Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought Titan, he had no papers, but I was told he was a full miniature poodle. However, whenever I take him out, everyone always asks me if he's a maltipoo or a bichon or poodle..and I'm starting to question what he is. I personally think he is a poodle because of his personality, ease of learning, etc. But what do you guys think??

Attachments

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
How old is he? He is very cute, however Titan does not look full poodle to me....I could be wrong

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
you'll find that a full bred poodle, with a fluffy face, will always be confused with a 'doodle of some sort! Even the big guys get told they must be a labradoodle!!!

As a puppy, they all look very much the same sort of structure too, it will be more telling when he gets older and you can see the shape of his body and face more. If you want the poodle look, by all means get his face shaved to stop the comments by people, but if you'd rather the fluffy teddy-bear look, then be prepared for the comments forever, even if he later proves by structure he's a poodle!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Your puppy sure is cute!
It's very hard to tell whether a dog is a mix or not while it's still a puppy. Once the puppy coat has gone you'll probably get a better idea of wheter it's a purebred or not, and even then it's sometimes hard to say what breeds are mixed in there if it's not a purebred.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Also get prepared for everyone to think he is a girl, lol :) This happens to Perry all the time, like yesterday at PetSmart. This woman kept calling him a "she", even after I said "oh... he like to blahblahblah". *sigh* Oh well, it's kind of funny anyway

Titan is adorable though! He looks like epitome of puppy, all fluffy and cute!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Poodles as puppies don't have the tight curles that they do when they're adults, so he may look like a maltipoo now, but if he is full bred his fur will curle more. I wouldn't say bichon.. because they don't have their tails docked and their muzzles are shorter. Malti poo is hard to say now, just let him grow a bit more.

When you get him groomed, get him groomed like a poodle (shave face, feet, base of tail) then you wont get questioned at all!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
For me the biggest issue is his pigmentation (color of the muzzle and eyes)- but whatever he is he is ADORABLE !!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update!

UPDATE! Got Titan a groom a couple months ago, but just thought I'd update y'all on his poodle-status.

Titan with a lamb cut/teddy bear face! Now does he look like a poodle? lol..all my family is pretty convinced he's a poodle now. :)

However, I do miss his frumpy puppy look, and will probably get a puppy clip the next time around!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
He is still very cute :):):) !!!!

I still do not think he is a poodle - at least not pure-bred - but that does not matter at all : ))) !!!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Olie has the same color nose, but he is apricot. He is so cute! If the face was clipped short it may be better to tell but Im still betting theres more than poodle there. Also I love his hair on the face, so at the same time I wouldn't cut it!

Reactions: cowpony

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'd say Maltese/Poodle mix. He has a Maltese chest and muzzle, plus his hair look straighter than a Poodles should. He is adorable and I speak from experience when I say Maltese are great little dogs. How does he carry his tail? Maltese (and Bichons) carry their tail curled over their back.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
His muzzle is actually a lot skinnier, but my boyfriend wouldn't let me shave his face down, so I guess we will never know, lol!

I'd say Maltese/Poodle mix. He has a Maltese chest and muzzle, plus his hair look straighter than a Poodles should. He is adorable and I speak from experience when I say Maltese are great little dogs. How does he carry his tail? Maltese (and Bichons) carry their tail curled over their back.
I took the pictures right after his groom so his hair is straighter than normal, but if I don't brush him, his hair does get quite a bit curlier. I was also considering a Maltipoo before ever considering a poodle, so I don't mind if he's mixed :) I'm 100% positive he isn't a full Maltese, though.

As for his tail, from memory...I don't recall that he curls it over his back. It's usually pretty straight, and it occasionally curls. When I get home, I will observe him and let you know!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Oh, he's definately not full Maltese, his hair is way too curly/wavy and his muzzle looks long for a full Malt.

I found this pic of how a Maltese tail lays over the back.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think he looks full poodle. I think where everyone is getting disagreements is that he isn't a show quality poodle. There are soooo many breeders who do not breed for quality thing like black points. He does have liver points which is not desirable (except witha couple of colors) Do not fret over it. He is a doll and you only wanted a pet anyway. The majority of breeders especially with smaller poodles toy/mini do not care about bettering the breed, so my guess is just not the best breeder, but still full poodle

·
Registered
235 Posts
What a cutie. I would guess that he is a full poodle just with a fuzzier face. To bad some gum doesn't get stuck in his face hair on "accodent" so you would just HAVE to shave his face (if you want to) and your bf couldn't complain about it, lol.

He looks like a lot of minis and toys around here with his light eyes and points. Does he have a thinner cottony coat as well? That's common here in conjunction with the light points. He is a cute little guy and I love his name.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts