Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find standard poodle breeders. I’m planning on buying a puppy, but I want a puppy that has been bred from well tempered and healthy parents. Feel free to share the info of any great breeders or point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum.

There are a lot of great breeders, and it will help if you provide more info to narrow it down. Here are some things that will help.

- where you are & how far you would travel
- color & size preferences if any
- what you want to do with the dog (companion, sports, therapy, conformation)
- any other specific things that are important to you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

I am located in Memphis, Tn. Preferably, I would travel up to 5-6 hours. I am looking for a black standard poodle. I want the dog as a companion, but I’d love for him to be a therapy dog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’d love for him to have a nice conformation as well.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Betty Brown, Donnchada poodles, lives northwest of Houston if that is not too far.

You should also contact Nancy Hafner: Nancy Hafner | 1100 S Hook St Tuscumbia, AL 35674-4406 | (256) 381-5744 | [email protected]. Nancy is the regional contact person for breeders and rescue.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My dog's breeder (he is a mini but she also breeds standards) is expecting a litter soon of black and possibly white standards. She is outside of Baton Rouge and was a pleasure to deal with. Her kennel name is Jalyn Poodles. She is a small hobby breeder and a groomer who is mentored by larger more established breeders. Her dogs are born in the house - raised under foot with children and she does extensive health testing. Don't know if the whole litter is already called for but I can recommend her highly.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I should have added a bit more about Mount Bethel. I would strongly recommend them.

I have a friend who has a Mount Bethel poodle (bred in NJ by Darcy's sister). They love him to pieces. He has a great temperament and fits into an active family without being hyper.

One thing that I like about Mt Bethel is that Darcy (the breeder) works with her two sisters so that between the 3 of them, they have a fair number of breeding dogs, but not too many for any one house. My impression is that each momma dog is well loved in their own home and well supported through the whole process of breeding, whelping and raising the puppies.

The dogs are health tested and shown, of course. I ran into Darcy at some AKC shows when my boy Sam was being shown and liked her.

I'm thinking that this might be the perfect choice for you. I would definitely recommend going to meet Darcy and her dogs. You should be able to get a good feel for her and her dogs and how they are raised.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a puppy from Mount Bethel and I LOVE him. After extensive research I traveled all the way from Texas to pick him up last fall. He is from Mount Bethel's "Bear" as sire and a friend of Darcy's in PA had the dam. I spoke with Darcy several times and thought very highly of her. I also really liked her website that had so much information. She kept one of my boy's sisters to show. You can see my guy under 52 weeks of Aero here.

And now having Arreau and peppersb say that they think highly of her makes me feel really good. For me there is no higher recommendation!

Good Luck in your search!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts