Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to ask about poodle bites. Is having an off bite a common thing in poodles?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
This is a good question and I am interested to see what people think..

I have read that some over bites can possibly correct themselves and the time frame ranges from 6-9 months.?? Also that it is more common then people realize.

If there is a under bite or bad OB these are less likely to correct themselves. The key THEN would be not breed the dog. Some breeders continue to breed, and some do not. But I don't think that an over/under bite always means bad breeding...... if 1 or 2 liter mates have bad teeth it can happen, kind of like humans.

My Poms have slight under bites, although they have been altered I was advised not to breed by my own Vet. (I wasn't planning to anyhow) So that's when I did my homework to look more into the why, and future steps I may need to take.

What other things could cause this in dogs? Besides flukes, and bad breeding?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I haven't seen too many poodles with bad bites. I haven't seen any standards with over or under bites, but have seen some minis and toys with underbites. I think like in humans, bad bites are genetic. For example, my kids both had to have braces and wear glasses, as my hubby and his dad have bad bites and wear glasses. :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Harry's bite is weird. It makes it hard for me to groom his face because his canine tooth sticks out of his mouth at all times. What I mean is that when you stretch the skin back tight to shave the lips he has a canine tooth hanging out over the bottom lip so I can't shave that area as well as I'd like. Not to mention that his lower jaw's teeth are crooked and kind of go in a crooked line towards his tongue instead of a straight line. He eats fine and he chews up bones fine but it's that grooming thing that is hard.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yes thats Aoki. Her's does the same. I just had to have 2 of her teeth pulled a couple months ago...sorry I cannot remember the teeth - I'm terrible! Olie seems like he might have a little overbite but I am waiting to see over the next couple months.

And as for the minis with bad/over shot bites - just an observation.........is mini anything are in higher demand thus I think this is where your bad breeding comes into play.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes thats Aoki. Her's does the same. I just had to have 2 of her teeth pulled a couple months ago...sorry I cannot remember the teeth - I'm terrible! Olie seems like he might have a little overbite but I am waiting to see over the next couple months.

And as for the minis with bad/over shot bites - just an observation.........is mini anything are in higher demand thus I think this is where your bad breeding comes into play.
Really? What was the reason you had to have teeth pulled?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Really? What was the reason you had to have teeth pulled?
Also the Vet told me if her 2 teeth that hang out of the mouth became a problem that they can file them down.....She eats fine too but I can see exactly what you mean when trimming around Harrys mouth thats a tough spot for me anyway.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of his almost did that but it was pretty loose so I pulled it out. Vet said I did a good thing or else it might not have fallen out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had to take one of my toys to have his baby canine teeth pulled because his permanent teeth were coming in and he needed the room in his mouth. I was told this was common in toy dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts