Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In 2007, Poodle Forum opened for Poodle enthusiasts to meet online and talk about Poodles.
The original self described owner and founder signed on as T o d d.

The earliest post I can find is from Sept 25 2007 where he introduces Moose, his brown standard.

T o d d
Poodle Named Moose
Joined Sep 25, 2007
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 • Sep 25, 2007

This is Moose our 15 week/old brown standard poodle Some pics were taken before moose was 15 weeks.. more to come !

A little more about T o d d from a later thread
T o d d
Poodle Named Moose
Joined Sep 25, 2007
1,125 Posts
#4 • Jun 22, 2008

Hi Andrea -
I am the admin/founder of the forum.
From <Hello All>

I don't know if this ever got developed but it's a cool idea :)
T o d d
Poodle Named Moose
Joined Sep 25, 2007
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter • #3 • Jun 4, 2008

Since we are a core group so far I think it would be cool to make "Smilies" (right hand side) of our poodle's heads. So we can use them as
or maybe -Todd (Moose Head Image).
If you have a nice picture of your dogs head looking at you, licking, eating, or whatever as long as it is a clear shot of their head I will make it into a smiley for you to use. (Easy as point and click like it is now)
Post up poodle head pictures here
From <New Icons / Smileys>

This from a thread just weeks after he sold PF
T o d d
Poodle Named Moose
Joined Sep 25, 2007
1,125 Posts
#31 • Nov 13, 2009

Website developer. I develop websites for people, and myself. Customers range from mild mom-n-pop sites to full e-commerce and custom programmed sites. I also specialize in online marketing, advertising, lead-gen and search optimization.
I`m able to stay at home, and be Moose's slave 24/7 :scared: lol!!!
From <What do you do for a living?>

This is the announcement of the sale. In the same time frame, BeagleWorld, DobermanTalk, GoldenRetrieverForum, and BulldogBreeds were also sold.
T o d d
Poodle Named Moose
Joined Sep 25, 2007
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 • Sep 29, 2009

Good morning everyone,
This is to announce to our community that we have moved to a new home.
Effective yesterday, I have transferred ownership of PoodleForum.com to a new owner.
PoodleForum.com is now part of a family of websites also known as Verticalscope. You will soon be introduced to "Yung Lee", who will be logged in as the "administrator". OK,so you might be thinking of a lot of questions and I will be glad to answer anything I don't cover.
So the first may be why?
For me this was the most difficult situation I have encountered in a very long time. I just simply felt I was not enjoying the forum for what it is, a wonderful collection of people from many diverse areas, jobs, personalities, experiences, etc.. and I was so bogged down with all the technical details of the forum, like fixing code, backups, etc.. I had very little time to post and be part of the family.

How does this affect you?
The beautiful part is, that it doesn't affect you at all. If your an admin or mod you will remain an admin or mod, if your a member of the forum just continue to enjoy the site. Nothing in regards to how we conduct ourselves daily will change. I will simply ask the new ownership team to make any major changes updates, etc when required instead of me doing it. I will still be here I am not going anywhere, as a matter of fact I intend to be here more!
So please join me in this new endeavor while we make this place even better!

Sincerely,
Todd

poodleadm
Administrator
Joined Sep 16, 2009
686 Posts
#2 • Sep 29, 2009

Hello community members,
I would like to introduce myself to you: my name is Yung and I will be the new “Admin” for PoodleForum.com.
A little about me: I am a dog lover. I grew up with a Doberman (with a Chinese name my parents gave to him – Sou Mei : ). He died when I was 10. As little kids (my brothers and I), I remember we use to take him to the park and just spend hours and hours playing fetch while my parents would sit and watch over us. The neighbourhood kids would join in and the three of us brothers became quite popular because of Sou-mei. Good times with him.
After a couple of years of taking a break from having a dog in the home, we got a Dalmation (don't ask why but my parents brought him home one day). We called him Cookies because he reminded us of Cookies and Cream ice cream. He was active as a pup but we trained him well and shortly, he became a very good friend to me as my brothers were growing up and headed off to university. He was a really good guard dog too because a few times, people try to break into my car and he started barking which of course, woke everyone up. He passed away a few years ago. Again, good times.
Fast forward to where I am now. Last year, my wife and I took in a Chocolate Lab. We named her Joy. She's been the joy of our lives for the past year... I know, cheesy. But my wife loves her a lot, even more than me some days. : ) I really do hope to add another dog to our family in the next 15 months. We're tight on living space right now but once that gets sorted out, we'll be adding a new dog for sure.
I hope to contribute to this community in a positive manner and be as helpful with day-to-day stuff as I can.
Let me also share a little about VerticalScope.
Our team specializes in managing online communities in different areas of interests. We bring to the table a staff and an infrastructure that can ensure PoodleForum.com will be around for years to come.
What are our intentions?
Our goal is to provide the resources required to have a broader reach and attract more knowledgeable dog owners to contribute that knowledge to the community. We want to continue making this an enjoyable experience and source for Poodle fans. We have a tech staff that is essentially on call 24/7 should there be any issues with connectivity.
Will the leadership change?
Absolutely not. We believe this community is unique and to that end we will continue to support the existing rules and leaders. The Admins and Mods here are the ones that know you the best. You guys know what rules apply to this community and who all the trouble makers are.
Each community is vastly different from the next so it’s important that the rules and culture of this community in which you guys have been familiar with in the past stay in place to keep things the same.
What will my role be?
Well I will primarily be a technical contact. I will check the site daily to make sure that if there are issues that arise, they will be handled promptly and correctly. We will be working closely with community moderators and at time members to ensure this community is well supported. However, since I am a dog lover too, I want to contribute when I can. By no means do I claim to be the be-all-end-all dog guy...far from it. In fact, I'll probably end up learning from you guys for the most part.
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns – you can post them here or send me a PM and I will love to answer as much as I can. See you guys around!

Yung

Need admin assistance? Post here so we can help you!
From <~~ Announcement ~~>
And this from 2011. This seems to be his last post, a year and some after the sale

T o d d
Poodle Named Moose
Joined Sep 25, 2007
1,125 Posts
#9 • May 10, 2011

nu2poodles said:
Is he pointing by sight or scent, or both ? (Good bird dogs style up at the scent of birds.) Raised leg is not particularly desirable in a pointing dog (point is just an arrested stalk, hence the sometimes raised leg stance). What would determine whether he would be a great bird dog or no, is how he handles birds when he is no longer allowed to chase them.
I bet Moose can swim. Doesn't mean he likes swimming, and there are lots of reasons he might not like swimming (type/time of exposure being important) ~~~

Rain doesn't retrieve at all (... yet). But I don't think this is necessarily because she is lacking retrieving ability. I think it is more likely that it is because, for the first year of her life, she never interacted with a human in this capacity, but rather had spent that first, formative year entertaining herself by throwing a ball and chasing it.
I`m not sure what he's smelling
Since I can't smell it either. But I know he has really good ears and/or smell... Often we are in my office about 20' from the back door (in another room too) and he knows when a deer is in the back yard. He's even alerted us when the sliding glass door was closed.
He points/lifts leg, and also points/stalks depending on his mood I guess. The point/stalk I believe he does more to play because he often does it when the pup walks by or a human and then bounces around all excited like. I heard it could be a dominate thing too but he's def. not dominate with me or other humans.
He's afraid of birds since he wasn't taught to be a bird dog
I think there's even a picture of him "checking out" a bird on the ground.. on these forums. He will get close sniff, and then back away not sure what to do. Which is good, I don't want him to chase birds but he will chase anything.. birds, deer, etc.
As far as swimming... I had to pull him from under the water in the pool. He can't swim to save his life.
HE LOVES to swim with his life vest though.
-Todd
From <News article: Do poodles hunt?>

I can't find anything giving membership numbers or how they grew during his administration.

After searching randomly thru threads of the era I can tell you that the landscape is very familiar.

People come to PF to learn about poodles when they're starting their search, they come to share their happiness when they have their new furry family member, they come to ask about training when they need guidance, they fight over differing viewpoints and opinions, they come for support when their poodle isn’t well and they're afraid, they come for solace when their poodle crosses the Bridge.

PF is here and We are PF.

Raise your glass to T o d d for creating PF and to us for keeping it going!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Interesting PF history. Thanks for posting this RnP, and thanks to Todd for starting PF!

·
Super Moderator
5,118 Posts
Fascinating! Thanks for sharing!

And thank you to Poodlebeguiled for encouraging me to join. I'd have been lost in Peggy's early days without you all, and this has quickly become my favourite social media platform. It's got all the good stuff, and none of the silliness. Reminds me of my earliest days on the internet.

·
Premium Member
9,690 Posts
Yay, Todd and Moose! I couldn’t have survived a poodle without PF, so thanks to all who came after and those here today.?

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I wonder where they are now and what dogs they have.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for posting this. I wonder where they are now and what dogs they have.
I pop over to some of the sister forums occasionally, more frequently since the recent upheaval (which has also happened before), and in one of them, the founder dropped in to say hi from time to time by reviving his original thread.

I'm tempted to try that with T o d d :). If he has the same email, I'm sure it'll be quite the surprise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts