Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thought I had a basic understanding of most things poodle, my little cream girl Paris came along.
Her nails were pink when she came home but now at 15 weeks they seem to be turning... black? I’m sure this isn’t a cause for concern but it’s not something I expected. Does it have something to do with the fact that she has black points?
I would love to hear what you guys know about this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,472 Posts
My dogs' nails correspond to the color of the toes. Pogo, who is parti colored, has both light and dark toes. His light toes have light nails and his dark toes have dark nails. Pogo also has a white snip on his muzzle. He has a pink spot inside his nostril aligning with the white snip.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, my phantom has white legs but all her nails are as black as can be. Paris is cream all over so I can’t imagine the cause for this change.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I think it does have to do with the black points. Melanin often takes time to develop in dogs, so you'll usually see things darken as the pup grows up. Sometimes it can take a couple years for pink noses to darken! Totally normal. Just makes nail clipping a little more difficult.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it does have to do with the black points. Melanin often takes time to develop in dogs, so you'll usually see things darken as the pup grows up. Sometimes it can take a couple years for pink noses to darken! Totally normal. Just makes nail clipping a little more difficult.
How very interesting. If they do turn fully black I’ll miss them being translucent, it definitely makes doing her nails a breeze when compared to Bella ☹

1 - 5 of 5 Posts