Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teddy and Ginger have been flapping their ears like crazy since I gave them their summer hair cut and did their ears pretty close but some hair on there - I have been cleaning the ears and there is no wax or gunk - they do have to get the ear hair plucked but I never saw them shake so much! there is also a slight odor. anyone got any ideas before I call the vet? Thanks!
Pam

·
Registered
781 Posts
jessie was shaking her head a lot even though i wasn't getting much wax, however, i noticed a lot of hair down in the canal. since i don't know how to pluck it (yet - starting to get my grooming training this thursday if my girl is up to it). ok, so anyway, brought her to the vet. the plucked the hair. my friend is the tech there. she had jessie in the back over 20 minutes. she told me, not only was there a lot of hair in the canal, but the hair had wax intertwined with it. the hair int he canal was preventing the wax from coming out. once the hair was plucked, jessie was fine. maybe you should call the vet and have them do a thorough plucking and see if that works.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Oh PS - can you see ear mites?
Is there a lot of gunk in the ear ? if so it could be ear mites . Just get some ear mite medicine. Mites are pretty easy to take care of your self so not vet really needed here are some pics

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no the ears are pretty clean - I think Jessie's mom has the answer - there is just too much hair in there . I got a lot out of Teddy today and then used the powder the vet gave me - but Ginger I can't get any hair and she always cries when I touch her ear a certain way -always and vet has found nothing - but I will have to take them I guess - ugh! another bill in between necessary visits! lol

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we just got back from the vet and it wasn't the hair - wasn't mites or an infection - it is allergies! Ginger licks and bites her front paws and he said that combined with the ear flapping usually means allergies. Both of their ears (both dogs) were inflamed but no infection so they have allergy ear drops, benedry, and fish oil -and every night I need to take a damp towel and wipe them down. such fun!!!! they are resting now - looks like the benedryl kicked in!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
we just got back from the vet and it wasn't the hair - wasn't mites or an infection - it is allergies! Ginger licks and bites her front paws and he said that combined with the ear flapping usually means allergies. Both of their ears (both dogs) were inflamed but no infection so they have allergy ear drops, benedry, and fish oil -and every night I need to take a damp towel and wipe them down. such fun!!!! they are resting now - looks like the benedryl kicked in!
Ohhhhh, sorrry to hear that it is allergies. Did the vet say what the allergy is from, or any idea what? Wishing you and your furbies the best! Maybe they need a food change???

·
Registered
24 Posts
If their ears were heavy, they shake afterwards just because of the difference in weight. Watch the tips. Some dogs have been known to make the tips of their ears bleed from whacking them on themselves if they are clean shaven. But this is usually only if they were heavily matted. Also, If they shake them too much, they can also give themselves an aural hematoma.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow! that is scary - actually after the benedryl kicked in they both had a nap and now are eating din din. they havent shaken their ears since they woke up! yay! Vet said probably environmental allergies not food.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
That's interesting that both have this problem. Food is likely always the culprit from what I have read and seen. I wonder what the issue is, maybe pollen? Ours is bad here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts