Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’ve read the pros and cons of having pet insurance. I think I need to get it for Willow.
Can I get some feedback on why you love or hate an insurance company? The reviews online I feel like are fake for every company.
thank you!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hi. I’ve read the pros and cons of having pet insurance. I think I need to get it for Willow.
Can I get some feedback on why you love or hate an insurance company? The reviews online I feel like are fake for every company.
thank you!
There was a thread on this recently where we talked about the pros and cons of it. I use Embrace because it is the most comprehensive I've found that is relatively affordable and I like the way they handle incidents. We haven't had to use it yet because Misha's been healthy. But everybody I know who's needed to had no problem getting expenses reimbursed. It's also the insurance recommended by our vet, though I had it before Misha even visited the vet for the first time. You pick your deductible and yearly maximum, and then your monthly payments are dependent on those choices. They do have some dental coverage, and don't have a per-incident maximum which is nice.

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
And in the thread that Raindrops referenced advocated for self insuring. You need some discipline on your part, but if you put the money that would pay the premium away in an emergency account then you keep your money under your control and if you never need it then you still have it. We are fortunate enough to have our jobs still and because of that even with the vet bills in the last month we've just paid out of pocket (Peeves was limping then had an adverse reaction to an NSAID and needed other care and Lily had a big dental bill), but I would have been able to pay for everything from emergency reserves and that account would still have been healthy in its balance.

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
I got PetPlan when Buck was just a puppy. No pre-existing conditions and painless premiums. I am self insured, but got nervous when I read about a member spending $3k for a broken leg. Fortunately, she had insurance and it was a young dog so she hadn’t spent much on premiums. I spend a lot on human grade seizure medication and I’m ahead on the cost /benefit, but it’s close. I’m glad I kept it. Just plan so you will never have to be unable to provide your dog with whatever it needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts