Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's fair to say that poodles are very creative communicators. And persistent, too! Understandable, really, since us humans can be mighty dense.

We were having a lazy morning here today. Okay, I was having a lazy morning while Peggy was getting increasingly restless, playing with every toy she owns, watching the birds out the windows, gazing longingly at the backyard.

Then she did something she has never done before: She scratched at the sliding screen door!

Um, no ma'am. That is rude.

I closed the curtains, sat back down, and suddenly I had a poodle sitting right in front of me: Perfect posture. Nice, straight back. Square and neat. What a pretty sit! She stared deep into my eyes....

And let out a lonnnng, low fart.

Suddenly I knew why she was pawing at that door. Lol. I quickly let her out and she got straight down to business.

Has your poodle ever surprised you with a crystal clear message?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think it's fair to say that poodles are very creative communicators. And persistent, too! Understandable, really, since us humans can be mighty dense.

We were having a lazy morning here today. Okay, I was having a lazy morning while Peggy was getting increasingly restless, playing with every toy she owns, watching the birds out the windows, gazing longingly at the backyard.

Then she did something she has never done before: She scratched at the sliding screen door!

Um, no ma'am. That is rude.

I closed the curtains, sat back down, and suddenly I had a poodle sitting right in front of me: Perfect posture. Nice, straight back. Square and neat. What a pretty sit! She stared deep into my eyes....

Suddenly I knew why she was pawing at that door. Lol. I quickly let her out and she got straight down to business.

Has your poodle ever surprised you with a crystal clear message?
Oh man Peggy would not approve of your story telling. Misha recently started barking in the middle of the night, which he never does. I knew it was not normal so I let him outside. Good thing because he had diarrhea. Pork bully sticks do something funny to his tummy.

While working from home I sometimes enjoy a late afternoon nap, especially if it's raining. Misha is good about snuggling up with me and falling asleep as well... until 6 pm comes around. Then he will paw at the blankets until he unearths my hand and sticks his nose in it and mouths it. If I still refuse to get up he will sit next to the couch with his chin resting on the cushion and let out a very small sad whine. He will not leave me alone until I get up. 6 is walk time.

·
Registered
648 Posts
XD I think my JRT and Peggy would really get along. They’re both so sassy! 😂

Fluffy is particularly clear about his Food. If we forget, he slaps everyone in the room with a tiny poodle paw, and now he’s taken to coughing (he figured out after puking one time that it will get him attention fast) if I’m around in particular.

The other day, I tried to take him out back (where I give them baths in the summer) because it was raining really hard, and he yanked the leash back out of my hand and tried to run back upstairs! I got quite the glare when I caught him 😂. “No, mom, I am not going to sit through that today! Please and thank you!”

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
When Jasper needs to go outside, he will sit way across the room and stare at you. If that doesn't work, he will inch closer and sit. Finally he will incorporated a whine. He also will sit in front of the couch and whine when he wants up, but if I try to pick him up, he will run. That's how he tells us it's time to go out.

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
Poppy groans. First she gets up, or off the bed. Then she stares. And if that doesn't work she groans, with a soft, persistent grunting noise that penetrates sleep and dreams and forces me awake.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Not a poodle, but we had an Aussie Terrier that I used to feed when I came home from my 12-1 Yoga class.

One day we Yogis all went out to lunch and when I came home at 3, Fred Dog was thrilled to see me. He jumped up and down and I felt greatly loved.

After about 5 minutes of nonstop jumping, I realized that while I felt loved, he felt hungry.

Humans can be so slow.

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fluffy is particularly clear about his Food. If we forget, he slaps everyone in the room with a tiny poodle paw, and now he’s taken to coughing (he figured out after puking one time that it will get him attention fast) if I’m around in particular.
This whole paragraph had me laughing. Thank you for that. :) What a character he is.

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Poppy groans. First she gets up, or off the bed. Then she stares. And if that doesn't work she groans, with a soft, persistent grunting noise that penetrates sleep and dreams and forces me awake.
I have resorted to similar methods myself when things aren't going quite as I'd like.

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
I am on the receiving end of poodle, papillon and cat communication at the moment. Poppy has blood tests this morning tha require her to be starved. It seems mean to feed the rest and not her, so everyone will get a late breakfast when we get back from the vet's. This is NOT going down well with a pack of hungry animals, who are using eyes, voice, paws, bounces, ears, tails and everything else to tell me I have forgotten this essential part of the morning routine!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I am on the receiving end of poodle, papillon and cat communication at the moment. Poppy has blood tests this morning tha require her to be starved. It seems mean to feed the rest and not her, so everyone will get a late breakfast when we get back from the vet's. This is NOT going down well with a pack of hungry animals, who are using eyes, voice, paws, bounces, ears, tails and everything else to tell me I have forgotten this essential part of the morning routine!
We've resorted to overnight boarding to avoid playing the villain.

We just got back from our morning walk, and Normie would like to post that humans are very bad at recognizing treasure when it's right there in front of their useless noses. Poor dog does everything in his power to signal "Treasure! Bring it Home!" and is ordered by an undiscriminating human to "Leave It."

I think that he's begun to wonder why he even brings me along.

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
Poppy and Sophy are in absolute agreement with Normie. Delicious cow poo and rabbit berries, lovely smelly places to roll, really special sticks - humans have no appreciation of the wonders dogs try to show them!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti
1 - 15 of 15 Posts