Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asked by my Poodle club to build a club web site. I have a pretty good idea about what content I'm going to include, but I'd liked to know if anyone has seen a club web site that really knocked their socks off. It does not have to be a Poodle club; any dog club will do.

Also, I'm curious what people might personally like to see included on a local Poodle Club web site. My thoughts:

Information about the events we sponsor
Club meeting dates
Club officer contacts
Breeder members contact information
Rescue
Colorado Poodles in Action (Poodles doing all things)
Links to important Poodle sites: PCA, Versatility in Poodles, PHR etc

On top of this, I think I'd like to see the following but I'm not sure if I'm reinventing the wheel:

Poodle Standard
Health issues in the breed
Health testing by variety
Grooming Tips (Ask a Groomer column!)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I really like your added ideas! It would also be useful if you included:
How to pick a responsible/quality breeder/puppy. I've seen this information on a few websites and I think its very useful for prospective poodle owners doing their research. A link to Poodle - Dog Breeds - Dog.com might be useful too. They have a video/visual aid version of the poodle standard that is very helpful in explaining some of the terminology and illustrating a conformationally sound dog.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
like your list. Breeders- it's tough- many club sites only have breeders listed if they pay- so many are misse.d BUt then you also don't want to list 'bad' breeders too yah know?

Definatly the poodle standard, health issues and testing and grooming tips would Rock!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
The PCC web site has a section called The Whelping Box where members can advertise litters they have currentlly available. I would restrict to X number per year per member, because there are some high volume breeders who have litters on there al the time, which I don't think is fair. But I like the idea.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes, I also like to see "whelping box" section .

Also - if any "fun events " are organized , I like to see announcements as well as show dates and locations and performance events schedule and recent photos and the results from all of the above :):):)

Best of luck with making a "smashing" site Cbrand ; )))) !!!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very hesitant about doing a "Whelping Box" link. One, because it just means more maintenance for me. And two, I would like for buyers to spread themselves out just a bit and talk to a number of breeders.

We will only list member breeders, but we have at least 1 member who does more breeding than others. :flute:. I know buyers can be impulsive so I would like to encourage them to explore all of their local options rather than allowing them to beeline in on the puppies on the ground.

I guess the fallacy of this is that buyers will automatically zero in on any breeder who has a web site, but I can't do much about folks who haven't yet figured out the importance of an Internet presence.

Thoughts? Am I over thinking this?

Edited to add.......

Our club sponsors a big Specialty w/Obedience, a huge all breed Agility Trial and an all breed Tracking Test. We are very proud of these events and they will be the things most prominently featured on our site.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I guess the fallacy of this is that buyers will automatically zero in on any breeder who has a web site, but I can't do much about folks who haven't yet figured out the importance of an Internet presence.

Yes - that is why I think it is important to announce the litter , so everybody have a fair chance. Maybe a short info about a breeder who has a litter can be included, so once who do health testing can openly boast about it ; )

Buyers "as buyers" would do what they please , anyway :rolffleyes: IMO. Impulsive ones will do impulsive things and educated do "educated" thing.I do not think there is ever anything that can be "overthoight" LOL, I am also as "complicated" as that LOL

PS: This site is pretty strait-forward http://www.ncbcf.net/, missing general info about the breed though and such . I though you would like to see "working dog" site since your passion is in that area

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
When I was doing my research, I was disappointed at our local PCA web page. No content to speak of really and out of date info. I think your web page will be a lot more informative.

I was looking for breeder information and groomers like you have listed. I was also looking for some links or referrals to local obedience clubs. It sounds like your PCA is a lot more fun and willing to be an ambassador for the breed.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think you did a great job. I like the idea of listing member vs litter announcements. IMO people should pick their breeder first, not their puppy. Announcing litter could lead to impulse buys and just b/c someone belongs to a club doesn't mean the buyer still shouldn't check them out.

The only thing I would add is a link to a local obedience club(s), unless you club provides obedience classes.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
web site

I like all the suggestions.

When I was researching allergy-friendly breeds, one of the things I found most useful in the breed sites was a no-holds-barred "this is what you need to be aware of" assessment of what might be considered the breed's faults. With any breed, you need to be able to assess what you can live with and what you can't, and it is very helpful to have that sort of info laid out.

One other thing that drive me nuts is a "news" or "recent" page on a web site that is way out of date. I recently found a great agility site for a club that looked to be not too far from me, only to find that the most recent info on the site was from 2003!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Pictures...of poodles doing what poodles can do!
How about a photo album of various member's dogs competing, playing, working..... It's always nice to see poodles doing more than just conformation. And your members would be tickled pink to see their dogs on the website!
Good luck!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts