Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm Basil, I'm from the northeast USA, I'm new to the forum, and I've been planning to get a dog for the past three years, but only decided standard poodles last year. I'm definitely a man who likes a thorough plan, which is probably for the best, because college is no place for a new puppy, and I'm still a year off from graduating.
When I get bored or anxious, I just throw myself into my research and planning to distract myself from college stress, and so I've actually covered a lot of ground so far! I've even got it narrowed down to about 2-3 breeders, and a favorite among them.

I come from a family that has only ever adopted, and while I love that and have never personally met a shelter dog I haven't liked, I don't think it's going to be right for me in the period of life I'll be moving into for a variety of reasons. Because of this though, I don't know anything about the process of contacting a breeder and what is/isn't expected, and so I'll probably be asking a few questions of you guys!

Anyway, I'm happy to meet you all! I've been researching poodles for about 10 months now, and I kept getting lead back here, so I figured it was time to join!!

·
Premium Member
6,412 Posts
Welcome to the forum, this is a good place for information. My most recent poodle, a toy, I got through a recommendation from one of the forum members.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Welcome Basil and you are wise to plan. Puppies are not always easy even though they are a lot of fun and if you have particular expectations from your dog like doing service work or a performance sport or two I think puppies are the way to go since you will shape them from early in life and not be surprised by any issues the dog may have that are no big deal in a couch companion, but problematic in other aspects of life.

I hope one of the breeders on your list to consider is Madela in Connecticut. They bred my boy Javelin.

As to reaching out to breeders most of them are pretty good either with email or FB and a message that explains briefly who you are and what/when you are looking for. Since some breeders may not have current or near future litters it isn't really too soon to reach out and to get yourself on a list if you like the relationship you build with the breeder. You can also consider going to shows to see dogs from breeders you are interested in. The Thanksgiving Cluster at the Big E in W. Springfield, MA is a good bet and if you are feeling very "nesty" there is great shopping for grooming tools and all other things dog.

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Welcome and I wish you good luck in finding your perfect poodle partner.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
I enjoyed the planning process too. If I didn’t get an email response, I left a voicemail. I found when breeders have some time they are very helpful and would suggest other breeders whom they liked, if they weren’t planning a litter. Do consider pet insurance while the premiums are affordable unless you already have a dedicated pet health savings account. Best wishes on your search for your first poodle puppy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello

Welcome to PF. This Forum was kind of my escape when I needed a break from the textbooks. ?
I was nervous when it came to contacting the breeder that I followed for a long time. She was the nicest person and answered all of my questions. All that nervous feeling went away.
Good luck in your studies.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Welcome to PF! You picked well! Here is the place you can ask for help in choosing a poodle. The members here will give you there opinions, their breeder knowledge, and show you all there is to know about finding the 'perfect-for-you' poodle! And then you have to pay it back by posting pictures! LOL! Good Luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome! I have been in the planning stages since 2012! Lol. PF is an excellent place to hang out and learn.

I’ve also found some FB groups a great place to learn. (Some are just filled with great pictures, but not so much advice) One of the breeders I have been following ended up being part of one of my FB groups and ended up messaging me to offer a mini lesson on conformation. It was like talking to a celebrity! (I’ve even seen some PF members on FB and totally get giddy when I recognize a poodle! I guess I’m easy to impress :D )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts