Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I brought home my first ever standard poodle (and first ever dog that wasn't a rescue) on Friday. He's perfect. I'm so enamored with him it's ridiculous.

I can't wait to start puppy school and obedience training, though to be perfectly honest he is already an exceptionally well-behaved puppy. The breeder did such a good job preparing him! I'm so excited to have him as my new sidekick, I plan on doing a lot of activities with this dog.

Anyway, he's an apricot, and I was doing some reading that a lot of poodles change color when they get their adult coats. I was hoping to get an idea of what his adult coat might look like, just out of curiosity.

I would love to see photos of other people's apricot poodles in puppy coat and then in adult coat. Honestly, even if your poodle isn't an apricot, I would love to see pictures because I just think it's super cool that their colors can change.

Picture of Benny because I'm a shameless doting dogmom LOL
Dog Carnivore Water dog Dog breed Flooring

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
My Beatrice 7 months
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

My Beatrice 7 years
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Ear

My Pia at 20 weeks
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Dog supply Dog crate

My Pia at nearly 7 years
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
I have an apricot minipoo. My breeder told me he should retain his color. I saw his mother and grandmother and they were the same shade. I had a apricot tpoo many years ago who kept her color too.

I have a silver minipoo who clearly had a major color shift from inky black as a newborn to silver as an adult. When the Breeder shaved her face the first time as a very tiny puppy, her face was silver but it took a year for the rest of her body to catch up with her face.

What did your breeder tell you to expect?

Here is my apricot minipoo puppy Theo when he first came home at 10 weeks
Glasses Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Here is Theo at 8 months. Same apricot. He’s now 8 months and the same color.

Wood Plant Grass Fur Soil

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow it looks like these color changes can be really drastic! Thank you to everyone who shared and I'm super excited to see if more people post pictures of their furbabies :) I'm not going to lie, I would love if my boy stayed just dark enough so that his little white patch on his chest was still visible...but as my father used to say, a good dog is never a bad color, so I'm super excited to see his adult coat whether he changes color or not :)
I have an apricot minipoo. My breeder told me he should retain his color. I saw his mother and grandmother and they were the same shade. I had a apricot tpoo many years ago who kept her color too.

I have a silver minipoo who clearly had a major color shift from inky black as a newborn to silver as an adult. When the Breeder shaved her face the first time as a very tiny puppy, her face was silver but it took a year for the rest of her body to catch up with her face.

What did your breeder tell you to expect?

Here is my apricot minipoo puppy Theo when he first came home at 10 weeks
View attachment 481376

Here is Theo at 8 months. Same apricot. He’s now 8 months and the same color.

View attachment 481378
Omg your dog is gorgeous!

This might sound bad but the breeder and I didn't discuss color expectations. I was more concerned about genetic testing and temperament (avoiding lines that have a tendency to neurotic behavior).

I do know that his sire is a gorgeous apricot of the same shade (Benny is a mini of his dad right down to the white patch) and his dam is white. Most of his siblings were a light cream, there were a few other apricots though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cooper looks like he wants to join the Cwn Annwn with those red ears.
I'm not going to lie, I had to Google that one 😂😂. Totally agree with you though. He has the same colour from the back of his top knot to his tail. He looks so different from the front to the back lol. Someone thought his groomer had dyed his hair 🤭🤭.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here’s Whiskey at 17 weeks:
Glasses Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog

1 week shy of 1 year:
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog Collar

Originally we were told he is a light apricot. Doesn’t show up well on the pictures but he’s lightened quite a bit. The fur nearer his skin is almost an ivory colour now. And I have also not seen the orange guard hairs that I expected in an apricot. His is brown.
Maybe he’s dark cream?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Rusty was sable as a puppy and is now at almost 7 months a pale orange.

His snout is cream so he may well clear to cream.

Vertebrate Water dog Fawn Carnivore Felidae
Dog Water dog Carnivore Toy Dog breed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts