Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a poodle and was wondering if it is a family dog or if it will only bond with one person. Our dogs in the past have mostly gravitated to me because I do most of the work. Are poodles more affectionate towards the person who takes care of them the most or will they love everyone in the family?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I think it depends on the dog. Generally they do make good family dogs and like multiple people, but of course they will form special relationships with those that are more involved with training, play, and feeding. With my mini, I am the one who does all of the feeding, walking, training, and most of the play. But he still really loves my boyfriend and is super happy when my other friends come to visit and sits on their laps as well. What you're going to want to look for is a confident, gregarious puppy that likes everybody. A good breeder will help pair you with the right pup based on temperament.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don’t know if it is particular to the poodle size, early socialization, or just individual personalities.

My Grandma has had toy poodles almost 20 years, and although they were social with others, they would go days without eating if she left them for any reason (even though my Grandpa was there, and did at least half their care). They were a little snippy too, but perhaps that’s a socialization issue (Probably). My Mom inherited her sister’s toy poodle, and it has guarding issues— won’t let anyone but my Mom near her— growls even at my Dad. At age 17, I don’t think that’s being fixed. Again, I think that she was not well-socialized as a puppy (allowed certain behaviors as a 5lb dog).

With our mini, he was simply the life of the party, and happy with all people, but definitely favored myself (like Raindrops mentioned).

Our standard is a big fan of everyone— Dad and my son are her favorites for outside play, My daughter is picked for night time sleeping, but I’m the one feeding and training (and she will listen best to me, if she has the naughty moment), she’s my brother’s best friend at family events (this MAY have something to do with the sly way I see occasional bits of meat disappearing under the table)... And anyone leaving the house without her causes momentary distress (even visitors! ☺). So I would definitely say she has bonded with our family and even friends, and not just one person.

Poodles are definitely the best family dogs I could imagine, at least in the miniature and standard sizes. Smart, no shedding, loving, and fun!

·
Registered
143 Posts
My Sammy loves everyone in the family and loves close friends/visitors, but to a lessor degree. He is social and kind to everyone he is familiar with, but it is clear he is "my dog". More so than with previous family dogs that grew up with my children.

My kids are grown, live at home but have their own lives, so Sammy and I spend alot of time "just us". He is great with everyone in the family, but I wouldn't say he is a good family dog. Then again, it depends on your family.

I would not recommend a toy poodle for any family with young children, explosive environment, unpredicable routines. I think this may be true for all sizes of poodles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Happy has formed strong bonds with everyone in the family – although differently. I’d like to say I’m her favorite, but she clearly loves my wife and kids. It’s me for walks, play and grooming; my wife for treats, meals and discipline; my young son for roughhouse; and my teenage daughter for reasons unknown. Happy greets everyone with great enthusiasm as we wake in the morning or return from work/school, and is pretty equal with her cuddle time. Bottom line, if everyone in the family is involved with your puppy, your puppy should form close and unique bonds within your family. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,685 Posts
Happy has formed strong bonds with everyone in the family – although differently. I’d like to say I’m her favorite, but she clearly loves my wife and kids. It’s me for walks, play and grooming; my wife for treats, meals and discipline; my young son for roughhouse; and my teenage daughter for reasons unknown. Happy greets everyone with great enthusiasm as we wake in the morning or return from work/school, and is pretty equal with her cuddle time. Bottom line, if everyone in the family is involved with your puppy, your puppy should form close and unique bonds within your family. Good luck.
This made me smile. Your description of Happy's "equal but different" relationships with your family members reminds me so much of Peggy.

I love how poodles adjust and adapt. They do this with people. They do it with other dogs, too.

Peggy, for example, is gentle with shy dogs, and has never jumped on anyone with mobility issues. We need a name for that....

Maybe the Poodle Throttle?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I think a poodle makes an excellent family dog especially if you are an active family. They like to be busy, run, jump, and play. An overall good dog. Frankly there are many breeds that are good family dogs, but the nice thing about poodles is they do not shed. We are a household of 4 (adults) and he loves each of us though he does have his favorites and those are who feed & play the most. He is not fond of strangers but will accept them in given time, he would not like a bunch of kids running in and out of the house but that would be because he wasn't exposed to it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yes they do like to be busy. I have 2 spoo’s (girls) that are quite different. They are both friendly toward people but are a bit shy at first. I never used to think I’d get another dog after Belle and Princess but the breed is so loving I may not be able to live without them. Best of luck in your search

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have a 13 week old standard poodle puppy that we've had just over a month. Even though I do almost all of the training, she still loves on my husband and our 11 and 9 year old kids. I don't think she has a favorite that I can tell. Although she listens to me best since I train the most. But she is genuinely excited to see each family member as they wake every morning... Greeting them all with a tail wag and leaning in for attention. She's is exceptionally sweet and mild mannered... And also not overly confident or "alpha"... But she does great with everyone and is mild mannered with strangers as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts