Poodle Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is our first mini poodle. I thought she was black and the breeders said she’s silver. I looked at them like they were crazy lol. Well she was 2 months old and I moved her hair and all underneath was silver. Her face is still black and now more light hairs coming on the legs and feet. I’m going to post pics. What color is she? She’s 13 weeks now.
Silver. Her skin may be blue

·
Registered
383 Posts
My guess as to your dogs color would be sable or perhaps brindle. The brindle stripes on a long haired dog can only be clearly seen if completely shaved down.

I have a poodle mix who has somewhat mottled coloring, though usually in pictures he looks cream. He is a light sable with some white on his neck and tail, and a saddle area that has an apricot cast. He came to me at 5 years old so I don't have puppy pictures, but he has become slightly lighter colored in the years he has been with me. He looks best in a donut mustache due to an underbite. It may be hard to see in this picture, but his face is shaved except for the area at the end of his snout. This defines his eyes/expression and allows me to keep his eyes clean. The mustache does need regular combing and cleaning- so it's a "fussy" trim. In this photo his mustache is on the longer side. I've started experimenting with a Japanese poodle style of a sideways oval with a smaller circumference- and that's pretty cute.

I prefer a shaved face on my purebred black puppy for cleanliness, training for lifetime grooming skills, and so I can see her expression. In this photo Violet is due for a touch up on her shaved face, but it's a good example of what a shaved face looks like about 3-4 weeks after a shave.

Beyond cleanliness and grooming training, coat style preferences are just that- a preference. My husband prefers a fluffy face.

C42A8E17-91B7-4A86-A317-A446ED58B4A7.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Beautiful dogs! I’m starting to understand the shaved face. We have several groomers very near us and I’m going to check them out to see their poodle knowledge lol.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts