Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am VERY new to poodles. I specifically like the standard poodle. They are the perfect dog for me when the time comes. I won’t be getting a poodle anytime soon, but I thought I would learn as much as possible in the mean time. So I’ll be asking all the dumb questions and probably use the wrong terminology lol. Please correct me if I’m wrong!
I was researching how to groom a standard poodle and I saw that some people band the dogs hair especially for the continental clip, topknots, or almost any extra long coat. I really love all clips, but the continental clip is one of my favorites. Is banding completely necessary for a pet poodle that won’t be shown? I’m not going to obsess about keeping the hair perfect because I won’t be doing shows. I would also be interested in your grooming routine for your poodle(s), your go-to choice for clips and why, favorite products, etc!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Banding is not necessary unless you grow the topknot out. If I didn’t band the front my girl couldn’t see . The back of Nova’s head is long I don’t band and it mats very quickly and I have to watch it like a hawk . I probably should be banding it . I also should be banding her ears and I am paying for not doing it because it gets in her mouth so now it’s a bit ratty. I will tidy them back up before the next show.

For just a pet I would do a modified continental (there’s a awesome group on Facebook) . So much easier than worrying about banding. I may end up doing that once coat change is over because right now I think her hair is too soft to have a nice poodle short topknot.

In the beginning keeping a longer topknot and ears was easy. Now since we are going through coat change it’s very hard.

I just did this last week and I am still working on it. I am getting my curve shears tomorrow so I am excited.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Banding is not necessary unless you grow the topknot out. If I didn’t band the front my girl couldn’t see . The back of Nova’s head is long I don’t band and it mats very quickly and I have to watch it like a hawk . I probably should be banding it . I also should be banding her ears and I am paying for not doing it because it gets in her mouth so now it’s a bit ratty. I will tidy them back up before the next show.

For just a pet I would do a modified continental (there’s a awesome group on Facebook) . So much easier than worrying about banding. I may end up doing that once coat change is over because right now I think her hair is too soft to have a nice poodle short topknot. View attachment 470477
In the beginning keeping a longer topknot and ears was easy. Now since we are going through coat change it’s very hard.

I just did this last week and I am still working on it. I am getting my curve shears tomorrow so I am excited.
Thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it! I have looked into the modified continental and that’s probably what I’ll go with. It seems easier to maintain which would be good for my first poodle. Nova is adorable btw!

·
Registered
Willow (Silver Beige Miniature Poodle), Kiki (Brown Miniature Poodle)
49 Posts
Nova is beautiful, Mel!

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've been grooming my standard myself, and having fun with different haircuts. I do get a bit of pushing from my husband and kids, lol.
This is how Raffi looks right now.

As you can see, no banding. I like the modified continental (no hip rosettes though), but I made the jacket much smaller this summer so that I don't have to worry about mats under his armpits. Also wanted his sternum short because he was always wading in the pond.
His head a bit crazy ATM, we are working on cording it. I did have it in some bands in the front but my husband hated them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts