Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

We have a 7 month old poodle who we were told is brown brindle. I have e-mailed the breeder and asked her, and I am waiting to hear back but I thought I would ask you all your thoughts as well. He has the brindle pattern, but his face was black when he was a puppy, and it is now turning grey. The breeder told me when we were chatting about his bloodlines that his parents carried red, red and white parti, cream, and white. His mom was a red and white parti and his dad was brown brindle just like him, but his face is not grey at all! Everywhere else on his body he has the brindle pattern and it is brown/black/beige (but has been getting lighter). When he was about 4 months old I shaved his face into a clean face and I was so surprised it was grey! I also noticed he didn't have the brindle pattern on his snout like he did at the base of his tail and his paws where I has also shaved clean. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what colour you think he will settle? He is continuing to lighten as he gets older. Do you think he will have a solid grey face with a brindle body? If so, do you think the brown will eventually fade into grey as well? I will attach some pictures. The last picture is his dad. Any information would be so appreciated!

thanks! Looking forward to reading your replies!

Melissa

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
I don’t think he is brown based because browns have brown b/b making them have brown noses. His looks black.

At some point the brindle pattern does fade making it hard to see. He could be blue brindle or silver brindle.

I would join this group and ask the question there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1419203381667960/

·
Registered
351 Posts
I agree with Mel, and in fact his dad looks black based brindle as well. Genetically speaking the brindle stripes are shades of fawn, possibilities from cream to mahogany, and heavy brindling can look nearly brown. I have a hard time keeping straight how the fading genes work in poodles, but my understanding is that if the face is light when shaved as a pup, they are likely to have more fading, so in your case to silver. And blues tend to fade later?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts