Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its going to be a wicked tick season up north! Brodie takes a monthly Simparica Trio pill which will kill ticks if they bite him, but even though we check him, we are finding he brings ticks in the house.
Any suggestions? Do I have to keep his hair very short? My vet said he could wear a Seresto collar in addition to Simparica oral med during this tick season.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,577 Posts
I definitely wouldn't use two tick doses simultaneously. I use Bravecto too. When I know we're going into tick zones I lightly apply Wondercide repellent. It seems to help. I actually have excluded some places we've been because there are so many ticks. It takes hours to go through his coat. Last groom I asked for a short cut and got a #7 on the body, #5 on legs. It definitely makes inspections easier, and he's cooler too.

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
Something to know about the 3 month version of Bravecto - I use the chewable for my boys - is that there's one tick that is covered for only 8 weeks, so if that matters in your area you might consider the 1 month version. I think that Lyme is carried by the black-legged tick, so it might not be an issue.

Bravecto covers 12 weeks for fleas and all but one of the ticks.

Dog Protection
BRAVECTO CHEW AND TOPICAL SOLUTION FOR DOGS

FLEA SPECIES

Cat FleaCtenocephalides felis
12 WEEKS
TICK SPECIES

Black-Legged Tick (deer tick) – Ixodes scapularis
12 WEEKS

American Dog TickDermacentor variabilis
12 WEEKS

Brown Dog TickRhipicephalus sanguineus
12 WEEKS

Lone Star TickAmblyomma americanum
8 WEEKS

·
Super Moderator
4,868 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. The ticks just hitch a ride and then fall off somewhere in the house. The last three I found were crawling in the hair on Galen's neck, crawling around a blanket on my bed, and just chilling on the bathroom wall. Last year I found one embedded in the cat, and he doesn't even go outside. Nexgard seems to stop ticks from embedding, but it doesn't stop them from coming inside. No solutions here, just sympathy.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This is one of the reasons we just clipped Oona short for the summer. After visiting my in-laws for easter, she brought home a tick that I found crawling on me after sleeping with her, and I pulled one engorged tick off her ear. It was still fairly cold here so the vets hadn't called in her bravecto yet, but the ticks are worse in the area we had been visiting. I got her prescription after finding the ticks, but her coat was way too thick and long to go through thoroughly. At least now that it's short I have a hope of finding the ride-alongs.

·
Super Moderator
4,868 Posts
In my experience ticks are the worst in spring and fall. They wake up ravenous as soon as daytime temperatures get above freezing. I don't have as much trouble with them once temperatures get up into the 80s for some reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts