Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I spoke to Gary at Rodell's--he does have a black boy toy who is only a few weeks old and won't be ready for about nine weeks--
here is my new dilemma--
after exchanging cell phone and email info with Gary, I find that communication is difficult. I asked if he would like a deposit, and he stated that we would text, after he sent me a picture. I did receive a picture today ( after I texted and requested it reminding him of our phone convo) but after that, a one word answer to a question about the puppy's sire and dam. and then no answer to a second question about Rodell's process for procedure/process/deposit--in other words, what do I do next?
I asked if this was a bad time--I honestly don't know what I am not understanding about how to deal with breeders and this whole process. Advice? Insights?
I know I am polite but what and I missing here? is it always this difficult?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
possible answer

since the puppy is so young, the breeder may be undecided as to whether he is keeping him for show perhaps? breeding?
I believe I am being told that these decisions take some time, but the breeder likes to have prospective owner in place as well--
not sure where this puppy stands in the process of decision making

·
Registered
152 Posts
Though I'm definitely not as well versed in this area as others here, I may be able to offer some suggestions.

I have heard many, many people become very frustrated with the process of acquiring a puppy from a reputable breeder, as it is so completely opposite from picking up a puppy from a BYB, a lot more effort and patience is required. Many don't have up-to-date websites or social media, some take a long time to reply to inquiries, some have extremely high expectations and long waiting lists etc. I have had a fantastic experience in this regard, but I do understand the struggle.

It will be worth the effort and wait for a great breeder. From the sounds of it, you have several weeks to keep in contact with the breeder, so try not to worry. I'm sure if he's a great breeder, he will take his time finding the best home.

Has he been responsive to emails? It could be easier to get all your questions answered via email, instead of texts. As you can outline exactly what you'd like to know, number and separate each question, bold certain words or sentences that are most important to you. It may take days to hear back though.

Ex.

Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah.

Blah

1. Question

2. Question

But keep in mind too that he's taking care of his dogs and may have many other responsibilities. Plus he could be getting lots of messages that he's trying to priorities.

Best wishes for your future puppy. It can be upsetting when you feel ignored or forgotten, but don't get discouraged. Patience is key!

·
Registered
586 Posts
It’s frustrating but also note that you are inquiring during the holidays, they can be super busy. I looked and inquired for milo during this time too, I didn’t get much feedback from his breeder. Just an email saying she put me on the list and will let me know if she has a litter on the ground. Then come February, she told me, her female has been bred and the rest was history. Communication picked up from there, in fact we still do talk poodle from time to time.

I believe Twyla has a rodell boy, hopefully she can chime in, I know she is very happy with her boy.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Add to everything that SpoChi and Asuk (while I was typing) said it is four days before Christmas. In addition to the normal holiday factor I believe they run a grooming salon and small dog day care and I could be the grooming is hectic right now. I'm not a breeder but I do deal with a population of students who are very interested in talking to me about their grades at the end of the semester (last exam for me was yesterday). I have a ton of papers to grade. I will send each class an email to let them know I have posted their course grades but not to expect me to answer individual questions about their grades until next week. I know my situation is not the same, just to say when we are asking people stuff we don't always know what is on that other person's plate at that moment. Be patient I am sure you will get clarity. And yes twyla has a Rodell dog (her boy Leonard). You might PM her to ask what she found to be the most efficient way to communicate with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

yes, i am taking into consideration that its the holidays and that they must be
incredibly busy with the grooming side of their business ( they do run a grooming salon and spa).
I am just going to be patient and see what happens--if I understood Gary correctly, he wanted to communicate by text--but, he did take my email address, so if he wants to email me, he can--
that is why I texted him today, I thought it was his suggestion when we spoke yesterday.
Thanks again to all of you for your insights, I will wait and see what develops--I am sure they want the best for the puppies and I will feel my way through whatever their process is--I am thinking it will be best to give them space through the holidays, but I want to indicate that I am a serious prospect, as well.
I certainly don't want to bother/annoy them.

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
I made phone dates with my breeder. Text, “When would be a good time to speak after the holidays?” Have your questions listed. Your breeder doesn’t have the time for Poodle 101, you can do breed research yourself or ask questions here. I am sure he would be happy to answer specific questions about health testing, health guarantees, pup’s personality etc. I have had delightful conversations with breeders. When they have the time. Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
6,390 Posts
I adore my Rodell toy boy Leonard, my situation was a little different because Leonard was older when I got him, 18 1/2 weeks old I basically asked what I did I have to do to make him mine. I contacted Rod Connors via his Facebook page PM and spoke with Gary and arranged to meet Leonard, the rest is history

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not feeling it--

I made phone dates with my breeder. Text, “When would be a good time to speak after the holidays?” Have your questions listed. Your breeder doesn’t have the time for Poodle 101, you can do breed research yourself or ask questions here. I am sure he would be happy to answer specific questions about health testing, health guarantees, pup’s personality etc. I have had delightful conversations with breeders. When they have the time. Best wishes.
I think asking that question would be a bit too pushy at this time, I heard the breeder ask me to communicate by text. Also, I do not need Poodle 101. I just need to know this particular breeder's process, i.e. does he want a deposit on this particular puppy at this time, and what does he want to know about me and my situation in order to make an informed choice on his end.
I have decades of pet owning experience of purebred dogs and cats. Thanks so much for allowing me to ask questions here, you are all great and this forum is a godsend.
If this breeder is too busy for me at this time, I can wait for him--he can get back to me at his convenience--or another puppy or breeder will materialize, I am sure.
However--I have a child whose life has a guarded prognosis. She is well today, but every day is a gift and no one know what tomorrow will bring for her--kind of puts everything into perspective. If she wants a puppy and I want a puppy to bring us joy, then will will get one and love one and give it a fabulous life and family, but we will not let any breeder or any process of this kind rule our lives.
I understand everything you are all saying, thanks so much, you are all very nice for having the patience to answer my questions and your poodles are wonderful.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I understand your sense of wanting to move the puppy process along much more clearly now. I hope this works out asap for you and your daughter. One of my very dear friends lost a child at age 14 months after about 8 months of trying everything under the sun to get as many days as possible from the time of his diagnosis with a uniformly fatal genetic disorder. I hope for a good outcome for your dear child.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far she has outlived expectations

she has done better than expected, and is pushing the envelope for what she has--but this year she had some ugly complications. She always bounces back.

And some good news--Rod wants me to call Gary next Wed or Thurs to discuss the little blue black boy toy further! I had a text from him late today--so all is well.

The universe unfolds as it should ( not to get too zen).

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I am glad you heard back. It is hard to wait for something you want very dearly.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have a breeder who texts so I understand that frustration. I tried scheduling calls early in our relationship and it didn’t work. I think that texts are more convenient for her, they fit in between her committments, and she is younger. I prefer 5 minutes of verbal give and take rather than a ‘conversation’ over hours. Three years on, I’m used to texting with her and it’s worked out okay. We’ve spent lots of time chatting face to face at dog shows. (I had several long conversations with other breeders during the puppy search, and wouldn’t have known that there was another way to communicate! Lesson learned.)

I’m glad that you heard back and hope that this puppy works out for you.

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
I am very sorry your daughter’s health is so precarious. Like you, I was a serious buyer willing to wait until the poodle planets aligned for a good puppy. I got frustrated with many breeders being unresponsive by email so I just called and left a message with the breeders on my short list. Most returned my calls within a few days to a week. We set up mutually agreeable times to talk and that worked well. (I prefer to talk rather than email or text to get a measure of a person.) I had a great home to offer and was willing to spend thousands, so I felt it was disrespectful to me, not to be reasonably responsive. If they had no litters planned for the coming year, some directed me to other breeders they respected with litters in the works. None of the breeders I was contacting had a potential puppy available. I just wanted to get on the waiting list. I would have gone full on pushy for information, if a puppy was already available in the color and gender I wanted from a great breeder. The planets will align.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Well this is good news on the puppy. I hope all your questions will be satisfied and that you get a deposit on this little guy. I am also tory to hear that your child has a precarious condition. My nephew was born with a condition and we were told he probably wouldn't come home from the hospital. He did and had many ups and downs in life until we lost him at age 13. He never could eat walk or talk though but he had the most amazing laugh. He lived far from us but I am so grateful to have spent some time with him. He was such a happy boy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts