Poodle Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
If you find a good, poodle-savvy groomer to get you started, you can learn by following their lines. They will also help get your puppy accustomed to the grooming process, ideally by going very slowly to start. This will make it much easier for you to practise, as you won’t have to simultaneously cope with excessive wiggling (or worse).

Will your breeder also do a couple of grooms before your puppy comes home?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hi DogSavvy, thank you so much fpr sharing your expérience and knowledge. I trully appreciate the passion and kindness that comes put of your story. I agree with you, I think dobermans will always be in heart, maybe in few years, if time is right and we find the right breeder... (Whatever that would mean in few years ..). The health issues we see in europe are devastating and bring so many insecurities to potential owners, like me.
On the SPoo side: I am scared of the poodle grooming. So far i seem to prefer the "teddy bear" cut and also I hope i can maintain it by myself. I am getting all my gear set up, with the help of the breeder advises. will see.
Wish me luck, will share pictures as soon as we get some news!
Thanks again for all your help!
Hi DogSavvy, thank you so much fpr sharing your expérience and knowledge. I trully appreciate the passion and kindness that comes put of your story. I agree with you, I think dobermans will always be in heart, maybe in few years, if time is right and we find the right breeder... (Whatever that would mean in few years ..). The health issues we see in europe are devastating and bring so many insecurities to potential owners, like me.
On the SPoo side: I am scared of the poodle grooming. So far i seem to prefer the "teddy bear" cut and also I hope i can maintain it by myself. I am getting all my gear set up, with the help of the breeder advises. will see.
Wish me luck, will share pictures as soon as we get some news!
Thanks again for all your help!

Anytime. I love that breed so very much but I hate to see anyone go forward on a Dobie without the unvarnished truth.

Now let me tell you. I have a Giant Schnauzer. She will soon be 10 & I have been her only groomer since she left her breeder. I did NOT know how to do anything with a set of clippers or scissors when it comes to hair. My own hair dresser chuckles & very patiently guides me through dealing with my own hair (LOL). But my breeder sent a dvd showing exactly how to groom the Giant Schnauzer AND sent home a 1000 page manual which also includes cartoon type drawings with arrows to follow on which way to go with the clippers & so forth. So I had 8 years of practice before I found the right SPOO. I thought, NO PROBLEMO. I taught myself how to groom the Giant. I taught myself how to quilt. Taught myself to play the guitar. Currently learning how to yodel (be glad you can't hear that... yikes). I can SURELY train myself to groom Poodle. Well... Poodle hair is a beast but if I can do it, I believe you can too. I'm not all that great with my own hair (thankfully the good Lord gave me hair that doesn't require a lot of work). Schnauzer & my hair... not so hard... Poodle hair fights back.

You'll want to look at youtube videos (lots of excellent free stuff there). You'll want to learn what line combing is. It's very important. Gotta get to the skin & make certain it's all tangle & stuff free from the skin out. Learn about proper drying of the Poodle & how to use heat & a hv dryer to get the hair straight. Always remember, it's just hair. If you goof, it grows back. Honestly, if I can do it anyone can. My husband swears up & down that I will get the hang of Poodle hair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Dear All! Sunny days and his brother/sisters arrived yesterday!!!!. We are watching the evolution between 2 puppies to decide. Exciting
and happy times ahead!
Once we decide I will post his pictures in the introduction board.
Thanks and happy Sunday

·
Registered
990 Posts
Congratulations! I look forward to hearing more.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby ! I was wondering if temperament was important to you and would the puppies be evaluated and possibly interchanged in a few weeks if this little one doesn’t have the temperament you are looking for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Congratulations on your new baby ! I was wondering if temperament was important to you and would the puppies be evaluated and possibly interchanged in a few weeks if this little one doesn’t have the temperament you are looking for?
Thanks Dechi, yes, it is very important to us, one of the reasons we finally decided for this specific breeder. We will be watching his évolution very closely.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Yes, standard poodles are Dobermans in drag - and with a college degree.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts