Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Schnauzerpoodle and I have decided to go to Poodle Day in Carmel, CA this year and we'd like to extend a special invitation to all members of poodle discussion forums to join us-or to let us know if you will be there! (Moderators: can we make this a sticky for awhile?)

More information is here: Poodle Day Events - Poodle and Labradoodle parade and event. There is a parade, off leash play on the beach, and cocktail parties, all dog friendly! Registration for the event opens March 30th and the cocktail parties on April 1. Since hotels and cocktail parties can fill up, we registered early and encourage others to do the same. Our hotel can be cancelled up to 7 days in advance and the PoodleDay events up to September 17th. So no reason NOT to book if you are interested in joining us for the fun!

If you are interested in going let us know here or in private message. It would be fun to get enough people together to go as an affinity group with matching shirts or hats. Even if we don't do that, it'd just be fun to meet people we talk to on the forum at a specific time or place.

For those who don't know about it, Poodle Day is a fund raiser for NorCal (northern California) Poodle Rescue. Carmel is one of the world's most dog friendly cities, with several lovely Bed and Breakfasts who allow dogs, a great off leash dog beach, and all kinds of dog friendly restaurants! October 1 in Carmel is spectacular with warm sunny days and no rain. Carmel's ~3 hours south of San Francisco Airport, or ~2.5 hours south of San Jose International Airport.

We'd love to see you there! :party2:

--FozziesMom and Schnauzerpoodle

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I really, really, REALLY wish I could join you guys, but My husband and I won't be back from our anniversary trip until Oct. 3! Maybe next year for us!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry we'll miss you PaddleAddict, we would have loved to meet you, but we can start thinking about 2012 too! :D And it sounds like an anniversary trip is going to be fun!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Schnauzerpoodle and I have decided to go to Poodle Day in Carmel, CA this year and we'd like to extend a special invitation to all members of poodle discussion forums to join us-or to let us know if you will be there! (Moderators: can we make this a sticky for awhile?)

More information is here: Poodle Day Events - Poodle and Labradoodle parade and event. There is a parade, off leash play on the beach, and cocktail parties, all dog friendly! Registration for the event opens March 30th and the cocktail parties on April 1. Since hotels and cocktail parties can fill up, we registered early and encourage others to do the same. Our hotel can be cancelled up to 7 days in advance and the PoodleDay events up to September 17th. So no reason NOT to book if you are interested in joining us for the fun!

If you are interested in going let us know here or in private message. It would be fun to get enough people together to go as an affinity group with matching shirts or hats. Even if we don't do that, it'd just be fun to meet people we talk to on the forum at a specific time or place.

For those who don't know about it, Poodle Day is a fund raiser for NorCal (northern California) Poodle Rescue. Carmel is one of the world's most dog friendly cities, with several lovely Bed and Breakfasts who allow dogs, a great off leash dog beach, and all kinds of dog friendly restaurants! October 1 in Carmel is spectacular with warm sunny days and no rain. Carmel's ~3 hours south of San Francisco Airport, or ~2.5 hours south of San Jose International Airport.

We'd love to see you there! :party2:

--FozziesMom and Schnauzerpoodle
I would seriously consider it. It looks like so much fun!
I put out a question about air travel and didn't see any answers.
What do you know about Standards (big dogs) and air travel.
What airlines are best? What is it like to fly your dog in cargo?
I'd love to hear from some pros who may have done it (to show).

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Icristi, sorry I have no recent experience flying a dog in cargo. My late schnauzer flew with me from AZ back to Hong Kong (22 hrs, changed plane at Taiwan) 10 years ago and he was in the cargo. He did fine. He didn't mess up the crate. He was all energetic when he saw me at the airport and produced the strongest stream of pee right at the parking lot.

The regulations must have changed quite a bit since then so I guess you might want to wait for other forum members to chime in. I guess those who show their spoos might know better.

Otherwise, it would be great if you could join us at the Poodle Day event.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PoodlePowerPC, and all,

As we get closer we'll get an email list together so we can coordinate. Awesome news!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
For those that are interested, I did some research and learned that most of the decent, dog-friendly hotels/B&B in Carmel and Monterey have a 2-night (some even 3) policy. Some require you to stay Thursday+Friday or Saturday+Sunday or Friday+Saturday+Sunday.

The Poodle Day parade begins at 9am on Oct 1 (Saturday) but finding a hotel room for Friday ONLY can be difficult because of the above mentioned weekend policy. I have found several B&Bs that do not have such policy. PM me if you want the names of these lodging options.

·
Registered
861 Posts
There's a POODLE DAY!?

That's only an hour and a half from me....but I first have to wrap my head around Bella being able to be surrounded by poodles and not turning into a yappy mess.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Should be fun! We wouldn't be doing any cocktail hours though, probably just watch the parade and enjoy all the poodly-goodness. Do you think there would still be a place/time convenient to meet up with everyone outside of a cocktail hour?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking about the same idea myself Bella's Momma. The cocktail parties, by the way don't have to be about drinking. Carmel's got some lovely restaurants that take dogs. the parties are a benefit for nor cal rescue and you can get soda, etc. as well. Maybe a post cocktail party meet up or early Sunday morning play date on the beach, or a specific meet up at the beach on Saturday?

·
Registered
861 Posts
It's not so much the alcohol, it's that I will have a 6 and 9 yo with me and 'cocktail' parties do not tend to lend themselves to family dining. :)

ETA: And I cannot IMAGINE taking Bella inside of a restaurant. Someday my goal is to have her sit at our feet at an outdoor establishment. LOL.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not so much the alcohol, it's that I will have a 6 and 9 yo with me and 'cocktail' parties do not tend to lend themselves to family dining. :)

ETA: And I cannot IMAGINE taking Bella inside of a restaurant. Someday my goal is to have her sit at our feet at an outdoor establishment. LOL.
I could be wrong but I suspect you will not be alone with having kids or dogs--one of the places (The Grove) is an outdoor area--the dogs can't be inside at all anyway. So you would be safe there.

I definitely don't want to make you do anything you're uncomfortable with--my only goal is to reassure you. :D That said, I think if we get a good critical mass it'd be fun to arrange an extra event, maybe beach on Sunday morning.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I will only be there on Saturday, since we are just 1 1/2 hour away, we won't be staying the night. So perhaps we can just find a quick meet-up spot at some point on Saturday to say hello before people head off to their respective post-parade activities.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will only be there on Saturday, since we are just 1 1/2 hour away, we won't be staying the night. So perhaps we can just find a quick meet-up spot at some point on Saturday to say hello before people head off to their respective post-parade activities.
Great point, never thought of that!

I'm thinking on the beach at a particular spot and time and/or maybe even at the starbucks near where the parade starts---does anyone who knows the area really well have a suggestion for a spot?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I live here so I can do hoofwork. Just let me know what you want to know.

When I'm out and about tomorrow I'll snap some pix of the Barnyard area if I get a chance. The place mentioned on the web site, Carmel Valley Coffee Roasting Company, is a nice spot. Surrounding it are: bagel shop, chocalatier, bunch of restaurants with outdoor dog friendly seating including Swiss and Bahamian, pizza parlors both traditional and Cali-fancy, English pub, and there is a very good breakfast/brunch place.

About 30 seconds away is Raw Connections where you can grab some foods and such for your friends. The Raw Connection

I've never had to find lodgings here obviously but I would imagine it would be a whole heckuva lot cheaper to stay in Seaside or Marina and do the 5-10 minute drive down highway 1 than find a place in Carmel. Most of the dog friendly places are little spots in Carmel though.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts