Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

I am new here :)

I have both a toy and phantom standard. find us on Instagram @kkandzeus.

This post I am wondering- I have tried for two months and the toy still will eat standards food over his own.
I feed the standard Purina adult focus with mixing in wellness brand canned food in the morning occasionally so eats its it all up.

For the toy I purchased well core toy puppy which he will eat as a training treat but not as a meal- he will only go after the big guys food.

So I was wondering if any of you have both sizes and feed them the same food? if so... what??? love to hear! Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Once they are both on adult food the only real difference is the size of the kibble- which is obviously not an issue for you, lol. A toy size dog can be switched to adult food by 6-9 months so you don't have too long to go!
For now, I would suggest a few things. If your standard is on the lean side, try mixing their food together and feeding them both that. Maybe your toy just wants what his big bro is, or at least from his dish! If that doesn't work or your standard should not be getting the extra calories, you could feed them both the adult food and add puppy canned food to the toy's dish once a day. And either way, keep using the puppy kibble for training and be super generous!
As far as what kind of food, I am not a Purina fan but I know a lot of peoe here are very happy with it. You could also look for a brand that does "All life stages" diets, again I don't like those since I'd rather be specific to the individual dog, but in your case it would be an option as long as your standard isn't too heavy. I hear lots of people rave about Victor, I think they are all life stages. Personally I like Royal Canin, Science Diet, and Fromm.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I feed Purina Pro Plan Sport to my standard, Poppy. I do ńot have a toy, but the kibbles are very small and 2 will fit on the face of a dime with space left over. It is an all life stages food and recommended for all sizes of dog. Poppy loves it and does VERY WELL on it!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I get pro plan sport for my mini’s. Nova who is a little over 8lbs doesn’t have a problem with it and both dogs love it. Not sure I like the ingredients though. My local store doesn’t have it so I buy from chewy.

I would stay away from Science Diet. They are getting sued by a lot of people saying their food is killing dogs . It’s not been recalled yet.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I use Pro Plan Focus for all 4 of my dogs. I top it with a little canned meat (usually Wellness). They vary greatly in size from the 70(?) lb Labrador to the 8 lb Chihuahua/Pom. My poodle, Zoe, is a picky eater, but does like to eat what another dog has, even if it is exactly the same as the food in her bowl!

I used to feed Wellness Core, but changed to Purina. I figure if most professional dog show handlers feed it that it's probably very good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Puppy food is always a problem! We visited my parents recently and their old dog wanted to eat puppy food while our puppy desperately wanted to eat reduced calorie fat-boy food. They like food variety as much as we do.

Pro-Plan Sport is very close to puppy food except for a bit less calcium. They could (and would) probably both eat it as long as the older one isn't overweight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts