Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've kept up with my posts regarding Ginger you know that a man that lives on a boat took her. Well, he just called me to tell me that he took the boat out for a small trip and she had a complete melt down. She was trying to jump off of the boat and peed on herself and so forth. She was doing fine as long as the boat wasn't moving but once they went out she freaked out. Can I get some advice to offer him on this issue? Is this going to be a done deal for them? Will she ever calm down on outings?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is he on a power boat or a sail boat? if he was on a power boat he probably stimulated her too fast, and needs to start slowly, like running the engine in the marina, then pracitice going in and out of the marina, then going for a small very slow ride(2knots max) and go up from there.

If he has a sail boat was he leaning really heavily? was it very windy? the noise from the sails may have caused her to freak out. if he's in a sailboat he should motor out slowly and quietly a few times(no sails) then motor out then just let the sails loose and let them flap away in the wind (probably best to do this on a windless day) and slowly tighten them up and stopping when she tenses up and wait for her to calm down. lots of treats and toys and praise when she acts confidant. One of my dogs was terrified of the boat until he leaned that he go to go swimming and see 'seapuppies' aka sealions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to send him all of the replies I get in this thread. He has a 50 foot yacht. So it obviously has a motor and that might have been what scared her. That and she's never had her house move before. She's not eating today which I'm sure is from her freaking out. He's sounding like he wants to bring her back to me but I think he needs to try harder to make slow progress to get her used to it. I told him before her took her that she'd been a kennel dog and that she wasn't used to a lot of things. I mean she's afraid of the vacuum cleaner and even my broom so he knew all of this about her. It's one of those things that if you want to make it work you have to work at it. Grrrr, I'm just frustrated by people thinking that she's just exchangable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thats so sad, I wish I could adopt a poodle but there are not really any poodles in need of rescuing up here. Thats a good thing for them lol.

My grandparents are 'live aboarders' and my grandfather has always had dogs on board mind you this was only a 32' sailboat not a yacht. He just needs to give her time and slowly introduce her into the craziness that is boating.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I told him. You can't expect a dog to adjust to any new environment in a few days. This is going to take time and patience and he knew this going into the situation. I told him to buy her a crate. One for her size and one that's airline approved because they are darker and more closed in so she will feel safer. Then keep it in an area of the boat that's very quiet and start the motor of the boat at random times to get her used to the sound. If she's in a crate she cannot hurt herself and someone else. She needs to just get used to the sounds and sensations of that lifestyle and again that takes time not just a few days. He needs to try harder in my opinion. This little incident just shows me that she needs more time.

·
Registered
546 Posts
That's what I told him. You can't expect a dog to adjust to any new environment in a few days. This is going to take time and patience and he knew this going into the situation. I told him to buy her a crate. One for her size and one that's airline approved because they are darker and more closed in so she will feel safer. Then keep it in an area of the boat that's very quiet and start the motor of the boat at random times to get her used to the sound. If she's in a crate she cannot hurt herself and someone else. She needs to just get used to the sounds and sensations of that lifestyle and again that takes time not just a few days. He needs to try harder in my opinion. This little incident just shows me that she needs more time.
Seems you have a handful of adoptive parents who want to bring their pups back to you. I remember a teacher telling me once to look at myself as the possible cause of the problem rather than point the finger all the time.
Did you ever stop to think that maybe you are not arming these people with the best possible information regarding the dog, prior to them taking on this HUGE responsibility? Going thru parent screening, contracts, etc... only count for so much..

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems you have a handful of adoptive parents who want to bring their pups back to you. I remember a teacher telling me once to look at myself as the possible cause of the problem rather than point the finger all the time.
Did you ever stop to think that maybe you are not arming these people with the best possible information regarding the dog, prior to them taking on this HUGE responsibility? Going thru parent screening, contracts, etc... only count for so much..
LOL should have known something like this would come from you. First off, I don't have a "handful of pups". I'm not a breeder. Go back and reread my posts. I have one dog that I am ARMING everyone interested in her with information that I have on her. Typically people are impulse shoppers and that comes along with owning pets as well. I have given people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to her and I've asked questions regarding their situations. Most of the issues that are going on with Ginger are people that want a dog to be fully trained whenever it comes to them and they don't want to take the time to let her adjust to their situation.

Let me repeat just in case you don't go back and read. Not a breeder, don't have pups, have one rescue dog that I'm placing hasn't had any issues at all with us. The issues that happened so far were not peeing on a leash enough times and being freaked out on a boat. Think that doesn't classify me as someone that's not educating the people interested in her enough and pointing the finger at the wrong person. She hasn't done anything wrong, they have so they are going to get the finger pointed at them. You don't like it, don't read my posts.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
People need to realize that the dog is feeling vulnerable/overwhelmed with her new situation and take things SLOW.

He could try a D.A.P. Collar for her, that might help a bit.
http://www.vpl.com/press/view_press.php?id=100690

The D.A.P. plug in thingy helped a lot for an anxious greyhound I used to have. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ok.. 1 dog, 2 dogs.. a million dogs... doesn't really make a difference. Ginger has been returned to you for what will be the 2nd time in a short time span. I feel for Ginger. I hope she finds a good home, and an owner who will stick by her.

You m'dear.. seem to lack alot of patience with people and have a serious attitude issue. Perhaps this is hindering you from finding Ginger a proper owner. The other lady said you got "weird on her"... she said it, not me. Maybe take a minute to read some of your posts and your treatment and attitude towards others. If it doesn't go your way, it's the OTHER parties fault - never yours. The other lady was demanding, etc... WTF?!

You need to learn some humility, and manners... and quit with being so nasty.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
People need to realize that the dog is feeling vulnerable/overwhelmed with her new situation and take things SLOW.

He could try a D.A.P. Collar for her, that might help a bit.
http://www.vpl.com/press/view_press.php?id=100690

The D.A.P. plug in thingy helped a lot for an anxious greyhound I used to have. :)
Thank you, I'll fwd this along to him. I agree that you can't expect more from a dog than they can give and need to go at the pace of the dog.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok.. 1 dog, 2 dogs.. a million dogs... doesn't really make a difference. Ginger has been returned to you for what will be the 2nd time in a short time span. I feel for Ginger. I hope she finds a good home, and an owner who will stick by her.

You m'dear.. seem to lack alot of patience with people and have a serious attitude issue. Perhaps this is hindering you from finding Ginger a proper owner. The other lady said you got "weird on her"... she said it, not me. Maybe take a minute to read some of your posts and your treatment and attitude towards others. If it doesn't go your way, it's the OTHER parties fault - never yours. The other lady was demanding, etc... WTF?!

You need to learn some humility, and manners... and quit with being so nasty.
You have no idea what you are talking about. My "weird" came from the fact that I wanted her to sign a contract stating the normal things that a rehoming contract states and then not agreeing to groom her for the rest of her life. If that's weird, then I guess I'm just weird. That woman wanted something for nothing. She basically came out and said so in the end. Yes I have no patience for ignorance and I will not tolerate someone trying to take advantage of me. Please be respectful of me and never ever call me "dear" again because I'm not your dear and it's belittling.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And for the record, I haven't accused this man of anything other than not taking things slow with Ginger which I told him ahead of time he'd have to do. He's been informed of what he needs to do so if he tries to go at his own pace and not hers, I see that as HIS problem and not mine. I came here to get help for HIM not me.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have had a few dogs in my days, fosters as well, and some of them, like Flip, you can just chuck in the car, drag to the dog park, whatever. He's just happy to be near me. I had a husky/wolf hybrid (Bad news, I know, I would never condone owning one, he was a rescue and an exception to the rule) that was just like Flip in that aspect. I have also had spooky, frightened dogs that need a lot of gentle, slow attention.

They have as diverse personalities as people.

I see it ever day at the clinic too, some dogs couldn't care less about being poked and prodded and x-rayed, etc. Other dogs don't even want me to look at their ears, eyes, etc.

I think Ginger needs someone who is going to take it slow with her and introduce her to things at her pace. She is probably wondering what is going on right now.

At the risk of getting flamed, I have to say that from my experience, female dogs are a bit more hesitant and need more gentle attention.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Please be respectful of me and never ever call me "dear" again because I'm not your dear and it's belittling.
If only I had a mirror for you right now... you should really be ashamed of yourself - pot calling the kettle black.

KPoo - this is a forum that has been harmonious for a long time... a place for people of like minds and interests, and it's proved to be a wealth of information. There is no place for any member to pull rank here.
I understand that.. do you? And yes.. that is a rhetorical question. I hope you know what that means..

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with you and I told this man over and over and over about her and about her other situations and the situations with the people that thought they were going to have issues with her walking on a leash to pee. We went over everything in detail and he sat in my kitchen saying how he understood and that he wasn't going anywhere and that he'd do what he could for her. 2 days on the boat and he takes it out and she freaks out. Well, I can understand why she would freak out and she didn't feel she had a safe place to go so she really got freaked. She liked him right away I could tell she was ready to go with him when he stood up, he just needs to do things at her pace is all it is. He's got to put down his ideas of what this dog is and go with what she really is and try to ease her transition. I told him all of this. Regardless of what this other member tries to come at me with, I'm a responsible person that just wants what's best for her and I thought a retired guy with nothing but time was it.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If only I had a mirror for you right now... you should really be ashamed of yourself - pot calling the kettle black.

KPoo - this is a forum that has been harmonious for a long time... a place for people of like minds and interests, and it's proved to be a wealth of information. There is no place for any member to pull rank here.
I understand that.. do you? And yes.. that is a rhetorical question. I hope you know what that means..
There's a "ranking" system on this board?:rolffleyes: Oh good grief you take yourself way too seriously. Best if we just stay out of each others threads. You have not contributed one thing that I can take to this man and give him for Ginger's well being. You are upset with me because I basically called you on the fact that you weren't listening to very intelligent and helpful members about this other puppy you wanted to get from this breeder that didn't sound reputable to me. Let it go.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It sounds to me like Ginger is a frightened little pooch. She has had lots of upsets in her life and nothing is normal for her.

It was probably too soon for her to be taking her first boat ride. She has been moved into a number of new environments recently and really needs some time to adjust to a permanent home before she gets more stress thrown her way.

Most people don't realize how much work making a good dog can be. The sad truth about older dog adoptions is that many people choose that route because they do expect to have a dog that has basic training (housebroken, no chewing, no digging, crate trained, etc). As a rescuer and fosterer, I feel it's my responsibility to get that dog as close to the perfect pet as possible. It's very frustrating to have to deal with people that are too lazy (or too dumb) to properly raise a puppy. But we do it for the dogs. And, I would rather spend the time, money and heartache getting these poor abandoned dogs ready for these clueless owners-to-be than to have them turn to another BYB to get an adorable pup that will end up as another abandoned adolescent.

I hope you don't give up on this gentleman. Maybe with patience and a little more help from you they will learn to become inseparable boaters together. Please offer him encouragement, patience and hope.

And again, thank-you for opening your heart (and wallet probably!) to this sweet girl.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ginger is scared to death. She'll need time. A moving floor underneath them feels unstable and frightening. Some spoos will never like unstable floors. Elsa is 12 she has gone with us everywhere yet she still hates boats, floating docks, elevators, raised computer floors. On the other hand, Sam has no problem. Lucy you can't put in the car unless you hold her head out the front window, massive pucker but Dramamine does help. I suggest that he also give a bit of Dramamine until she is used to the boat. Lots of hugs and reassurance as they take off until she becomes used to it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

"Harmonious" I would have to disagree. There have been some threads on this forum that are less than friendly conversation. Some even on new member introductions that I find that have been down right rude. Some of you have lost respect to other posters. It is truly a shame because the bickering should be private and not public. People want to learn and get support, they don't need public criticism. We must set ourselves to a higher standard as members.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Cheers thestars... let's finally all put these ridiculous antics to rest.. I have no problem eating humble pie and will heed my own advice as well.

Let this forum be about the poodles again.. not about us, or "her thread" vs. "my thread"... ridiculous...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts