Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I am posting here to ask about the eyes of my two **GOLDENDOODLES. I know they are a mix but they are 75 percent poodle and I wish to compare them to the poodle breed. I have had my beautiful girl stella for about a year and have always thought although she has pretty eyes, they’re too close together. Of course I don’t fault her and love her so much regardless of her appearance, but I still wanted to get your opinion. What really prompted this post is I now have gotten another puppy and his eyes are yet again too close together and he is from a complete different place. His eyes actually are much less beautiful and kinda droopy with his third eyelids showing, but again I love him anyway. Basically I’m asking if this is an unacceptable trait for poodles. These are not show dogs and just family pets so I don’t have a problem with it, I’m just curious. I actually have a third goldendoodle as well who’s eyes are not close together but they have lots of white showing and his third eyelid goes almost to his pupil sometimes.
this photo above is the new puppy. His eyes don’t always looks this droopy but this just shows how loose they are.
this is Stella, my girl as a baby. Her eyes are beautiful in my opinion, just too close together.
These are the new puppy again. Showing they’re not always super droopy, but still close together and not the best shape.
this is my oldest boy Henry as a baby. His eyes were more farther set but there is more white showing.

These are both Henry and Stella- Henry is a giant and also has low set floppy ears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just to add, I would definitely say my middle girl stella is the closest to breed standard/most acceptable. She is my prettiest of the three but they are all loved the same haha!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The standard of the breed states: Eyes: very dark, oval in shape and set far enough apart and positioned to create an alert intelligent expression. Major fault: eyes round, protruding, large or very light. The illustrated standard has this picture:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In my opinion, I prefer clean faces on dogs because then it's easier to see their eyes and read their expressions. Have you considered this? My girl looks very different with a lot of fur on her face as compared to when she has a clean face.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The standard of the breed states: Eyes: very dark, oval in shape and set far enough apart and positioned to create an alert intelligent expression. Major fault: eyes round, protruding, large or very light. The illustrated standard has this picture:

View attachment 471427
I have read the standard but I don’t know what is exactly too close. I don’t find stellas eyes to be too big or round. They are almond and small and very dark. They are not protruding. The only thing is they may be too close together. The puppies are almond, not round but they’re a little bit droopy and close together. my biggest male Henry has a good distance between them, but his eyes are more round and big. I am really just wondering how much of a fault these are in my dogs. Is it minor in their case or are they very far from standard. Again I don’t mind even if they’re worst case, I’m just curious where they fall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You posted elsewhere that these dogs are all goldendoodles. That will change the answers you’re given. Are they purebred or not? Because golden retrievers sometimes have loose, droopy eyes like that, so if they’re mixes, that’s likely where they got the eyes. Mixes rarely get the best of both breeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my opinion, I prefer clean faces on dogs because then it's easier to see their eyes and read their expressions. Have you considered this? My girl looks very different with a lot of fur on her face as compared to when she has a clean face.
Yes, both my older dogs have been shaved but not as tight as the usual poodle cut. I prefer the fluffy goldendoodle look personally on my puppies

This is Stella
this is Henry
this is Stella
This last photo is stellas dad. I don’t have many photos of her when she was short but her eyes look a lot like his.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You posted elsewhere that these dogs are all goldendoodles. That will change the answers you’re given. Are they purebred or not? Because golden retrievers sometimes have loose, droopy eyes like that, so if they’re mixes, that’s likely where they got the eyes. Mixes rarely get the best of both breeds.
Yes they are goldendoodles! I can't believe I didn’t mention that in the post I completely meant to! They are 75 percent poodle. 25 percent golden retriever. Both Stellas parents looked exactly like poodles which is probably why she has more of the poodle features.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Here are two new photos of Benji the puppy since I gave his face a trim. He previously had his snout shaved similar to the poodle cut and it was growing back funny so I trimmed it to make eveything more even and show his eyes better.

·
Super Moderator
6,435 Posts
I wonder if there's some parti poodle in there. Peggy's parti dad has very prominent third eyelids and Peggy inherited this (though not to the same degree). It's definitely a "fault," but your dogs are very cute and I wouldn't let it bother me unless it bothers them.

Peggy's certainly more prone to eye issues than she should be. So aesthetics aside, there's a reason not to breed poodles with this particular trait.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They're cute, and there's nothing you can do about it. I would continue to enjoy for who and how they are.
I completely agree. It doesn’t bother me one bit I think they’re all adorable. The older two are also fantastic dogs. They are so well behaved and sweet. The puppy is amazing as well but he is like I said, a puppy so behavior isn’t quite there yet, but it’s coming along! I truly was just curious as I always thought their eyes were interesting and I’ve only really seen it on my dogs and no other poodle/doodle I’ve come across or even pictures. Both the close togetherness and the third eyelids so prominent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if there's some parti poodle in there. Peggy's parti dad has very prominent third eyelids and Peggy inherited this (though not to the same degree). It's definitely a "fault," but your dogs are very cute and I wouldn't let it bother me unless it bothers them.

Peggy's certainly more prone to eye issues than she should be. So aesthetics aside, there's a reason not to breed poodles with this particular trait.
Thanks for the reply! My Henry who has very prominent third eyelids has never had an eye problem in his life. Actually he hasn’t had a single health issue and he is 7 years old and 110 pounds! So perhaps it’s just your Peggy who happens to have eye issues, or perhaps Henry is the exception. I guess I will know based on if my new puppy Benji has any eye problems with his prominent third eyelids.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply! My Henry who has very prominent third eyelids has never had an eye problem in his life. Actually he hasn’t had a single health issue and he is 7 years old and 110 pounds! So perhaps it’s just your Peggy who happens to have eye issues, or perhaps Henry is the exception. I guess I will know based on if my new puppy Benji has any eye problems with his prominent third eyelids.
Also, regarding the Parti, I don’t really know how genetics work with the poodles but Henry the big boy does have two colors. They are so close in color that I don’t consider him anything but cream, but he has darker cream to apricot spots on his back and ears. He also has lots of dark dots on his tummy which I always thought were cute.

·
Registered
667 Posts
There is of course no sense in comparing a goldendoodle to the poodle breed standard. Perhaps you can talk to your goldendoodle breeder and ask her or him what they are aiming for in regards to the eyes when they plan their breeding program. What are their breeding goals?

It’s good for all dog owners to pay attention to the health of their dogs eyes. I know there are veterinary ophthalmologists who could do in-depth testing of your dog’s eyes if you have health concerns.

As far as beauty goes, the eyes are the windows of the soul so I’m pretty sure your dog’s eyes are beautiful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is of course no sense in comparing a goldendoodle to the poodle breed standard. Perhaps you can talk to your goldendoodle breeder and ask her or him what they are aiming for in regards to the eyes when they plan their breeding program. What are their breeding goals?

It’s good for all dog owners to pay attention to the health of their dogs eyes. I know there are veterinary ophthalmologists who could do in-depth testing of your dog’s eyes if you have health concerns.

As far as beauty goes, the eyes are the windows of the soul so I’m pretty sure your dog’s eyes are beautiful.
I do agree. I truly was just wondering how they compared to the poodle breed standard for fun. I was mainly asking because I don’t understand where they got their features from and I wondered if it was normal. I also think they resemble poodles more than golden retrievers, especially Stella. They are definitely all adorable. I did not get Stella or Benji from a breeder. Benji was a rehome and Stella was an accidental litter from someone’s two family pets. Henry was the only one I got from a breeder and it was before we had any knowledge about breeds or dogs in general. They couldn’t have been too reputable becusee they said he would be 35-40 pounds and he is 110 pounds.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Your dogs are all adorable. As far as their eyes are concerned, to me they don’t look like poodles eyes. They are too round. This is to be expected as they are mixed, but they do have beautiful eyes.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I don't think your dogs look like poodles, their hair yes but build and appearance is all golden, so I think it would be difficult to compare the eyes. The two breeds have totally different head shapes so I think that makes the set of the eyes off. In any case your doodles are quite cute.

·
Registered
404 Posts
To me Henry especially looks very much like a Golden, other than his coat texture of course. I've definitely seen quite a few Goldens with the droopy eyes, although I believe that is a fault in that breed as well.
Henry and the puppy both seem to have rounder eyes than poodles typically do, hard to tell on Stella but her dad has rounder eyes too. I suspect that the shape is adding to the effect of being close together. Also poodles have a very narrow skull, so the combination of the narrow poodle nose with a wider Golden skull could be throwing the eye set off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts