Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Today I was looking at Evie's ears and I noticed that they where wet inside, I cleaned a plucked them yesterday so, I thought that they would be fine. Is this normal?
Thank you.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like a clear fluid, that just makes it a little bit wetter than damp. There is gunk in her ears.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Have you spoken to your vet and had your dog’s ears checked.

My dogs ears are never wet except after a bath. Dog’s ears shouldn’t be wet otherwise.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will speak to Evie's vet. Last time I went with her I found out that she had a yeast infection in her left ear. I was charged $90 dollars to fix it, how much does it usually cost?
Thank you.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I’ve never had an ear infection with my current minipoo or my tpoo. But I suspect that yeast infection may not have cleared up and might have spread. Vet visits are expensive these days so I’m not surprised you paid that much. If your dog is still suffering from yeast infection then you need to continue treatment. Yeast can be difficult to treat and if left to fester could be more difficult and expensive to treat.

Both my poodles didn’t have a lot of fur in their ears. I never plucked, but always trimmed excess hair. Some dogs have very thick ear hair that may make it more likely to get infected. Ask your vet for their judgement and recommendations to keep your dog’s ears from developing problem.

Also food and environmental allergies can cause ear problems. Is your dog itching or having abnormal poop?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I periodically use this on Renns ears, basically to keep them clean . Zymox Plus Advanced Formula 1% Hydrocortisone Otic Dog & Cat Ear Solution, He gets groomed every 4 weeks so his groomer takes care in skipping his ears and may periodically pluck them if she feel its needed. About a day after grooming I usually clean out his ears with the cleaner. About two weeks ago I noticed his ears getting blocked with fur so I put some ear grooming powder on my finger and pulled a few pieces out to thin it. He had one bad ear infection early on but has been good since I began doing th is.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you.
Evie's ears are super hairy, so that may be part of the problem. I just changed to Bill Jack dog food from Victor, because Evie would not eat Victor. I have wondered if she is allergic to her food, she has been itching more since I started her on it. She might also just have allergies to the environment.
Thank you.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Thank you.
Evie's ears are super hairy, so that may be part of the problem. I just changed to Bill Jack dog food from Victor, because Evie would not eat Victor. I have wondered if she is allergic to her food, she has been itching more since I started her on it. She might also just have allergies to the environment.
Thank you.
EVpoodle, you need to get a handle on this or you will have real problems with your dog's ears.

If your dog's ear canals are very hairy and your dog may be having moistness due to allergies etc. - you have prime conditions for yeast and infections.

The odd itch is one thing but if your dog is itching often - you need to determine the cause and resolve it. Licking paws and a little redness in the ear leather is also indications of potential allergies or irritation.

You need to thin out some of the hair and ask your vet for help if your dog has food or environmental allergies.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. I am going to start plucking, and possibly change her food. If I have any concerns I will contact evils vet.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Please be careful when you pluck the hair from her ears. If there is that much get it done over a period of days rather than all at once. Plucking can be very irritating, especially if they are not used to it. Also, try to clean her ears regularly. Just a thought
Jcris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts