Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's mine: I didn't especially like standard poodles until I got one of my own.

Isn't that terrible??

But I can admit it now because there's no going back. This dinosaur-headed hovercraft of a creature has absolutely stolen my heart. I'd have ten of them if we had the room.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I totally get you. I did like standard poodles, but I was not really impressed with the smaller varieties. I think because I hadn't really been around well bred and well maintained ones. The average toy or mini poodle I saw had matted or greasy fur, was due for a groom, and had very runny eyes that appeared rarely cleaned. But eventually logic won out and I went with a mini. Which I'm glad of because I don't have space for a standard currently and we would have driven each other insane.

·
Super Moderator
623 Posts
I gave Snarky and Pogo mohawks and skull-n-bone collars when they were teenagers. It wasn't a good look. They were all gangly and ribby anyway, since they had just gone through a growth spurt. The two inches of fuzz down their backs just made them look even skinnier, like their spine bones were sticking up.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I gave Snarky and Pogo mohawks and skull-n-bone collars when they were teenagers. It wasn't a good look. They were all gangly and ribby anyway, since they had just gone through a growth spurt. The two inches of fuzz down their backs just made them look even skinnier, like their spine bones were sticking up.
I think I need a picture of that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My confession is that if I had had a standard poodle as a child, I never would have had human children.
(and I have wonderful children and grandchildren- but a poodle would have fulfilled that long before they came about,)

Who knew that these amazing creatures could be so all consuming and delightful?

Noodle cracks me up every single day, she schemes for ways to make me laugh.
She shreds across my wool carpet, scratches my 100 year old wood floors with her scampering, leaps up and down my bed-
unmaking it about 10 times a day, and she growls like a wookie - it is such an unearthly sound,
it creates mirth in our home. But if we object to her capers, she cooperates readily and sits quietly by until she comes up with
some new less-objectionable plot.

She also keeps herself so impeccably clean that she can lounge on my white linen chesterfield sofa without leaving a mark.
(or an odor, or a hair...)

Joyful, Crafty, Gorgeous, Perceptive, and so intensely affectionate.
She exceeds my every expectation and is also just slightly quirky, which I like.

She was the 12th puppy that I raised for my home and I was truly convinced that she was a psychopath
during her first year, she was a crazy-eyed terror with teeth- but as she matured she became the greatest luxury
of my life.

When I first got a poodle, I used to cringe inwardly when other poodle owners would say "She/he is my everything,"
I would think to myself- "Oh please, just let them just be your dog," but now I understand, completely.
I have become a cringe worthy- one of "them". Ah well...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I totally get you. I did like standard poodles, but I was not really impressed with the smaller varieties. I think because I hadn't really been around well bred and well maintained ones. The average toy or mini poodle I saw had matted or greasy fur, was due for a groom, and had very runny eyes that appeared rarely cleaned. But eventually logic won out and I went with a mini. Which I'm glad of because I don't have space for a standard currently and we would have driven each other insane.
So funny because I absolutely wanted a mini! But logic won for me, too. We wanted a dog that provided zero temptation for our many resident eagles, especially when on wide open beaches.

·
Registered
572 Posts
So funny because I absolutely wanted a mini! But logic won for me, too. We wanted a dog that provided zero temptation for our many resident eagles, especially when on wide open beaches.
Yes that's a good point. I once saw a hawk in my hometown neighborhood carrying a cat. On the other hand, now that I live in south Florida, the main worry is alligators and crocodiles. I'm not sure how big a dog has to be to be safe from them lol. We don't have many big hawks here thankfully. Though I'm not sure if they'd really go after a 15 lb dog. My mom has a mynah bird and multiple times she's had owls crash into her window trying to attack him at night. Which is weird because he's in a cage behind the window. He has appointed himself chief hawk watcher and now screams with an ear splitting shriek when he spies any bird of prey in her backyard. Which does get very irritating when I visit because I have very sensitive ears and can't take the notes he employs.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
LOL Now that must have been a look.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I had no idea that there was a real difference between minis and toys until I got Miracle. At a healthy weight, she is definitely sturdier than my Jasper. She runs around and jumps on and off things like she is invincible!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I stumbled upon my love for poodles by accident. When wanting a puppy every one I thought was cute was mixed with a poodle.
I decided to research poodles and the moment I saw that shaved face... I was hooked. No other dog could enter my field of vision 😭. It was a poodle or nothing.
Through my new found love affair I googled everything about poodles which led to me discovering colours, health testing, choosing a breeder etc.
I gained a wealth of knowledge before we actually picked a breeder and a puppy and I don’t regret a second of it. Now I have two rambunctious mini puppies and every day is a dream with them, even when they’re being crazy. My heart is full.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts