Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to motivate to give Blueberry a good brushing but since I’m procrastinating I started to wonder about why I brush it like I do. I know dog shampoo is formulated for dog skin. But is dog hair different too? As a curly/wavy haired human, I’d never comb or brush my hair when it was dry. Wet comb in the shower will LOTS of conditioner. And a slicker would completely destroy my hair. So wondering why does the the dry comb with slicker work for poodle hair (though we use a comb more frequently because he seems to hate all slickers).

·
Premium Member
24,103 Posts
What we try to avoid with curly human hair (the frizzy fluffed look) is just what we want in poodle hair, a lot of lift and straightening.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense from an aesthetic sense. Wondering if from a comfort perspective it would be nicer feeling for Blueberry to do a wet comb with conditioner like I do. Not everyday because, unlike Noodle, he does not hop in the shower when I do. I’ve read you should brush out before a bath but I’m not sure why.

·
Registered
833 Posts
That makes sense from an aesthetic sense. Wondering if from a comfort perspective it would be nicer feeling for Blueberry to do a wet comb with conditioner like I do. Not everyday because, unlike Noodle, he does not hop in the shower when I do. I’ve read you should brush out before a bath but I’m not sure why.
The main idea being that if your dog's coat is is in terrible condition and matted before you shower, then a shower is just going to make it worse and mattes tighter.

We don't do that step currently. Although we have in the past to calibrate if we really need to or not. I find that if you brushed your poodle in the last 36 hours and they are still dry and debris free, then they are good to go straight to the bath.

I would bet that most poodle parents here take above average care or their dogs coat and don't need to do the extra step. But, it's a necessary precaution for the dog community as a whole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts