Poodle Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just curious. My Igor had his rabies shot (mandatory here yearly shots) and two days later his ears are full of brown gunk - and they've been perfect for a long time. Anyone ever experienced that?? He is allergic to certain foods and maybe it's just a coincidence, but still... Weird. I just hat those mandatory rabies shots :(
This is something of a longshot, but it could be that the irritation of the shot made his earwax production speed up temporarily and washed out some gunk build-up. Observe for a few days and if there's no foul smell, signs of pain/discomfort (apart from itchy gunk), additional symptoms, and it goes away on its own (stays cleaner after you clean it), IMO there's no need to worry.

(I personally have the runny type of earwax, and sometimes an allergic reaction or seemingly nothing at all makes the wax secretion kick up a few gears, to the point my ear gets distinctly wet or it even drips out.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
My vet is adamant that ears not be plucked. The hair protects the ear and keeps them from getting infections. He also states they don't need to be washed out unless an odor indicates a problem. Just wipe with damp cloth when bathing and keep water or any liquid out. Just saying...I know it's controversial.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
My dogs MUST get their ears plucked correctly, or they get so much hair in there that there's no air moving and it gets closed up with wax. Lots and lots of hair. If we were to trim the hair inside it would be bad because any hair that falls inside can make it worse so plucking it out is the best for my 2. I make sure to keep the underside of the ear flap shaved to create air movement under there.
And ZYMOX ! Miraculous cleaner and MEDICINE!

We only rinse their ears with the Zymox cleaner occasionally
and we do pluck the ears every time they get a haircut.

If it gets infected Zymox medication for 7 to 14 days and it's gone!
In as little as the first 2 days you can actually see redness disappear and the pain is gone too!
Just personal experience, I'm not in any way educated to give medical advice, I'm just talking from what's happened with my babies.

******** They both used to have chronic ear infections that would persist and were resistant to all the 4 different medicines vets prescribed, The only thing that ever worked was Zymox and they rarely get any ear troubles anymore :)

Sorry if it sounded like I was rambling. It just took forever to figure out a solution, I'm just so glad it is behind us.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did she happen to say what kind of vinegar and what kind of contact solution? I wear contacts and there are some that provide moisture.
The white vinegar is usually used, and contact solution that contains boric acid.

I’m dealing with one ear funky smell in our older poodle. Only had him since fall... we had been plucking regularly with fingers, and then one day I looked and his ears were full of hair and he absolutely had a lot of brown gunk in one, I cleaned and flushed it with vinegar and then used some anti-fungal ointment on it, and it is still funky. I had hoped to just use items I had around the house... now I have a vet appt for tomorrow with a snowstorm on the way too.

I should have come here right away when I noticed it. I do have contact lens cleaner for his eye drainage.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
The white vinegar is usually used, and contact solution that contains boric acid.

I’m dealing with one ear funky smell in our older poodle. Only had him since fall... we had been plucking regularly with fingers, and then one day I looked and his ears were full of hair and he absolutely had a lot of brown gunk in one, I cleaned and flushed it with vinegar and then used some anti-fungal ointment on it, and it is still funky. I had hoped to just use items I had around the house... now I have a vet appt for tomorrow with a snowstorm on the way too.

I should have come here right away when I noticed it. I do have contact lens cleaner for his eye drainage.
25 years ago I had a standard poodle mix who had horrible infections for 3 yrs and we tried everything to fix it. I changed vets to an old timey country vet who steered me in the right direction. He was pretty unconventional at times but this worked for us. Some people may be outraged at what he suggested. Here goes.

He said medicine won't work if the ears still have all the dirt and crap in them so you have to clean them well. Mix 1 tablespoon dawn dish soap in 16 oz warm water. Put it in a long nozzle ear cleaner bottle, shake well and fill the ears up with that. Massage the ears well then rinse rinse rinse and rinse some more with clear water until every thing comes out clear. Repeat again in a couple of days. You will get out lots and lots of the brown icky smelling stuff ...I got out chunks of it.

Then he said to Look up the recipe for blue power ear cleaner. It has gentian violet, boric acid and a couple of other things in it....can't think of the exact recipe right now but I will post it when I find it. Follow directions for using it and you will never have another ear infection again. And I never did....after 3 yrs of misery.

An alternative to the blue power solution would be to use a solution of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 rubbing alcohol to flush the ears. YOU CAN NOT use this when the ears are infected. It will be painful. Once ears are not infected use this once a day for a week, then once a week for a month then once a month forever. Just flush the ears with it and let them shake out the rest. The vinegar kills yeast and bacteria and the alcohol drys out the ears.

If you want a ready made version of the blue power solution then Liquid Health K9 Ear Solution is what you would order ....get it on Amazon. It is amazing.

The key, to me was getting all the brown icky stuff out with the ear wash then cure the infection.

After three miserable years of infections and lots of prescription meds which never worked the old timey vet's suggestion did work. Rose never had another infection in her life.

For 14 yrs I never had ear infections with Iris, but I did use the alcohol vinegar flush once in a While to keep things clean.

When I got Poppy her ears were dirty and got worse quickly. We cleaned the Texas dust from her ears using the Dawn solution and we have never had an issue since. Just sweet healthy ears! Good luck.

P.S. What ever solution I use to clean a dog's ears I always warm it to body temp before using it so I am not pouring cold stuff down a sensitive ear.

Here is a link for the blue power ear solution and how to use it.

BLUE POWER EAR TREATMENT

And I am adding a picture of the K9 ear solution available on amazon

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh gosh, so helpful! We ditched the $50 vet visit, and yesterday picked up an ear cleanse for $8 at the pet store... two treatments and flushed out all the stuff, his ear looks clean all the way down the ear canal (used a flashlight on the outside of the ear to illuminate any funk, think of how you'd shine a flashlight on your hand as a kid), and he very happily let me clean it tonight. Two thumbs up on just flushing it out! It's basically a salicylic acid/alcohol mixture I'll continue using for a few weeks/month.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Oh gosh, so helpful! We ditched the $50 vet visit, and yesterday picked up an ear cleanse for $8 at the pet store... two treatments and flushed out all the stuff, his ear looks clean all the way down the ear canal (used a flashlight on the outside of the ear to illuminate any funk, think of how you'd shine a flashlight on your hand as a kid), and he very happily let me clean it tonight. Two thumbs up on just flushing it out! It's basically a salicylic acid/alcohol mixture I'll continue using for a few weeks/month.
Oh, I am so happy that is helping him feel better. Amazing how they know when something is good for them. Hope this continues to work well for you. It is so hard to see our kids feel crummy and have stinky uncomfortable ears. Hoping for a quick turn around for your boy!

·
Registered
25 Posts
You won't believe what I just saw on my breeder's facebook page. She told how she keeps all of her dogs' ears clean and infection free.
I have not tried it yet, but will shortly.
"Hey Everyone, They do need to be plucked. However if you will fill 2 small spray bottles. Fill one with 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar and fill the other with contact solution. Alternate weeks using vinegar solution 1 week and contact solution the next and spray each ear 1 time per week. Soak them good but not too much. We pluck all ears here at FAMILY AFFAIR and do this same regiment and it WORKS. NO EAR INFECTIONS
The vinegar takes care of yeast infections and contact solution prevents bacteria infections"

Yes, contact solution. Makes such good sense.
I realize this thread is quite old, but i'm confused about contact solution. i don't know what you're referring to. do you mean contact lens solution? if so, do you mean the kind that is just a saline solution or the one that is hydrogen peroxide based and does not contain a preservative or the solution that has preservative? thank you!

·
Registered
337 Posts
25 years ago I had a standard poodle mix who had horrible infections for 3 yrs and we tried everything to fix it. I changed vets to an old timey country vet who steered me in the right direction. He was pretty unconventional at times but this worked for us. Some people may be outraged at what he suggested. Here goes.

He said medicine won't work if the ears still have all the dirt and crap in them so you have to clean them well. Mix 1 tablespoon dawn dish soap in 16 oz warm water. Put it in a long nozzle ear cleaner bottle, shake well and fill the ears up with that. Massage the ears well then rinse rinse rinse and rinse some more with clear water until every thing comes out clear. Repeat again in a couple of days. You will get out lots and lots of the brown icky smelling stuff ...I got out chunks of it.

Then he said to Look up the recipe for blue power ear cleaner. It has gentian violet, boric acid and a couple of other things in it....can't think of the exact recipe right now but I will post it when I find it. Follow directions for using it and you will never have another ear infection again. And I never did....after 3 yrs of misery.

An alternative to the blue power solution would be to use a solution of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 rubbing alcohol to flush the ears. YOU CAN NOT use this when the ears are infected. It will be painful. Once ears are not infected use this once a day for a week, then once a week for a month then once a month forever. Just flush the ears with it and let them shake out the rest. The vinegar kills yeast and bacteria and the alcohol drys out the ears.

If you want a ready made version of the blue power solution then Liquid Health K9 Ear Solution is what you would order ....get it on Amazon. It is amazing.

The key, to me was getting all the brown icky stuff out with the ear wash then cure the infection.

After three miserable years of infections and lots of prescription meds which never worked the old timey vet's suggestion did work. Rose never had another infection in her life.

For 14 yrs I never had ear infections with Iris, but I did use the alcohol vinegar flush once in a While to keep things clean.

When I got Poppy her ears were dirty and got worse quickly. We cleaned the Texas dust from her ears using the Dawn solution and we have never had an issue since. Just sweet healthy ears! Good luck.

P.S. What ever solution I use to clean a dog's ears I always warm it to body temp before using it so I am not pouring cold stuff down a sensitive ear.

Here is a link for the blue power ear solution and how to use it.

BLUE POWER EAR TREATMENT

And I am adding a picture of the K9 ear solution available on amazon
Gotta love those old country vets. I have a Standard Poodle who has "the hairiest ear canals I have seen in my practice" (said my vet). One nasty stinky ear infection and ears always clogged by brown tar as a pup, and once it was cleared here is the successful regimen I have followed for the past 18 months. 1) get ears drastically plucked by groomer every couple of months. 2) flush ear with Burow's Solution once a week, carefully wipe out visible gunk with cotton balls. 3) put in a dropperful of the same blue gentian solution my old vet sells for $8 for a large bottle every week
No problems since

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts