Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apricot mini Poodle
Mr. Pibbs has had dental problems for awhile but now the past two days he has been whimpering and showing the pain is from the right side of his face I’m sure his teeth/tooth is infected or worse and he has an appointment that’s not for another month I’m worried and was told by an emergency veterinarian that it would be okay to give him one tablet of 25mg Benadryl every six hours to help him but how would I get him to eat the tablet
I’m going to the pet store now to try to find some soft wet food because usually he has dry food and I haven’t seen him eat that today or last night not sure what’s best to get

·
Premium Member
23,624 Posts
Wrap it up in a slice of bologna or American cheese. I don't know why Benedryl would be recommended for this situation though. It is not an analgesic, nor it it an NSAID so won't do much for pain nor for inflammation.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I wonder too why they suggested Benadryl and not a pain medication and antibiotic. If he has an infection, that needs to be treated quickly. Can you arrange an emergency appointment for your regular vet to see your dog on Monday if you can't take him to the emergency vet today for an in person evaluation? I'm assuming you only spoke to the vet over the phone.

I usually wrap pills in a peice of turkey or chicken. Peanut butter works well.

There are pill pockets - I find they are often for very large pills, so I take a smaller chunk to form around a pill.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If he's having that amount of pain, he needs to get into the vet right away. Most likely the tooth will need to be extracted. I know this from personal experience with one of my dogs. They will probably start with antibiotics before the surgery.

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
The pain of an infected tooth is indescribable, and can quickly lead to serious complications. Please get him to the emergency vet (if your regular vet really can't see him for a month), and let us know how it goes.

Hoping antibiotics quickly do the trick so he can have the problem tooth extracted. It may actually be more than one. My last girl had almost a dozen pulled, and she was a new dog after. I realized she'd been quietly suffering for years, despite a clean bill of health from our previous vet.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Emergency vets are open on Sunday. I would take the dog in. Getting him immediate help would be a kindness. Insist on veterinary pain medication for him even if they say they can’t help him until Monday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
appreciate all responses
well I went to the vesh emergency animal hospital earlier today about 11:30 AM I called ahead was told to park in a numbered space if available in front of the hospital... I explained what was happening and my concerns , they said they couldn’t do any dental work but would check my poodle and provide medication to make sure he wasn’t in pain and taken care of until getting into to a vet appointment. I went there immediately and followed instructions as discussed once arrived & parked, i called over the phone they informed me there would be a technician that would come out to car also—- that there was a 10 hour wait to be seen !!!!—! I had a ride that was unable to sit in a freezing parking lot for 10 hours in a car unable to leave at all. So I asked if I could check my poodle in and be able to stay with him as I did not want to fill out a form to just drop him off there alone for that long was told no one was able to come in and wasn’t anywhere for me to be with him inside so either leave him there alone for 10hours in a cage or i could sit in the car in the parking lot and not leave or else I’d lose my spot in line i expressed my concern of his pain again to say the least then the woman on the phone says you know what you can do is you can give him a 25mg tablet of Benadryl to make him tired and manage pain 1 every 6 hours “. I felt that I had no choice but to leave the 🏥. Went to a store bought the Benadryl then went to another store and bought soft treats , simply nourish beef recipe pate can, a small can of authority digestive support pumpkin purée to possibly mix a couple teaspoons Once I got back home I took the benadryl snapped the tablet in half and he ate it as I hide it inside his soft treats that was @ 2:49pm that I gave him that tablet and he did eat some of the simply nourish pate too. It’s now 8:40pm and I am going to call the emergency hospital now to ask the current wait time hoping it’ll be alright to get in asap

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Are you able to make an appointment with your normal vet? My dog had a tooth abscess in the spring and they were able to do surgery within 2 days, even with all the Covid issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1EE8ACE7-7BD4-4C72-A80B-AD1F5D58577D.jpeg
764E2B9F-9DC9-498E-86EB-7C64776A863E.jpeg
2A45C0A4-3FC4-441B-92EC-3B18C3C10EB0.jpeg
3C43FAC1-E067-404C-BDEF-C047B315B64B.jpeg
3C43FAC1-E067-404C-BDEF-C047B315B64B.jpeg
764E2B9F-9DC9-498E-86EB-7C64776A863E.jpeg
2A45C0A4-3FC4-441B-92EC-3B18C3C10EB0.jpeg
appreciate all responses
well I went to the vesh emergency animal hospital earlier today about 11:30 AM I called ahead was told to park in a numbered space if available in front of the hospital... I explained what was happening and my concerns , they said they couldn’t do any dental work but would check my poodle and provide medication to make sure he wasn’t in pain and taken care of until getting into to a vet appointment. I went there immediately and followed instructions as discussed once arrived & parked, i called over the phone they informed me there would be a technician that would come out to car also—- that there was a 10 hour wait to be seen !!!!—! I had a ride that was unable to sit in a freezing parking lot for 10 hours in a car unable to leave at all. So I asked if I could check my poodle in and be able to stay with him as I did not want to fill out a form to just drop him off there alone for that long was told no one was able to come in and wasn’t anywhere for me to be with him inside so either leave him there alone for 10hours in a cage or i could sit in the car in the parking lot and not leave or else I’d lose my spot in line i expressed my concern of his pain again to say the least then the woman on the phone says you know what you can do is you can give him a 25mg tablet of Benadryl to make him tired and manage pain 1 every 6 hours “. I felt that I had no choice but to leave the 🏥. Went to a store bought the Benadryl then went to another store and bought soft treats , simply nourish beef recipe pate can, a small can of authority digestive support pumpkin purée to possibly mix a couple teaspoons Once I got back home I took the benadryl snapped the tablet in half and he ate it as I hide it inside his soft treats that was @ 2:49pm that I gave him that tablet and he did eat some of the simply nourish pate too. It’s now 8:40pm and I am going to call the emergency hospital now to ask the current wait time hoping it’ll be alright to get in asap

·
Premium Member
23,624 Posts
Yikes that sounds just awful. I don't blame you for leaving, but do still hope you will be able to get his dental issues attended to asap. He is very cutte and if he really is in pain he should get attention as soon as is possible.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
OMG.
I had to take my dog to the emergency vet recently on a Friday night. As I was reading your post I was thinking, yes thats what we had to do....until you mentioned the 10 hour wait. They certainly should have prepared you ahead of time to come in just before your dog would be seen. That’s awful.

I see the plan with benedryl is to make the dog sleepy but doesn’t treat the real problem. I’m so sorry for you and your adorable puppy.

I would call your vet first thing tomorrow morning when they open for emergency help. My vet would sqeeze a pet appointment in under these circumstances. I hope yours does too, or maybe you can find a new vet?

Reactions: Dogs4Life

·
Premium Member
23,624 Posts
Any updates? I was just thinking more about the benadryl recommendation too. First I don't fine benadryl makes any of my dogs drowsy and it definitely doesn't make me drowsy. I have paradoxical reaction to many things that have sedating effects on most people and I am resistant to some anaesthesias too. I actually have to tell Drs. about those responses otherwise I could wake up in the middle of major surgery just as I did when I had my wisdom teeth extracted and woke up from sodium pentathol in the middle of the work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weight: 8.68 kg. Temperature: 100.7 Pulse: 96
Panting: Yes
Signalment: 12 yr MC mini poodle
SUBJECTIVE
-------------------------
Reason for Visit: whimpering + dental issues
Patient: Species: Breed:
Color: Doctor:
Mr.Pibbs
Canine
Poodle, miniature
tan
History: Rescue from kill shelter. Has had bad dental issues. A couple months ago booked appointment for January for dental. Past 2 days, whimpering and seems painful in mouth. Eyes seem to be glossing over. Never had any dental work done before. Eating well, no vomiting/diarrhea. Sometimes strains to defecate.
No other medical issues
Current Meds: 25 mg benadryl yesterday Vax: UTD
Diet: wet food
Preventatives: advantix
OBJECTIVE ---------------------- MMCRT: pink, CRT <2 Hydration: good
Body Condition Score (BCS): 5/9
General Appearance: BAR, anxious
EYES: tear staining bilaterally
EARS: clean AU, no discharge
Cardiovascular: No murmur or arrhythmia, strong synchronous pulses Respiratory: Clear bronchovesicular sounds, normal RR/RE, no crackles/wheezes Oral Cavity: severe dental calculus, halitosis, gingivitis
GI: soft and nonpainful on palpation, no organomegaly palpated
Rectal: Very full anal glands bilaterally, moderately difficult to express, pasty brown discharge Genitourinary: no discharge
Integument: verrucous nodule on dorsum
LN: prominent R mandibular LN
Musculoskeletal: Ambulatory x4, no pain on long bone palpation
Neuro: CN WNL, appropriate mentation. No ataxia or paresis.
ASSESSMENT ---------------------------
- severe periodental disease
TREATMENT PLAN ---------------------------------
  • Clindamycin 2 mL PO q12 x 10 days
  • Gabapentin 1.3 mL PO q8-12 x 7 days

CLIENT COMMUNICATION
-----------------------------------------------
SWO: Discussed that he has some pretty bad dental disease and I do think he needs a dental badly, but unfortunately there is no way for me to get him one any sooner than January here. I think he is painful and probably has an infection in his mouth, so I'd like to put him on an antibiotic and pain medication in the mean time. Also expressed his anal glands which were extremely full and full of thick discharge. Possibly the cause of his straining, so hopefully will be more comfortable defecating now.

at home treatment
oral syringe
Gabapentin pain medication ( one bottle with three refills) given every 8-12 hours
and
clinda-guard“ Clindamycin antibiotic medication ( two bottles) given every 12 hours

any advice on how these have helped anyone else

Attached patients emergency trip to MSPCA Angell 11/16/2020 notes information recent on Mr. PiBBs poodle has future appt at second chance Springfld on January 4th upcoming appointment
Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
at home treatment
oral syringe
Gabapentin pain medication ( one bottle with three refills) given every 8-12 hours
and
clinda-guard“ Clindamycin antibiotic medication ( two bottles) given every 12 hours

any advice on how these have helped anyone else

Attached patients emergency trip severe periodental disease dental

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The antibiotic will reduce the infection which will hopefully help in reducing his pain. The Gabapentin is frequently prescribed for pain control.

I'd think the vet is intending to have the infection reduced and his pain controlled. The dental procedure, presumably cleaning and possibly even extractions, depending on what's found on xrays or in the procedure will be easier on him if the infection and pain are controlled . Make sure proper anesthesia protocols are followed - most important is pre surgery blood work, an IV access placed in case he needs additional medications immediately, and someone in addition to the vet whose sole function is to monitor him thru the entire procedure and thru recovery. This is nothing to do with age, it's just best practice and gives best outcome when anesthesia is needed.

I know you will, but make sure that dental procedure appointment is kept. Dental disease will affect more of his health if not taken care of as soon as they can.

·
Registered
667 Posts
This appears to be a sensible stop-gap approach to get him through until January. It is too bad the dental cannot be done sooner, but that’s the way it is.

I hope that the antibiotic is helpful. There are some oral infections that are not helped by antibiotics because technically they are “outside the body” and not impacted by antibiotics carried by the bloodstream. An infection between tooth and gum would be an example. If he seems to go downhill return to your vet right away.

I hope your poodle is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
This is appropriate to help your poodle deal with periodontal disease temporarily until he goes in for his dental appointment. Both drugs are commonly prescribed for what your vet told you. My dog was prescribed gabapentin for pain when she was recently examined by the emergency vet.

I’m relieved you were able to get him seen and medication prescribed.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I am glad your pup was able to be seen and has been prescribed the necessary meds. If there are other vets in the area that you trust, you might call around to see if he can get in for a dental sooner at another clinic. Otherwise, ask to be put on a waitlist at your current place; someone might cancel, and then hopefully you can get in sooner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts