Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can never seem to find this when I'm looking for it so thought I'd post it in here.

Note: You can downloaded it! :)

Good guide on poodle ear care:
http://www.vipoodle.org/PDF_Files/ThePoodleEar.pdf

ETA: The Les Poochs MedAcetic Ear Wash contains boric acid (see the "Purple Ear Wash" in the linked document). It's one of my favorite ear products.
Pooch Botanique’s patented MedAcetic Ear Cleanser with 1.25% Boric and 1.25% Acetic acid is scientifically formulated to alleviate a wide range of ear ailments. This powerful anti-fungal, anti-bacterial formula is easy to use, fast and efficient and designed for routine ear cleansing and drying.This product can also be used on external skin lesions and wounds.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Um, I meant to say you can download it. ;)

I think I had way too much sun today! (And you thought I was going to say wine, didn't you?) :) I couldn't find a sun emoticon so I'm going to use this one simply because it's cute. :willy:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Will have to ask Plum! :)
This is so helpful... Rhett made a trip to the vet this am because of ear issues. Since it has been "a long while " for me in dealing with ear issues. A good primer to kick start the brain for Mom. Thank you for all of the information everyone provides.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Have discovered most ingredients are on eBay but the alcohol aspect can be replaced with surgical spirit, which is on the shelf (I have just bought some) at Boots.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You won't believe what I just saw on my breeder's facebook page. She told how she keeps all of her dogs' ears clean and infection free.
I have not tried it yet, but will shortly.
"Hey Everyone, They do need to be plucked. However if you will fill 2 small spray bottles. Fill one with 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar and fill the other with contact solution. Alternate weeks using vinegar solution 1 week and contact solution the next and spray each ear 1 time per week. Soak them good but not too much. We pluck all ears here at FAMILY AFFAIR and do this same regiment and it WORKS. NO EAR INFECTIONS
The vinegar takes care of yeast infections and contact solution prevents bacteria infections"

Yes, contact solution. Makes such good sense.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
ETA: The Les Poochs MedAcetic Ear Wash contains boric acid (see the "Purple Ear Wash" in the linked document). It's one of my favorite ear products.

For any Canadians. The raw company "carnivoria" makes a genetian violet ear cleaner that also has boric acid. I used this cleaner for years in salon. Successfully brought back my golden inflamed ear back to normal with only that(after boarding kennel).

·
Registered
21 Posts
nice info, thanks, though I've never washed the ear canal of my puppy myself cause I'm still afraid to hurt her ears, everytime I bathe her myself I only wash the upward furry part of the ears.

Btw is it true that I must put a cottonball inside my puppy's ears not to get any water inside her ear canals while bathing?

·
Registered
539 Posts
nice info, thanks, though I've never washed the ear canal of my puppy myself cause I'm still afraid to hurt her ears, everytime I bathe her myself I only wash the upward furry part of the ears.

Btw is it true that I must put a cottonball inside my puppy's ears not to get any water inside her ear canals while bathing?
Because you have a toy, I think that if you are very careful, you can be okay. Just make sure the ear canal stays dry. The cotton is mostly for convenience or if you have a dog that is wilder in the bath. :D
I do use cotton on my Angel, but standards have much bigger ears for water to get inside. lol
And I just work to keep the cotton dry. It also gives me an indicator if I am doing a good job of keeping water away.

When I first got my Angel she had a slight ear issue and all of the over the counter stuff didn't work. But this recipe solution knocked it right out. It was easy to make and I now use it regularly and no problems. :D I think that because it was originally for Cockers and they have similar ears to Poodles it works so well on my Angel.

I also make sure the way the hair around the ear is trimmed allows for the greatest air flow. Angel has very heavy ear hair and if it is not trimmed just so, her ears won't breath, for lack of a better expression. lol

Hope this helps others as much as it did my Angel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cannot obtain the ingredients easily in the UK. Any UK owners have a solution for this problem?
Boric acid and Acetic acid should be easily sourced!

Also regular plucking using powder to get a good grip should prevent the ear conditions.

Prevention is surely better than mixing up cures!

My wee fella is only 5 months old very soon lol but he gets his ear canals plucked every week, they shouldn't be trimmed as they will get spiky and cause more irritation

·
Registered
147 Posts
Boric acid and Acetic acid should be easily sourced!

Also regular plucking using powder to get a good grip should prevent the ear conditions.

Prevention is surely better than mixing up cures!

My wee fella is only 5 months old very soon lol but he gets his ear canals plucked every week, they shouldn't be trimmed as they will get spiky and cause more irritation
Yes, you might have read the post after the one I originally made before responding. It has been some time since I posted, and have since learned a great deal about ear canker. The products cannot be obtained from chemists in the UK (unless you know different) but can be easily obtained on eBay.

Plucking alone does not necessarily prevent fungal ear conditions, but it goes some way towards it in many cases. Each dog is different, and so is each ear. Using the blue ear treatment referred to in this thread can be used as a preventative because it cleans the ears and removes dirt that plucking alone does not.

I do not pluck my dogs' ears every week simply because there is no requirement for it. After using the blue mixture a few times, plus making sure ears are properly washed during bath time, my dogs have seen no recurrence.

As an additional note, I have found ear powder to be rather unnecessary. Good tweezers/forceps eradicate the chances of kicking off ear powder allergies.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Great thread! :D

English is my second language, so I don't recognize the name of most of these substances :p I know alcohol irritates my babies's ears and vinegar burns!!!!! They hate it! Poor babies! So I need to find something new to clean their ears with.

Which one of these substances is the mildest one? And does not contain alcohol or vinegar...

Thanks do much! :)
Ps. I've been giving my poodles 3 big tbl spoons if plain yogurt everyday and they don't have ear infections anymore. Apollo had ear infections non stop before. I bought zymox (recommended by another poodleforum member and I used it once, 1 large bottle for the 2 poodles, it cured it!! after trying 4 different ointments prescribed by the vets, that did not work, this was such a relief!)
And now that they are cured I just keep the daily yogurt, just wanted to share this info, since it worked for my babies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
983 Posts
As an additional note, I have found ear powder to be rather unnecessary. Good tweezers/forceps eradicate the chances of kicking off ear powder allergies.
I would be scared of putting anything sharp into my dog's ears.. when I worked for a groomer, my boss used to pluck the years with forceps, she put them in so deep I was always worried that if a dog moved or jerked it would get injured.

Unless you are really experienced and got a real calm dog, you can do more damage than good with those things.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would be scared of putting anything sharp into my dog's ears.. when I worked for a groomer, my boss used to pluck the years with forceps, she put them in so deep I was always worried that if a dog moved or jerked it would get injured.

Unless you are really experienced and got a real calm dog, you can do more damage than good with those things.
Damage to the ear is quite unlikely because the inner workings of the ear are quite inaccessible. I very much doubt that anyone here has ever witnessed a case of ear damage during plucking.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I actually have, not from ear plucking but from sticking instruments into the dog's ear...... my dog had a grass seed and the vet had to take it out with forceps, and after his ear was bleeding a little and he never let anyone near it again.

That's why I said that unless you are experienced or have a real calm dog who won't unexpectedly move you shouldn't be sticking sharp instruments into your dog's ears. Plucking with fingers should be sufficient.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I actually have, not from ear plucking but from sticking instruments into the dog's ear...... my dog had a grass seed and the vet had to take it out with forceps, and after his ear was bleeding a little and he never let anyone near it again.

That's why I said that unless you are experienced or have a real calm dog who won't unexpectedly move you shouldn't be sticking sharp instruments into your dog's ears. Plucking with fingers should be sufficient.
I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true. The only way to remove hair in the deep parts of the ear canal is with forceps. Fingers simply cannot reach that far.

You state that only an experienced person should undertake such plucking, and I agree with you on that point. As an experienced ear plucker, I always ensure a dog simply cannot move for this procedure.

For my two toys and one mini, plucking is not a horrible experience because they have become accustomed to it. I would suggest that hay seeds should be removed by vets, as you did, but then I always tend to ask my vet if he/she has undertaken procedures before. It is quite remarkable that the younger vets have little experience of removing items from ears.

I am sorry the vet made your dog' ear bleed. I can't see how that was necessary.

Incidentally, I notice that your dog will not let anyone go near his ear. That's something I think you might need to reduce the options on, either with click-reward training, or simply by restraining him. Poodles need to allow their ears to be inspected at any time the owner chooses.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just curious. My Igor had his rabies shot (mandatory here yearly shots) and two days later his ears are full of brown gunk - and they've been perfect for a long time. Anyone ever experienced that?? He is allergic to certain foods and maybe it's just a coincidence, but still... Weird. I just hat those mandatory rabies shots :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts