Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our first mini poodle. I thought she was black and the breeders said she’s silver. I looked at them like they were crazy lol. Well she was 2 months old and I moved her hair and all underneath was silver. Her face is still black and now more light hairs coming on the legs and feet. I’m going to post pics. What color is she? She’s 13 weeks now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
I am confused because the first picture you show of your female pup states it's a Male, and all of her Brothers are born on different days the last pup's picture is born 6 days after the others and is a mini aussie doodle.
As for color not sure at all.
However It would nice if you would properly introduce yourself and your pup what's her name?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You’re reading the title for the puppy above. Mine is female and it states that below her photo which is cut out. These are all 4 mini poodles 3 males and my 1 female. The other breed was listed below and above the poodles. The color part is my question.
also, I didn’t realize I had to introduce myself. I’ll work on that soon.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Is the color that's coming in truly silver or is it brownish? it looks brown in the photos, which is why we're confused. Silver puppies are born black but the silver starts to come in at the roots. Generally, poodle breeders will shave the faces so you can see the true color. If she was from a reputable breeder I'd trust them, but a breeder that also sells doodles... you can't really be sure of anything.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This is our first mini poodle. I thought she was black and the breeders said she’s silver. I looked at them like they were crazy lol. Well she was 2 months old and I moved her hair and all underneath was silver. Her face is still black and now more light hairs coming on the legs and feet. I’m going to post pics. What color is she? She’s 13 weeks now.
Were you given a pedigree that has the colors of the dogs? That might provide an answer. One caveat: blue dogs are born black, so unless the pedigree has the adult colors on it you might not get the whole story.

Silver shows up on very young puppies as soon as the face is clipped. I don't think your dog is silver.

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
Oh wait. Oops. You already bought her. Sorry for getting confused.

Are you in direct contact with the breeder now? If not, get in touch and ask them. Ask to see photos of adults from any previous litters. And I recommend getting her to a groomer asap so she can get comfortable with the process. You'll be able to see her colour much better once her face is shaved.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Actually, from the photos, I would say that is not a purebred poodle. You can have the DNA tested if you want to be sure.
I was thinking the same thing, the shape of the head, the ears, etc.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Your puppy is adorable but I don’t know what color it is. Congratulations on your new puppy.

Actually, from the photos, I would say that is not a purebred poodle. You can have the DNA tested if you want to be sure.
Johanna is much more knowledge about poodles than most of us. She was an AKC conformation judge for poodles. She also shows her poodles in conformation etc and she recently titled her current minipoo in AKC conformation.

I have a silver minipoo and that is not how she is colored. When born silvers are completely black, the breeder shaves the face as part of preparing puppies for a life time of grooming. When they shave the face, a silver puppy has a silver color there. The silver doesn’t have a brown look to them and doesn come in patchy on their back like your puppy.

I also recommend getting her to a groomer to start the process of grooming. Find someone who will see your puppy for short visits to shave the face, feet and sanitary area on a regular basis. You may prefer a fluffy face, once the dog is older you can grow the hair on the face.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh wait. Oops. You already bought her. Sorry for getting confused.

Are you in direct contact with the breeder now? If not, get in touch and ask them. Ask to see photos of adults from any previous litters. And I recommend getting her to a groomer asap so she can get comfortable with the process. You'll be able to see her colour much better once her face is shaved.
I do want to take her to a groomer but I definitely don’t want her face shaved. I like the fluffy look, not the shaved face look. I always wondered why people did that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know the breeders and the owner of the store. I love poodles and my child has bad allergies so that made me lean towards poodle or shih tzu. I’m not interested in dna testing or anything.. she’s a fam pet. I just wanted to know about colors. I’ve never owned a poodle so I don’t know much about the breed like changing colors down the road and such.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly, I didn’t realize there are people on here showing and judging dogs. I thought just a friendly dog chat lol. I bought a family pet and my kids and I just wanted to know what color she will turn out. Not going to show her, and apparently she’s not purebred from what some of you say. Well it’s ok, I just wanted a nice pet.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Honestly, I didn’t realize there are people on here showing and judging dogs. I thought just a friendly dog chat lol. I bought a family pet and my kids and I just wanted to know what color she will turn out. Not going to show her, and apparently she’s not purebred from what some of you say. Well it’s ok, I just wanted a nice pet.
It is mostly just friendly dog chat, as well as advice on grooming and training! There is a wide variety of experience here, and some people have poodle mixes too.
The point though is that it's very hard to determine your puppy's colour if there is another breed in the mix. There is a pretty limited colors and shadings in poodles, not so on mixes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is mostly just friendly dog chat, as well as advice on grooming and training! There is a wide variety of experience here, and some people have poodle mixes too.
The point though is that it's very hard to determine your puppy's colour if there is another breed in the mix. There is a pretty limited colors and shadings in poodles, not so on mixes.
Yea, see that throws me bc I saw the parents. Maybe I cannot tell by looking at them. But to me they looked purebred and were registered. But I just wanted a sweet little low-non shedding pup. I would be upset if I was lied to though.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Yea, see that throws me bc I saw the parents. Maybe I cannot tell by looking at them. But to me they looked purebred and were registered. But I just wanted a sweet little low-non shedding pup. I would be upset if I was lied to though.
If the parents are AKC registered and you have, or can get the registry number to look up for free on the AKC lookup, that is a start to answering the questions raised here - if they're your questions also.

If the parents are AKC registered and the litter was also registered, the litter registry info may be available. That's another step to determining if your pup is purebred. Registry alone doesn't guarantee that some breeders don't game the system, but if they are, and get reported, their AKC standing should come into question.

The suggestions about getting the pup used to grooming are well intended. Poodle hair will keep growing, will change in texture (adult coat change) and will usually mat terribly if not kept manageable. By training the grooming early, you teach the pup to accept it without freaking out,

Part of the reason for suggesting the DNA testing would be to determine if the pup is pure poodle or if a mix. If the pup is a mix and allergies are a concern, it might be good to know if the mix is primarily hypo-allergenic breeds. Even if purebred, allergies can still be an issue. One of our newer members has just gone thru the allergy dilemma.

If you can live with everything as is, that's wonderful news for your family and the pup! If you paid a breeder price and if you were told something that's not true, only you can decide if you want to live with that.

Stay in touch. We'd love to watch the color change along with you :).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If the parents are AKC registered and you have, or can get the registry number to look up for free on the AKC lookup, that is a start to answering the questions raised here - if they're your questions also.

If the parents are AKC registered and the litter was also registered, the litter registry info may be available. That's another step to determining if your pup is purebred. Registry alone doesn't guarantee that some breeders don't game the system, but if they are, and get reported, their AKC standing should come into question.

The suggestions about getting the pup used to grooming are well intended. Poodle hair will keep growing, will change in texture (adult coat change) and will usually mat terribly if not kept manageable. By training the grooming early, you teach the pup to accept it without freaking out,

Part of the reason for suggesting the DNA testing would be to determine if the pup is pure poodle or if a mix. If the pup is a mix and allergies are a concern, it might be good to know if the mix is primarily hypo-allergenic breeds. Even if purebred, allergies can still be an issue. One of our newer members has just gone thru the allergy dilemma.

If you can live with everything as is, that's wonderful news for your family and the pup! If you paid a breeder price and if you were told something that's not true, only you can decide if you want to live with that.

Stay in touch. We'd love to watch the color change along with you :).
thanks, I will stay in touch.. I’m interested to see how she turns out!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts