Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've seen this happen more than once.

I've seen poodles pedigrees in person, in paper, in my hand. All five generations, non forged papers. But when I try to find the pedigrees at poodlepedigree.com, I can't find them. I can find their ancestors and sometimes littermates, but not the dog who's pedigree I was holding.

Why does this happen sometimes?

Is there a difference between 'AKC Registered' and 'AKC Papered'?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Okay, so I've seen this happen more than once.

I've seen poodles pedigrees in person, in paper, in my hand. All five generations, non forged papers. But when I try to find the pedigrees at poodlepedigree.com, I can't find them. I can find their ancestors and sometimes littermates, but not the dog who's pedigree I was holding.

Why does this happen sometimes?

Is there a difference between 'AKC Registered' and 'AKC Papered'?
As far as I understand it, Poodle Pedigree is not affiliated with the AKC. It's up to invidual owners and breeders to list their dogs on it. So you or I could register and add a dog and its pedigree if we wanted.

As a result, not every dog is listed there although most are, as it's an easy way for breeders to share pedigrees with potential pup owners and to test COI on any breedings they are planning.

Although my perception is that it's pretty accurate, as with any website that can be edited by the general population, you want to confirm the info is correct. So any pedigree you see there should be backed up by an official paper copy...

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aha, so do I have to own the dog in order to list it?

Or can I just link the page to the owners for their own benefit to add their pets?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Karen Mills owns and maintains poodlepedigree.com

Anyone who does not abuse the privilege is welcome to add dogs to the database. It has grown through the group efforts of many.

Because it is becoming so widely used, I think breeders should add their dogs as they are registered. It is a great research tool. I know that I am personally behind in adding some of the dogs from the 3 litters I have bred.

Note.... Karen will kick you off and remove all of your dogs if she thinks you are breeding Poodle mixes.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I keep hoping some of Bella's littermates will show up but so far she is the only one. Though I only found out about it from this forum when I was asking about her parents' ages.

It's a great website! I've printed out of her family trees and I especially like the one with the colors.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
anyone can add any poodle to poodlepedigree.com. You dont' need to own the poodle, nor even know the poodle! If you know it's name, and it's ancestors to link it up a bit to others, then you can add it in regardless. I added Paris before I ever owned her, and cos I felt like it I also added her sister in. Their parents and half their grandparents weren't in there, but I added them all in there too to link it up. lol

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, Dogsinstyle, those are your dogs ancestors?! That's amazing! Good job on finding all this pictures!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have looked up dogs in our dog's pedigree and have them on my computer. I wish I could find as many pics as you found from yours, Dogsinstyle, that is neat!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have about 330 from Kitty's 10 generation pedigree. But I also have about 500 poodle mags and 100 poodle books. It's taken many years.
Carole

1 - 11 of 11 Posts