Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First and foremost this is about my poodles (and mine) physical health and wellbeing.

This is a very sensitive situation. He isn't being bad or anything just more jumpy and barky than usual. He is a very well trained dog (for the most part) but he can't be out in this cold. He isn't ever crated unless we leave and I am home with him pretty much 24/7 right now and just trying to find ways to keep him entertained.

First of all he can Absolutely Not be outside right now. (He had a lot of health problems as a pup, and he is finally healthy again, not 100 percent but I would say a good 85-90 percent of the way there, but the cold makes him cough so hard and he does have respiratory issues)

Okay we are in the south so we aren't use to this weather but its been basically 17 degrees the last week and a half and its not gotten above 23 degrees. That is really cold for us and we are expecting a snow/ice storm to hit within the next 18 hours.

I am also very pregnant, and have a cold. (Due pretty much any time and so obviously I'm concerned about this weather for other reasons too) So I don't go outside unless I have to right now. He still gets 1 walk a day with my husband (I just don't have the energy). But since its been so cold we havent had him out there, the cold messes with my poodles breathing and he coughs so hard for like an hour after just being in it a few minutes to potty.

So I absolutely don't want him out there in it. (We rarely get below 43 to 45 degrees but we have been in the teens and at night in the single digits....friday night its supposed to below zero)

Our Terrier she is able to handle whether she gets a walk or not but we've been keeping her in since the weather got like this too, but she is able to channel her energy into other things. We did take her to play at my grandparents the other day (it got up to 34 degrees) and she was able to go in and out as she pleased (they have a fenced in yard and a dog accessible door) and she played over there for quite a bit, the cold doesn't bother her and she has a thick double coat. But my poodle couldn't handle being out more than 5 or 6 minutes without a terrible coughing attack.

But what can we do for our poodle, working on obedience doesn't help, playing tug rope and other games doesn't help, chewing on a bone helps a bit. I would get the laser light out and let him chase it but we have a neighbor below us that sleeps all day (and works all night) so we would get a noise complaint.

He needs exercise but he ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT go out in this cold.

Any suggestions would be wonderful

As soon as it gets back up to atleast 40 degrees he will start his walks again, they think we should have atleast 2 days next week in the 40s before it drops again.

My terrier got anywhere from 2 to 3 walks a day (which she really hated, she likes to run offleash so I just take her to my grandparents 3 times a week right now for offleash run and my husband walks her right now 1 time a day because I can't give her 2 of those 3 walks a day.)

My husband is the one doing all their walks right now. Again though my Terrier can go either way when it comes to how many walks she gets, she is very lazy to begin with.

Just letting you know the routine for before I was this pregnant and before the weather got like this.

This is the strangest winter we have had in years.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right now its 20 degress (expected to drop quickly) and the wind chill is 12 degrees (as in what it feels like)

Its been lower over the last few days.

So you can see I am concerned. I want to be able to exercise him, I know he needs it but I also have to balance his health benefits as well. And this cold isn't doing him any good.

I'm torn as to what to do. Should i have my husband take him for a walk anyway? Even though after being out there no more than 5 minutes the dog starts coughing extremely hard?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
seems like we are doing a flip-flop. It has been milder in the Northeast than usual for the past few years. However, our winter finally found us a couple of weeks ago and it has been extremely cold with snow nearly every day and temps down to a below zero.

Now you are experiencing what is normal weather for us!! Since you are due anytime and your poodle has health issues in the cold, is it possible for you to get (or do you own) a treadmill that he could get his walks in on each day? That is supposed to be very helpful for dogs that need the exercise but cannot get out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't own a treadmill and we are on a very tight budget. (We are still paying back vet bills on this guy). Plus we are on 1 income right now. Its also illegal in our county to own a doggy treadmill or so I have been told. I've never actually looked it up (due to a lot of pit bull fighting rings being busted here, apparently they would use those for their fighting dogs)

Even if we could have one he wouldn't use it, he has a very short attention span to begin with. He likes outside. And thats what sucks the most. He wants to be outside. He keeps staring out the window all day and barking (which he never does) He just wants to be outside, and I can't take him out there. And it totally sucks

the last time we actually got snow here (that was more than a dusting) was in 2003. We got 5 inches. And it was back in the 90s last time I remember it being so cold here.

so the weather is really strange to me. And I almost moved to Chicago 4 years ago, what was I thinking

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
You could try getting a big bone for him to chew on. I can ask my mom for details, but there's some bone she gets our dogs that actually takes physical exertion for them to chew.

Your husband could also play some games with him. We used to play hide and seek with our dog, it was fun! You hang onto the dog, and your husband hides somewhere (with a treat if the dog isn't naturally attached to him or naturally won't go to look for him) then you let the dog go and he goes to find him. I used to hide in closets, behind the sofa, etc. That should get him moving!

Maybe you could also fill a kong with some treats? Something that will get him working at it to get the treats out.

Hope this helps, I'll post anything else I can think of!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He has a huge bone he has been working on since Christmas. And he gets a kong every day. Our Terrier ends up playing with it though because he isn't food motivated and so he doesn't play with the kong. He will give it a few licks and walk away.

He chews on a bone for a few minutes and leaves it, comes back to it later. Again he has been chewing the same bone since Christmas.

It seems the only thing this dog likes to do is RUN. And I can't let him run inside, the lady below us would throw a fit. But I'm a little tense because of the barking too.

He has like a million toys and he doesn't like any of them.

Luckily today he is just laying around snoozing, first time it seems in several days. I think he is really bored but I'm thankful for the reprieve. Though he was up pacing all night, I heard the jingling of his collar all night. So he may just be tired from that. But by the time my husband gets home he will be full of energy I'm sure. Sadly it will already be dark too and the storm looks like it will be already moving in

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I wonder if they would allow dogs to go to the mall for walks. My parents used to go to their local mall in the morning, before the mall was open, and walk with other people their age. It was a great way for them to safely get exercise and be able to socialize at the same time.

Might be worth a phone call?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Have you tried a braided bully stick? Teddy absolutely loves them (much more than plain old rawhide) and will spend half an hour at a time working on one and then fall asleep. It takes him about three weeks to get through a 6-inch one.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I wonder if they would allow dogs to go to the mall for walks. My parents used to go to their local mall in the morning, before the mall was open, and walk with other people their age. It was a great way for them to safely get exercise and be able to socialize at the same time.

Yes, the mall. Or maybe you could contact your local obedience school or somewhere that has an indoor facility. Perhaps you could explain your unique situation and they would let you bring him there for a run when there's some free time. Even a local church or something might have a hall you could use.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Obviously you can see why I am wracking my brain here, the dog doesn't like to do anything. But go for walks and to run.

We worked on some obedience this morning when he got up, and then I gave him his bone to gnaw on.

My Terrier is wonderfully patient right now, I don't know what I would do without her. She is sitting with her kong playing with it and there is absolutely nothing in it, she just likes to play with it. (She hits it with her paws like a cat. She does the same thing with a tennis ball like she is playing soccer)

The difference between Sasha my Terrier and Zachary my poodle is Sasha tends to find positive ways to entertain herself, Zachary if he is bored he gets to barking and starts jumping around on things, I found him in the trash yesterday, he actually pulled himself in and got stuck in there. (I got him out right after it happend i heard a thud and whining from the next room)

He just wants to be outside and I'm doing all in my power not to give in, because even the vet said not to take him out in this cold

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

They don't, not that I am really supposed to drive right now anyway. The only indoor mall is over an hour away we have a lot of outdoor malls though. I'm on very limited activity, not bedrest but I have been on this since about 16 weeks of pregnancy.

I'd take him down to the petco but he is somewhat aggressive to dogs he doesn't know and that isn't something I am able to deal with right now. he is a good dog over all but he doesn't like other dogs. He only likes the dogs he has grown up around.

He hates bully sticks too, he won't touch the things. So we don't even buy them. My Terrier will go through the big ones in about 10 minutes so we just don't buy them.

Again I'm totally wracking my brain because he doesn't like anything and he seems bound and determined to get outside. Right now he is standing and crying at the front door and he has his leash. (he doesn't have to potty he was just out). He grabs his leash when he is ready to go for a walk and starts pawing and whining at the door.

This is what is tearing me up. All he wants is a walk and I know he doesn't understand why I am doing this. (pregnancy aside, if it wasn't so cold I would already have him out there)

Maybe I should take him out for a few minutes atleast, a few minutes surely wouldn't hurt too much and it might pacify him for awhile.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Why not play fetch in the house?
Again the lady downstairs, she gets upset when there is any noise between the hours of 10 am and 6pm. She works nights. But then her husband works days and he gets upset if there is any noise at night. So that is stressful too.

They were out of town for the last month but now they are back and with a vengence. If we aren't tip toeing around up here we hear about it. So throwing the ball around or getting the laser light out the two dogs sound like a heard of elephants.

I miss living on the first floor, they said next time they hear a peep out of the dogs or they hear stomping around they are calling managment. Well we don't stop around and our dogs barely make noise, unless they hear something really loud or maintence comes in unnannounced

The couple, both of them are retired, but still work. For fun money they call it. In 2 weeks they are leaving again for like 8 weeks, I can't wait. (they hate all animals but cats by the way, they tried to have the lady with the Great Dane that lives next door to us evicted because the dog makes too much racket going up and down the stairs when she takes him out for walks and potty time and they think he will break the stairs.....management just laughed over that one)

We have a cat problem now because of them, they just let their cats out to roam when they go out of town. And they have more than 3. (We are a very pet friendly community and we have a 3 pet limit)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry didn't mean to vent and get off subject but those people drive me crazy.

When they leave for their trip, life will be much more pleasent again. I don't like feeling like I am walking on breaking glass or something.

I'm sure everyone has had a neighbor they can't stand atleast once in their life

Okay so I just found this thing called a Treat Ball, but you can put there kibble in it too and he would be forced to work for it.

Has anyone tried it? Would it be a good idea?

I'm thinking of going out and getting one before it gets any colder, but would like to know if anyone has tried it

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Again the lady downstairs, she gets upset when there is any noise between the hours of 10 am and 6pm. She works nights. But then her husband works days and he gets upset if there is any noise at night. So that is stressful too.

They were out of town for the last month but now they are back and with a vengence. If we aren't tip toeing around up here we hear about it. So throwing the ball around or getting the laser light out the two dogs sound like a heard of elephants.

I miss living on the first floor, they said next time they hear a peep out of the dogs or they hear stomping around they are calling managment. Well we don't stop around and our dogs barely make noise, unless they hear something really loud or maintence comes in unnannounced
If I where you I would call management my self and tell them you are not going to ruin your life because the neighbor downstairs works nights. I am sorry these are the types of things you should expect when living in apts. if the neighbors did not want noise they should have moved to the top floor.......

I have neighbors that stomp around for years I also hear them playing with their pug running back and forth. I do not care since its all in the day time.

I had a neighbor below me try to complain and said that we vacuum at 10-12 am or something stupid like that. I do not vacuum at those times I wash my hair and blow dry it. I still do it and i have not heard another complaint yet. If i do i am just going to tell the manager that i am drying my hair and you can't tell some one when and when they can't wash their hair lol

I also had a crazy neighbor that used to live above me she decided to play the piano at 3am every morning lol no that is something that is not necessary so we complained.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think managment is getting the idea that these people are a little too quick to complain. I mean we try so hard to be respectful of our neighbors because we want them to be respectful of us.

I can't wait until they start complaining because they hear a baby crying at 3 in the morning. Oh well can't do much about that. (WE can hear our neighbors above us talking through the bathroom vent, we can hear our neighbors downstairs their cats fighting through the bedroom vent. So I am sure they will hear the baby)

We try to be settled in by 9;30. (no noise between 10 pm and 6 am that is the rules around here...whether its active barky dogs or loud music)

But I feel during the day I should be able to let my dogs play if they want. And not have to worry about the people below us as long as the dogs aren't barking that is. (We;ve lived here longer than them.)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Absolutely you should be able to. As someone who has worked nights before, you can't expect the daytime world to be quiet just because you need to sleep. It just doesn't work like that.

I can't believe they just let their cats run free when they go away. They sound like horrible people. How old are they? Maybe they'll die soon. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Absolutely you should be able to. As someone who has worked nights before, you can't expect the daytime world to be quiet just because you need to sleep. It just doesn't work like that.

I can't believe they just let their cats run free when they go away. They sound like horrible people. How old are they? Maybe they'll die soon. ;)

They are in their 50s (they retired early)

The apartment called animal control out and they picked up these cats 2 times now. And have sent out memos to everyone, keep your cats indoors this will be enforced.

Honestly if they travel as much as they do they don't need to have pets.

Also again regarding the treat ball, anyone ever use one?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts