Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will ask my questions one by one. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. I want to have a Poodle in the near future. I want to be a good friend with him. Of course I will love him no matter what color he is. But I still want to remove some question marks.

1. I have some knowledge of colors. They may have a fading gene. Does the color of the Poodle that do not carry fading fades also change? If I have a red Poodle, I do not want him to change color.

2. As far as I know, red, apricot, cream and white Poodles carry the same gene. Many white Poodles I see carry little ivory color or black color on their hair.

Is it possible to have a completely white Poodle? A dog with a perfect snow white with all its coat?
I'm not talking about the albino ones. Normal whites.

3.I learned that red color is a rare and new color. There's a story of the first red Poodle on the Internet. How did the first red Poodle appear if there were no red Poodles in the world before?

4. As far as I know, white Poodle are born with pink skin color. Then some have a darker skin color, close to gray and black. (tanning at sun) (relevant the pigment intensity and quality) I read an article a pink-skinned white Poodles are fault. How i know, when a white poodle will get dark skin?

I am very happy if you can spare your time. I'm sorry for my bad english.

:)

--------

Extras

5. I want to cut him like this when I own a Poodle. (1st Dog, Left Red Standart Poodle) What is the name of this cut? What you think about it

6. I'm a little nervous about this, but is this a Poodle? Can Poodle's hair grow how long?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
First of all I have 2 red poodles and they were a deep mahogany, they are now apricot, I adore them, but they were the most beautiful color, so most reds do fade, but beautiful personalities.

Those photos are poodle cuts, but the face is hard to deep clean, and many times people think they are doodles, I prefer a shaved face and feet with topknot, pompoms on feet and tail. And if it is poodle I want it to look like one, none of my 8 have ever been mistaken for anything but poodle. One 2 I keep their bodies short with a 4 or 7 on Sage she had puppies before I got her, and she looks better in a fuller cut at the chest area. Ishave her butt and legs and leave the jacket on her, not really a continental or modified my style, LOL

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agree that the face would be hard to keep clean, any type of stew food will stain the face. The white dog is not a full poodle, the tail is too long. Also the dog looks happy and relaxed but the tail is down. A happy poodle tail is up. The big red dog looks like a labradoodle not a full poodle either. Again the tail is long but it is possible that it is an undocked tail. Both dogs are heavier than a typical poodle but again it is possible that it is a heavier poodle

The white dog's cut might be ok in winter if you live someplace cold. My dog would get very hot after March in that long fur. Yes poodle fur can get very long if it is allowed to grow

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
I am not sure the long tail means not a poodle - many countries now ban docking. And where tails are left natural a lower tail carriage can be preferred, as tails held very high can tend to curl. The red dog's clip looks like a rather overgrown retriever clip; the white dog looks simply overgrown - those hairy feet and face would be the devil to keep clean, and the coat would be hard to keep tangle and mat free.

Poodles fade, but some lines keep their colour better than others. Looking at the parents is probably the best guide, but very few dark red puppies will keep that colour. Poppy was mahogany red as a puppy - she is now a deep ginger colour, and that is much darker than most red or apricot adults.

Reactions: 115669

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure the long tail means not a poodle - many countries now ban docking. And where tails are left natural a lower tail carriage can be preferred, as tails held very high can tend to curl. The red dog's clip looks like a rather overgrown retriever clip; the white dog looks simply overgrown - those hairy feet and face would be the devil to keep clean, and the coat would be hard to keep tangle and mat free.

Poodles fade, but some lines keep their colour better than others. Looking at the parents is probably the best guide, but very few dark red puppies will keep that colour. Poppy was mahogany red as a puppy - she is now a deep ginger colour, and that is much darker than most red or apricot adults.
Thank you. So the first big red dog in the picture is a Poodle, not Labradoodle. If I have a red Poodle, I really do not want him to fade. Is there any way to understand this?
In addition, if you know, can you answer the 2nd and 3rd questions?

:) Thanks

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Colour genetics is a complex subject, and I have not made a study of it, so I will leave answering your questions to those that have. I would not say the red dog is definitely 100% poodle, although his coat would suggest it - many doodles are now mostly poodle and can be hard to distinguish from a photo, especially when the muzzle is fuzzy. But if your question is whether a poodle can be clipped to look like that then yes, it can!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts