Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Standard Leon has never bitten another dog or person in 8 years. I was raised with standards and I know they are protective but not aggressive. My Leon has been bitten on our own yard by dogs that were on extended leashes and he never once bit back. However today a neighbor had her greyhound off leash and it came in our yard and my dog bit it. I have footage that my dog was in his invisible fence. Has anyone had this happen. The woman who owned the other dog is already threatening to sue us. My poor dog is acting so sad. I think he just has had enough of being attacked in his own yard. We actually live in a very affluent neighborhood but for some reason people think they can let their dogs go leash free. I the past when he was attacked in our yard the neighbors always called and apologized and he was never hurt. I’m just trying to see if any other standard lovers have had this happen. Picture of the accused He goes and plays with cats and all sorts of small dogs . Everyone loves Leon . This woman is know for trying to sue people So if anyone has experienced this i would love to known. Thanks

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
I don’t have any experience with this but I just want to say don’t feel bad or sorry. Your dog was in his own yard. Too bad, so sad. This lady needs to learn to control her dog.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
He is a beautiful boy. I'm sorry this has happened.

Was he in the front yard? I suppose another dog/owner would have no way of knowing there was an invisible fence there. Sounds like an extremely unfortunate experience for all, and I sure hope the greyhound owner reconsiders her position and tries to make amends.

Since Leon has now had multiple bad experiences stuck behind his invisible fence, I would worry about aggression developing. If these incidents did in fact happen in a front yard, I'd consider letting him spend time in the back now instead.

·
Super Moderator
856 Posts
Your situation is a classic scenario in which an invisible fence can teach dogs to be aggressive. The contained dog has no protection against other dogs that come into the property. The contained dog can't flee because it will get zapped. Therefore, its only choice is to fight back when it feels threatened.

As to what happens next, it depends on the regulations in your area. Where I live you would fall under our strict but reasonable vicious dog regulation. Where I live a dog gets one free bite, barring extenuating circumstances. At the second unjustified bite you either have to get rid of the dog or else confine it to your house or a fully enclosed run. (Roof and floor as well as sides) From that point on the dog may only leave the run for vet care, and it must wear a muzzle while in transit. The circumstances you describe are on the edge of whether the incident would be considered a justified bite. It could go either way, depending on the mood of the council. In your shoes I would have installed a physical fence long ago, and that would certainly be my next step now.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I am not understanding how it is your fault when an off leash dog entered your yard. What are the leash laws in your area? I do agree that putting up a real fence is a good idea to protect your dog (especially since he's been bitten in the past by unwelcome company).

I don't have personal experience with my dog biting another dog, but we have a problem with unleashed dogs entering our front yard. My dog has snapped at dogs that have entered her personal space when she is on a leash, so I am extra cautious when I have her in the front yard with me.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I suppose it depends on the laws in your area, but most places will not fault a dog for biting if he is in his own yard and the other dog was running loose. This is assuming your dog never left its yard. Laws are so different, though based on state , city, county, housing regs... and even agricultural laws come into play. I believe I would be checking out the laws, probably by contacting your local animal control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is a beautiful boy. I'm sorry this has happened.

Was he in the front yard? I suppose another dog/owner would have no way of knowing there was an invisible fence there. Sounds like an extremely unfortunate experience for all, and I sure hope the greyhound owner reconsiders her position and tries to make amends.

Since Leon has now had multiple bad experiences stuck behind his invisible fence, I would worry about aggression developing. If these incidents did in fact happen in a front yard, I'd consider letting him spend time in the back now instead.
That’s a good idea. We have several acres. He was in our yard and has never gone after anyone. I think we will now fence in the back with an iron fence but he enjoys going to the front yard and many neighbors stop to say hello or come up in the yard to pet him. It’s very sad to take this away from him. All the children in our neighborhood come to play with him in the front. I have hoped and prayed people would keep their dogs out of our yard. Sad to say that hasn’t happened. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose it depends on the laws in your area, but most places will not fault a dog for biting if he is in his own yard and the other dog was running loose. This is assuming your dog never left its yard. Laws are so different, though based on state , city, county, housing regs... and even agricultural laws come into play. I believe I would be checking out the laws, probably by contacting your local animal control.
I called a friend who is a judge. He was in our yard. We are not liable. It saddens me that people let their dogs off leash or in others yards. I am thankful for video cameras and neighbors who saw this. It makes me sad that a dog can’t be on his own yard without bars. He’s the sweetest dog and never has left the yard in 8 years. He goes to dog daycare and gets A plus and shy on his report card. He is acting very depressed. It breaks my heart. But everything happens for a reason and perhaps this will teach people to use a leash when walking there pets. Thanks for your help. I love this dog more than life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not understanding how it is your fault when an off leash dog entered your yard. What are the leash laws in your area? I do agree that putting up a real fence is a good idea to protect your dog.

I don't have personal experience with my dog biting another dog, but we have a problem with unleashed dogs entering our front yard. My dog has snapped at dogs that have entered her personal space when she is on a leash, so I am extra cautious when I have her in the front yard with me.
It will not be our fault. However this lady was trying to get us to pay her dogs emergency vet bill. Her dog was not bleeding and had no punctures. It’s always in our front yard when another dog comes in after him. It’s good to know we aren’t the only ones. I hate to fence him in the back as so many kids come up to visit him if I have him out and he loves children. Poodles get a bad reputation when after owning four standards since I was two , I can testify they are the best breed on earth. Sad I have to fence my guy in.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
This is sad, that you would have to resort to containing your Leon in the back area but protecting him needs to be a priority. You mentioned that he's been attacked several times by dogs entering your yard. While the invisifence may contain your very handsome boy, Leon, it does not keep him safe.

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
So sorry that this happened to your very handsome dog. I am not a fan of invisible fences - glad to hear that you will be building a fence in back so :Leon will have his own safe place to be. Perhaps the neighboring children could ring you bell and politely ask to play with Leon. This way Leon will still have access to children - and it may be that the children will learn to be considerate. You would of course supervise will they are over for a visit.

·
Super Moderator
2,903 Posts
Oh, I'd like to see this case on Judge Judy. She has zero tolerance for off leash dogs, and I'll bet if you counter sued for trauma to you and your dog over the incident plus your stress from the neighbor's threat, you'd win. Ask your own friend who is a judge about this.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is Leon perhaps reflecting your own mood? Now that you know that you won't have legal issues, perhaps you can relax and he will too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I'd like to see this case on Judge Judy. She has zero tolerance for off leash dogs, and I'll bet if you counter sued for trauma to you and your dog over the incident plus your stress from the neighbor's threat, you'd win. Ask your own friend who is a judge about this.
Thank you I will. She is at the point of harassment after less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thank you I will. She is at the point of harassment after less than 24 hours.
If you have stated the facts, I would just cut off all communication with her. Call the police if the harassment continues. Don't threaten to do it or forewarn her, just do it. Unfortunately, dogs are at the mercy of their owners, and there are too many irresponsible owners. If the dog is injured, it's because the irresponsible owner didn't have it on a leash. You should not be responsible for vet bills in this situation. Hopefully she isn't one of those people who goes around looking for reasons to sue someone.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I am assuming you have a leash law? Where I live all dogs in the city limits not in their own yard have to be on a 6 ft leash. This is one reason I did not invest in an invisible fence. I only let my spoo out if I can be out there with him. I was actually warned that he is so beautiful that I shouldn't leave him out as someone might steal him!

Don't pay the vet bill. I would call the police (or dog catcher) and report this incident. That her dog was off leash and entered your yard to harass or attack your dog.

Then if you get any more flack from her, call the police every time you see her dog off leash, no warning to her.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What do you mean by "bit" the other dog when there's no blood or puncture marks? My mini can look terrifying and vicious and he snaps at other dogs. And it often looks like somebody is about to die. But I'm convinced it's just dog communication because all dogs recover within seconds, walk off without looking traumatized or try to entice play again.

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
I’m glad the law is on Leon’s side of the invisible fence. Unfortunately, I have seen fails of invisible fences, so thumbs up for a real fence.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts