Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked for other posts on this, but only found one from 2011 so I thought I would start a new thread.

Does anyone else’s poodle shuffle/drag their back feet when walking around the house? We laugh at Kuzco and say he sounds like an old man wearing slippers “swish swish, swish swish” 😂 I believe it’s just lazy walking, because he doesn’t always do it. I guess it could be something else - any thoughts?

Pictures to show his adorable 6 month old self 😍 (I have a haircut scheduled next week to get that ‘fro cut and the clean poodle face back!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They probably do at the moment since he’s about to have a groom (and thus I haven’t checked them for a bit knowing it’ll be done by the groomer). But he does it regardless of nail length.

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
It's not something I've noticed with mine. It might be worth a mention the next time you are at the vet. I've seen a few older German Shepherds and Labradors dragging their hind legs due to myelopathy or hip dysplasia, but your guy seems pretty young.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Since you say it’s not relayed to nail length, I would look up “knuckling over” and have your vet do a thorough exam, just to be safe. It could very well be nothing—it is very likely nothing!—but this was the first sign of neurological issues in my last dog.

·
Premium Member
13,260 Posts
He is lovely, but foot dragging would concern me. Definitely get it checked by your vet, just to be safe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For anyone interested (or seeing the same thing with their poodle), here is the post from 2011 that I had found. It sounds like multiple people had spoos that did this with no medical issues. I’ll definitely still be asking my vet next time we go - one of the vets at the practice actually has a red spoo too (crazy coincidence!), so she might have some insight.

2011 Post

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kuzco looks JUST like my little Pechey. She is 11 months. I usually keep her in a fuzzy puppy cut, usually one length all over. I noticed that when her feet fur is long, it sounds like shuffling slippers too! But if I trim her feet fur down, the shuffling lessens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts