a fool, after ignoring it how many times?? They definitely find ways to stay occupied.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My house isn’t poodle proof but it is cat proof. We’ve got child locks on all the cabinets that once held cat treats (or catnip) and all the ones below waist level and special covers for the doors because the cat figured out how to open them and let himself outside (he’s an indoor cat) or into other rooms. The same cat would also push her bully sticks from the shelf that is placed at the 8ft mark by jumping from the speakers when she would lay below it. Took me a few times of finding her chewing it when I didn’t actually give it to her or going to give it to her and it not being there. Darn cat.

My spoo has been nudging the couch lately (pushing it further into the living room) but I think it’s because she’s figured out how she can get the toys that are stuck underneath it. Took me a while to realize it was her - thought I was going mad for a while before I caught her doing it LOL.
I think it was my fault because I moved the couch to get her treat ball that got stuck when she watching. 🤦🏻‍♀️
This whole thing had me laughing out loud. Your animals are like little poltergeists! 😂

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
That sounds very Peggy! Like they're studying the world and how all the human things in it work. Like visitors from another planet.

Peggy still occasionally reacts to her reflection. I caught her woofing at the oven door the other day like a fool, after ignoring it how many times?? They definitely find ways to stay occupied.
Yeah it's very strange. They can ignore something for months and then all of a sudden notice it. There was a period in Misha's development when he discovered that the world existed above his immediate vision. He all of a sudden wanted to stare up at things intensely, studying them as if he had never realized there was an "up there" to the world. For a while he's been trying to see what his paws can do. His general plan of action seems to be what happens if I poke that? Nothing? What if I poke it again, but harder? what about harder? Sometimes he will come up to me and poke me with his paw or put his paw on my lap or arm and give me this look like Come on. Let's do something. That's enough computer for you and that's endearing. But he also tries to do it during grooming and he gives me this look like No more good puppy. That's enough clipper time for you. And then we start arguing.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oh my gosh, the woofing at her own reflection? There is a mirrored cabinet and the entrainment center has glass doors in the living room. She eats her meals and drinks her water in front of the entertainment center and sees her reflection regularly. For months she hadn’t made a peep at herself and within the last week she suddenly is concerned with her reflection. I was so confused at first because she’s not an “alert” type barker. I laughed when I realized what it was. I don’t get that at all!
The only poodle proofing I have in my house is garbage cans with a lid/pedal and locking mechanisms which I’ve never had to engage. If she tried to open any cabinets, I’d definitely get locks in case I couldn’t figure out how to train her not to. I did think about getting some before I even brought her home.
She has the bad habit of coffee table surfing that has been difficult to break. I avoid leaving anything dangerous within her reach and nothing for her to take off it. That’s where I eat my meals so she always wants to check and see if there’s any left there when I’m around. She’s trained to “go” and “stay” while I’m eating but I suspect this is why.
Thankfully Peggy hasn’t yet gotten into the garbage, yikes! She might have been trying to get your attention but I think more likely she smells the prize. Of course she acts all innocent when you go to investigate, typical poodle.
Next she’ll try to figure out how to get to your scrunchies in your bathroom cabinet, haha! She’s a clever girl.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts