Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beau is absolutely nuts about ice cubes! The instant he hears the ice dispenser on the fridge, he's right there, looking up at you with those big, black eyes. And woe unto you if you don't volunteer a cube or at least a chip. Try to sit down and drink your frosty beverage in peace, and he'll make funny "talking" noises every time you raise the glass to your lips. Set the glass down on a table, and he'll paw at it, attempting to draw it into range.

Am I the only one with a poodle who thinks ice cubes are a fun and tasty treat?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have 2 ice cube lovers..one poodle and one cav..they each get one when I fill up my glass..they don't bother the glass tho..I use to spit ice cubes for my lab and he would catch them but he isn't interested in doing that any more..

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Gorky loves ice cubes and makes this loud scrapping noise when he is biting the ice.
While Chagall just likes to "play hockey" with ice cubes, my darling husband makes Gorky-like noises with them. It drives me NUTS the way he scrapes and bites them with his teeth! It actually gives MY teeth the chills. I've laid down the law: "DON'T do THAT around me!". Sadly, enforcement of the law isn't so good. (lol)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
All my spoos love ice cubes too,one faint sound of getting ice out and they wake up out of a dead sleep and come racing into the kitchen.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Panda loves ice cubes too, i discovered it by accident when i dropped one on the floor and he pounced on it, he will spend ages chasing it round the floor while licking it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Panda loves ice cubes too, i discovered it by accident when i dropped one on the floor and he pounced on it, he will spend ages chasing it round the floor while licking it.
Luke does the exact same thing! It's so funny to watch. He looks so sad and confused when it melts though, and he'll just paw at the puddle, looking dejected.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have started to use the carcass whenever I roast a chicken and boil it up with some carrots for 3 hours to make a chicken stock then freeze that as ice cubes for him (spoilt dog i know!) and he loves it, chicken flavour ice cubes ^_^

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have started to use the carcass whenever I roast a chicken and boil it up with some carrots for 3 hours to make a chicken stock then freeze that as ice cubes for him (spoilt dog i know!) and he loves it, chicken flavour ice cubes ^_^
I love this idea! I've been using a lot of rotisserie chickens from Costco, and that's a perfect way to use the leftovers! So do you strain it afterwards?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yes I strain it afterwards to remove all traces of bone and then pick out some little bits of any cooked chicken off the carcass and some carrots to put in each ice cube too, makes it more yummy that way :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, both Ellie and Claire love ice cubes. Claire comes running every time she hears someone getting ice out of the dispenser. She loves to get that one special cube that always jumps out last, and she will sit and wait for it to hit the floor.

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Panda, that sounds just the sort of thing I find myself doing - carefully apportioning chicken scraps into an ice cube tray! I also make veggie cubes - any left over veg pureed and frozen. Not as popular as the chicken, but an easy, healthy treat. Perhaps I should combine them ... and where did I put that recipe for chicken icecream for dogs ...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I trained my mini to like (beg for!) ice cubes on purpose. It's a handy thing if they like ice, for everything from cooling down when overheated to making sure they get enough to drink when in a strange place, when the water might taste funny.

And in spite of all the toys I buy, Vasco's favourite is a handful of ice cubes in his outside water bowl. Makes a mess, but great fun!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wow I'm so surprised. Glad other people are having better luck than I did.

Both my late-Spoos were into ice cubes in a big way until my vet and breeder told me its the worst thing you can give your poodle.

When the ice machine would start I had dancing Standards. They would go nuts for the ones that landed on the floor. It was funny to watch. They loved ice cubes.

I live in south Florida so the weather is always hot and I was in the habit of putting ice cubes in their water bowls. Then it was not long after both Spoos started having reflux type problems (if I remember correctly) and I didn't know what was causing it. I had to do a process of elimination with the vet and breeder to find the source.

Now I'm paranoid and don't give either Guido or Goomba ice cubes anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts