Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fozzie has a new habit, ah the joys of puppydom...

he's started sniffing, sniffing sniffing, everywhere. He's like a bloodhound. I notice it more when he's in need of exercise.

Is this a typical Poodle Behavior? And if so, can folks suggest some games to help direct, engage, and manage this behavior?

thanks!

·
Registered
997 Posts
he's started sniffing, sniffing sniffing, everywhere. He's like a bloodhound. I notice it more when he's in need of exercise.

Is this a typical Poodle Behavior? And if so, can folks suggest some games to help direct, engage, and manage this behavior?
Yes yes yes!!! Tracking is a wonderful game for puppies! Some poodles like to use their noses and excel at tracking and some don't. But if they do, it is terrific to do with puppies because it is low impact, on-lead, and the puppy gets to be in charge (and is *encouraged* to pull on the lead).

Once you get more advanced, you need time and space (i.e., big green fields). But when you're just getting started, you can lay quick short tracks.

I like and used a book by Carolyn Krause called Try Tracking: A Puppy Tracking Primer. There is also an incredibly friendly and helpful poodle tracking list on Yahoo.

Quick question: Do you have foxtails in Northern California? Most So Cal trackers take the summer off until foxtail season is behind them.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Nickel is sniffing more recently too. And yes, there are a lot of foxtails here in San Francisco. I have read scary stories regarding the foxtails and I'm always cautious when we are around them. But I see that there are plenty of dog owners who don't seem to be bothered and allow their dogs to run/chase/play/sniff around those plants.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yes, foxtails are absolutely an issue in summer here on NorCal. I am new to owning a dog in Cali, but I am told it is not as bad in winter when the foxtails are soft and green as it is in summer when they are dry and hard.

Fozzie's sniffing is limited to grassy fields and our living room. I'm really cautious of foxtails and won't let him near them.

(PS he's being so cute as I write this: he's curled up in a ball and has the cutest little woof/whimper while he's dreaming, clearly excited in his dreams!)

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I can vouch for poodles having a talent for tracking! My miniature Cali loved to track..... money! She could find it hidden ANYWHERE, behind doors, in cabinets, under a mattress.....ANYWHERE!!!!How many times did she raid my purse and seize only the money! And she never touched the other paper items. just wanted the money!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts